PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts of Empire

Sir Lambard
10-06-2009, 22:07
im starting a new empire army, and after looking at the army book, i have come up with this list:

Lord
Templar Grand Master-240pts
Sword of Power, Laurels of Victory

Heroes
Battle Standard Bearer-125pts
Armour of Meteoric Iron, Icon of Magnus

Battle Wizard-130pts
Lv.2, Rod of Power

Battle Wizard-125pts
Lv.2, Dispel Scroll

Core
10 Knights-295pts
Full Command, War Banner

25 Swordsmen-175 pts
Full Command

25 Swordsmen-175pts
Full Command

10 Handgunners-80pts

10 Handgunners-80pts

Special
24 Greatswords-270pts
Full Command

Great Cannon-100pts

Great Cannon-100pts

5 Pistoliers-107pts
Outrider, Repeater Pistol
Total: 2002/2000
the Grand Master will go with knights, and the standard bearer will go in Greatswords, while the mages roam

comments and criticism are welcome, also, need help filling out till 2k

thanks

i made the changes according to everyones input, which i am very grateful for
i feel this is more solid and will help protect my line and artillery better
any more advice will be greatly appreciated

Orthanus
10-06-2009, 23:41
The kngihts unit is too big, go with 2 units of 7 and 8 instead, remember knights are US2 so only 3 are needed for a full rank, so 5 on front and 3 making second rank makes 8 a good number.

I would take either a Wizard Lord or a Grand Master for your lord choice as you not given him the war alter. Warrior Priests are good as a jack of all trades character but it doesn't work well in your lord choice.

Drop the Marksman and free company on handgunners and take em as detachments on swordsmen, the leave your swordsmen behind to defend seige weapons

Take a Hell Blaster Storm Battery for tightly packed enemy infantry.

Take a Hell Blaster Volley Gun for enemy heavy cavalry

Drop a cannon

Take rod of power

This wizards will be marmalized if you dont put them on horses for fleeing or in a unit.

What lores, will you be using on wizards?

its late, sorry about the messy delivery, thats all I can think of atm.

Jind_Singh
11-06-2009, 06:57
The kngihts unit is too big, go with 2 units of 7 and 8 instead, remember knights are US2 so only 3 are needed for a full rank, so 5 on front and 3 making second rank makes 8 a good number

Really? I didn't know that - what section does it talk about that? I always thought it was 5 models to make a rank, not unit strength - in which case Ogres get a rank with 3 models!

OK as for the list, looks great paper but you'll run into problems.
You negate your knights biggest advantage - flexibility. It's a huge unit and a well placed scout or other such unit will prevent them marching.
NExt, a well placed enemy tarpit unit will hold the knights until the battles over, and it's easily done in todays world!

The swordman are great - but really need detachments - by decreasing your knights you'll be able to bump up detachments as without them they wont work so great - you really need to wipe out flank bonus with the detachment rules - only thing that makwes empire troops worth their points in todays world.

2 great cannons are fine - theres a saying that you should always run a pair of great cannons - so no problems.

Jind_Singh
11-06-2009, 06:59
you could also drop the 10 free company and use that as your detachment - you dont need a 5 man detachment. what happens is the minute you lose 1 troop they are usless! below unit strength 5 so they wont even negate ranks! and with no armour save they will drop like flies!
turn them into 10 halbardiers - and use them as detachment for either one sword unit or great swords.
luckily the grreat swords are stuborn anyway so i'd stick with boosting the chances of swordsmen instead.

Gokamok
11-06-2009, 10:18
First of all, you need 5 models in each rank to get rank bonus. End of story.

As for the army itself, I can see a few things that I think you'd benefit from changing:

1) 2 lvl 2 wizards will give you only 6 power dice, which likely won't give you much (if anything) in terms of spellcasting. I'd replace them with a lvl 1 with Rod of Power and either another lvl 1 with 2 scrolls or a Warrior Priest. If you're not going heavy on magic, you're better off boosting your magic defense.

2) 15 knights is way too much for 1 unit. Perhaps take a unit of 6 to go with your general and upgrade them to Inner Circle for a really nice hammer unit, and another unit of 5 knights with only a musician. A small unit of 1+ AS knights have a lot of uses in an Empire army.

3) Your Swordsmen units should probably be bigger, I'd say around 25 in each unit so they can keep their rank bonus for as long as possible. Also, you should try to find points for Swordsmen detachments for your Swordsmen and Greatswords units. 9 is generally considered a good size for combat detachments.

4) Your handgunners don't really need detachments, you'll usually be able to take out any threats to them before they get there, and flyers/fast cavalry will usually go for your cannons anyway. Also, if you go for Marksmen, give them Hochland Rifles or don't bother taking them at all.

5) Give your BSB a barded warhorse. He really needs the extra save since you're putting him in the front line:)

grailknight
11-06-2009, 12:34
take the knights as at least 2 units or drop some and take helblaster!

good list though and nice to see no lectors on a war chariot

Commodus Leitdorf
11-06-2009, 13:04
im starting a new empire army, and after looking at the army book, i have come up with this list:

Lord
Templar Grand Master-240pts
Sword of Power, Laurels of Victory

Good, though I prefer giving him the Holy Relic and just letting him use a lance. You don't want your GM stuck in combat and if he is, he's in trouble. You want to smash em the first turn, so I find a lance to be good enough.

Heroes
Battle Standard Bearer-138pts
Griffon Standard, Full Plate

Hes pretty vulnerable. I suggest dropping the banner as hes going to be with the Greatswords anyway and needs to make sure they hold so you can pull some nice flank charges. I suggest giving him the Armor of Meteoric Iron and the Icon of Magnus. Now you have a unit of Greatswords that is stubborn, immune to fear and can re-roll break tests on 8 all on a character with a +1 armour save.

Battle Wizard-100pts
Lv.2

One of them needs the Rod of Power, it can boost your magic or your dispelling. If I only have one wizard in my army, he always has that item.

Battle Wizard-100pts
Lv.2

Pop a scroll on him just in case ;)

Core
15 Knights-410pts
Full Command, War Banner

A little too big, make them 9 and put your GM here....though the look of a huge unit of knights like that running down the field my look pretty cool!

20 Swordsmen-145 pts
Full Command

20 Swordsmen-145pts
Full Command

Make them 25. As a general rule for empire troops the minimum number of guys you should have in a unit is 25. I personally run 30 in a unit as I like being able to take a beating from magic/shooting before I lose my ranks in combat.

Secondly, they need detachments. I suggest the 9 man 3x3 swordsmen detachment. Its small and maneuverable while at the same time being cheap enough to sacrifice if needed.

10 Handgunners-110pts
Marksman
5 Free Company

10 Handgunners-110pts
Marksman
5 Free Company

I suggest dropping the marksman and the detachments. If your guns are going to die, there going to die and its best to limit the amount you will lose in point then trying to spend more to stop it.

Now you you really want to protect them I suggest a unit of pistoliers should be thrown in somewhere. they can run out and let loose a nasty volley on anything that will run down your handgunners and then run and harass the enemy.

Special
20 Greatswords-230pts
Full Command

good solid center line. I'd make it 25 (or 24 if BSB goes here) but not strictly necessary.

Great Cannon-100pts

Great Cannon-100pts

You should NEVER leave home without two, good choice!

Take what you will from my advice, and your own flavor to it as you wish.

Orthanus
11-06-2009, 17:55
I was thinking unit strength, and it was early morning, give me a break

Gokamok
11-06-2009, 18:03
I'd recommend cutting the Knights down to 6 strong in the revised list, and spend the points on Swordsmen detachments for your 3 main blocks. The detachment rule is the strongest part of the Empire book, so you're helping your opponent a lot by not using it.

As previously mentioned, I can't see any reason to upgrade your mages to lvl 2, as you probably won't get any relevant spells off anyway. In my opinion, the points would be better spent on more troops.