PDA

View Full Version : On meatshields

Dark Lord Sauron
10-06-2009, 16:45
I'm getting back into fantasy after many long years of neglect and have begun a Cabal army ... for old times sake ... and because Tzeentch is awesome :) I first bought a very standard loadout to start painting: 2 units of warriors, 2 units of knights, a lord and two boxes of chosen ... having too much on my desk is depressing so I figured I would start small. While I still have a bit of work to do on these units, I am looking for a bit of advice on army composition later down the road. Namely, should I make extensive use of marauders, warhounds and other meatshields? Currently, as the Cabal, every unit that can have the Mark of Tzeentch is going to. W/ the blasted standard, that means every unit has a 4+ ward against all shooting attacks. Should I still get meatshields even w/ this protection? Is the blasted standard a good move? What would you recommend I buy/convert from here? Would a hellcannon be a wise choice? A warshrine? I'm going to pack my hero/lord choices w/ sorcerers so this will be about as "shooty" a chaos army as can be had :) Thanks in advance for any input!

pointyteeth
10-06-2009, 16:55
Cabal army, nice! Um, there might be a misunderstanding here, but the blasted standard only gives the unit its in the ward save, and you can only have one per army. It is definately a good move to put it in an expensive unit like chosen, or a large warrior block. If you're looking for shooty, the hellcannon is the way to go. Just pray it doesn't misfire & roll a 2 or your wizards might be in trouble :p

Dark Lord Sauron
10-06-2009, 17:06
Ah, I thought I could have more than one ... my mistake. Meatshields become a bit more necessary then!

Lafkak
10-06-2009, 17:35
Yes, meatshields are necessary. Hellcannon is great for being a rearguard that is also a stonethrower and immune to the traditional methods of killing war machines (fast cav, scouts, cheap fliers). Also, make sure you bring the infernal puppet and cackle when the hellcannon misfire makes all wizards on the table miscast. Fun times.