PDA

View Full Version : lizardmen loadouts?

grailknight
10-06-2009, 12:49
anyone got any tips about outfitting lizzi characters, new to the army and wanting to know the best way to kit stuff out?

thanks in advance

Eulogy2
10-06-2009, 12:55
I avoid magic item heavy characters. i find the points are better spent on more troops.

Your typical LM fighting hero will do fine with a GW, cold one, light armor and shield. at most i may use a sword of might if im playing ogres(which i do alot).

for the slann ill sometimes take cupped hands or bane head. maybe a dispell scrolls.

the priest on the EOTG almost always gets the +1 spell item.

willowdark
10-06-2009, 13:35
If you take the Slann w/ banehead and the +1 spell priest on Engine, then a Scar Vet with the Jaguar charm and great weapon is absolutely brutal. With st7 I now that this guy can dive-bomb whatever he wants in the magic phase and either completely wipe it out or seriously cripple it. Chariots, Hydras, Treemen. Knowing this guys there makes it almost impossible to actively dispel that machine gun Slann, since, at PL5, I know I need to save 2 dispel dice to reliably dispel the Jag charm at the end of the phase.

I use the Same tactic with my Cloak of Shadows Assassin and it has shown a lot of potential. Seeing it on the other side of the board has shown me how terrifying it can be. The Slann is just so much better at putting on the pressure in the magic phase.

hardygun
10-06-2009, 17:33
A tooled up Scar-Vet build that looks good on paper is:

Maiming Shield
Venom of the Firefly Frog
Cold One
Light Armor
Spear

4 Str 6 poison/magic attacks on the charge, 1 Str 5 magic attack, 1 Str 4 attack, and a 1+ AS.

Gaargod
10-06-2009, 17:48
If you're putting a scar vet on a cold one, don't give him a great weapon. If you want to be cheap, give him a halberd. Saves a point and means he doesn't strike last, for no penalties...

I like Scar vet with piranha blade, enchanted shield, light armour, cold one = 160pts. Gives fear immunity to a unit and let him challenge stuff - 0+ save and T5 should mean he'll survive most anything a champion can kick out, and he'll get some tasty overkill from the blade. Not cheap, but effective.

Skink priest on engine with Plaque of Tepok (and maybe scroll), to make a nice lv3 wizard. If he's your only magic defense, go for diadem and scroll, to get 6 DD.

Skink chief (with BSB if no Slann) with warspear on ancient steg is standard 'charge, things run away' build.

Oldblood with Blade of realities, light armour, enchanted shield is common (i prefer talisman of protection and shield, even though its slightly more expensive)

Necromancy Black
11-06-2009, 00:22
Scar Vet with Piranha Blade, Enchanted Shield, light armour and Cold One is my standard taking. Throw him a unit with 5 COR with no champion, give the standard bearer the Huanchi Totem and let them go. He's great at challanging unit champions because of all the Overkill you can get, and against most heroes he only needs to wound once to kill them.

artyboy
11-06-2009, 03:52
If I take a slann he gets cupped hands every time. Besides that I usually just give him power stones and/or diadem. The 2+ ward save against ranged attacks can be a good one to take as well if you know you'll be facing a really shooty army. If you're using a slann then he should be your standard bearer and he should be in a unit of temple guard.

An old blood on a carnosaur with blade of realities is pretty sick. A scar vet on a cold one with piranha blade and enchanted shield or shield of maiming can wreak havoc in CC.

You can go one of two routes with shaman. Either put them in a EotG and give him diadem or plaque + a dispel scroll or make him a scroll caddy on foot. Warchiefs don't have a lot of viable loadouts, either. You can put them on a stegadon with the war spear or put them on a terradon with the shooty staff or piranha blade and bane head.

dsw1
11-06-2009, 05:19
I personally like the Saurus Scar vet to have Hide of a cold one (or what ever it's called, my book isn't handy). Give him a great weapon and you're rolling. 4 s7 attacks and T6? Yes please, it also makes your unit (that he joins) immune to fear... though it does make the unit stupid too.

Necromancy Black
11-06-2009, 06:23
If you're using a slann then he should be your standard bearer and he should be in a unit of temple guard.

Yes to Battle Standard Bearer, not to TG :p I run my Slann solo and thus far the only thing that has manage to wound let alone kill it was Karl Franz on a dragon. And even then that was due to CR and not any actual wounds.

Valkia on the other hand has tried charging my Slann twice and got killed both times from it :p

Gaargod
11-06-2009, 13:20
Lol, what?

I assume Valkia charged, bounced off protection, you counter charged and ran her down while she was still sitting there in challenge with Slann from combat res?

If so, /clap

Whaagnomore
11-06-2009, 15:06
I usually kit out my Old Blood with maiming shield, Scimitar of the sun resplendant, light armor, carnosaur.

This will result in 8 str5 attacks, 4 str7 attacks, and one extra on both the oldblood and carny as soon as the carny has drawn blood.

Troah
11-06-2009, 15:28
I enjoy having an Old Blood/Scar Veteran with a great weapon, The venom of the fire frog (and Hide of the Cold One(If Old Blood)). Or sometimes I go crazy and have an Old Blood on a Carnosaur with the Mainming Shield, The magic sword with 2 attacks (Can't remember the name atm), Carnosaur Pendent, and Light Armor.

My Skink Priest on an Engine of the Gods normally brings the Diadem of Power.

Meh Slaan is normally a nakiebutt.

dsw1
11-06-2009, 17:09
Or sometimes I go crazy and have an Old Blood on a Carnosaur with the Mainming Shield, The magic sword with 2 attacks (Can't remember the name atm), Carnosaur Pendent, and Light Armor.

ou don't need the carnosaur pendant if you are on a carnosaur. You'll get the Carnosaurs frenzy anyway.

Troah
11-06-2009, 17:14
The Carnosaur's Blood-Frenzy only works on the Carnosaur if I remember right, I don't have the book in handy atm. the Carnosaur Pendent makes the rider blood-frenzied.

Atleast that's what I think is right.

dsw1
11-06-2009, 17:17
The Carnosaur's Blood-Frenzy only works on the Carnosaur if I remember right, I don't have the book in handy atm. the Carnosaur Pendent makes the rider blood-frenzied.

Atleast that's what I think is right.

It works like normal frenzy but can't be lost, normal frenzy that effects the rider would also effect the mount and vica versa. I'm fairly sure that is how it works anyway :D

Troah
11-06-2009, 17:22
Mmmm I never knew that. But then again I never had an army that really had frenzy. Bretonnia doesn't and for Lizardmen only the Carnosaur has it.

Ax'ataxa
11-06-2009, 17:23
I think the point being made was that, if the carnosaur got shot out from under him, the lord would lose his frenzy if he did not have the pendant.

Troah
11-06-2009, 17:28
I think the point being made was that, if the carnosaur got shot out from under him, the lord would lose his frenzy if he did not have the pendant.

*Shifty eyes* Yeeeaaaaah sure. :D

Desert Rain
11-06-2009, 17:33
A Scar-Vet with Light Armour and a Great Weapon is one of the most effective heroes for it's cost in the entire game. Last time I used him he killed a giant on his own in 2 turns of combat!