PDA

View Full Version : Empire Huntsman, Any Good?

Nicha11
11-06-2009, 02:40
What do you think of Empire archers/ Huntsman, do you use them?

If so how?

sid13
11-06-2009, 05:52
If you're using your archers as bait, it can be useful to get them up in front quickly. Sadly that means that they'll also cause panic. Also they could go lone mage hunting, but who really leaves their mage in the open like that?

Admittedly I haven't tried huntsmen much. I'll definitely be using them when I pick up some new archers, however.. :D

Chaos Undecided
11-06-2009, 10:30
As far as archer units go I can see three reasons for using them.

a) as skirmish screens shielding your main units from enemy fire
b) being that they can move and fire they are more suited as missile detachments to infantry companies in an aggressive Empire force
c) you want to do an army themed around one of the poorer states such as Stirland or Ostermark where gunpowder weapons may be in short supply.

Huntsmen can be used pretty much like any other scouting skirmishers as distractions, march blockers and going after warmachine crews and mages though I think they're one of the weakest of such units in the game being otherwise just a unarmored human with a regular bow.

Gazak Blacktoof
11-06-2009, 10:44
Huntsmen

Use them to march block, pick on targets of opportunity and force people to protect their war machines. If they survive, have them contest one of your opponent's table quarters. I'd avoid committing them against most armies as they'll just give up VPs and their attacks probably wont amount to anything.

March blocking is great in any army as it prevents your opponent bringing their forces to bear in a coordinated and timely fashion. With the fire power available to an empire general you can use the extra time available to you to inflict significantly more damage at range as well. If used well huntsmen can act as a force multiplier, though they wont actually score you many victory points by killing things.

Archers

360 fields of fire make them best on the flanks whilst you can use the more powerful ranged troops in the centre where they will always have a target. If used as a detachment archers can flee through other units without causing panic.

Commodus Leitdorf
11-06-2009, 10:53
I have used Huntsmen to great effect. They are a real nuisance to my opponents and can help deal with fast cav and other light targets, all the while slowing down his battleline.

The catch is I find it difficult to justify the 100pt cost on a unit I may just have to throw away to get an advantageous charge. Use them a few times and see how they work for you is the best advice I can give.

As for archers, they are great diverters and screens. Unlike the other missle troops you can buy as a detachment, they are meant to be deployed infront, so they take up less room on the battleline (which can be a premium in an empire army.)

I've never tried archers as a stand alone unit to guard warmachines and such so I cant give a good oppinion on them.

Irisado
11-06-2009, 11:35
In my experience, Huntsmen are very effective when used as march blockers against Vampire Counts.

Vampire Counts have next to no shooting, so Huntsmen don't have to worry about being shot to ribbons, so if you can manage to get them behind the lines of a Vampire Count army on one flank, you can slow down the advance of some of the Undead units, fragmenting the Vampire Count player's attack, giving you more time to pick off his/her units one at a time.

For further thoughts about Huntsmen, you may find this short article (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2536327&postcount=66) useful.

I haven't used Archers for years, so I can't comment on them, but I am reliably informed that they make for good detachments due to their ability to divert and screen, as others who have posted in this thread have indicated.

kardar233
11-06-2009, 23:54
For me however, that's what a Varghulf is for. ;)

Aranel
12-06-2009, 00:56
For an army with so many guns, the ability to march block can never be underestimated.

Kalec
12-06-2009, 02:17
The problem with huntsmen is that they compete with cannons and pistoliers, and are not much cheaper then knights who can marchblock well enough and are much harder to kill, even with half the models of a huntsmen unit.

loveless
12-06-2009, 03:57
The problem with huntsmen is that they compete with cannons and pistoliers, and are not much cheaper then knights who can marchblock well enough and are much harder to kill, even with half the models of a huntsmen unit.

Huntsmen are Core...you just only get 1 unit of them. They don't compete for the Special slots you mention.

Lord Dan
12-06-2009, 05:47
and are not much cheaper then knights who can marchblock well enough and are much harder to kill

You ever tried killing a 10-man skirmishing unit hiding in woods?

Laughingmonk
12-06-2009, 05:53
You ever tried killing a 10-man skirmishing unit hiding in woods?

Black knights tend to do this very fast.... ;)

Irisado
12-06-2009, 10:52
Black knights tend to do this very fast.... ;)

If Black Knights are wasting their time killing Huntsmen in woods in the Vampire Count player's half of the table though, this is excellent news of an empire player, as it keeps a very powerful unit away from more vulnerable infantry blocks, so Huntsmen are doing an even better job if can lure units into attacking them.

The same goes for the Banshee and Wraiths, which are a real pain for Empire players to deal with in my view, so if they get sent off into a wood to deal with Huntsmen, it's another great result for the Empire in my opinion.

Keller
12-06-2009, 20:26
I certainly love Empire archers and Huntsmen. Their ability to skirmish makes them invaluable and able to provide great tactical flexibility.

Huntsmen of course are perfect for march blocking or harassing, but could double as a normal archer unit if needbe or if there are no scoutable areas to deploy in.

What I like about archers is their ability to move and fire, but the skirmish ability actually makes that ability moot much of the time by nature of giving them 360 degree LoS.

One of the biggest weaknesses in Empire shooting is that it is largly move-or-fire. When a unit of fast cav, scouts, flyers, tunnelers, etc, manage to get outside of your firing arcs, your handguns and crossbows cannot turn to eliminate the threat without wasting 3+ turns. In order to deal with these units, you have to give up your shooting or divert a unit from the battle line to protect your flank/rear against these sneaky attackers. Not so if you have a few archers, who can fire on the enemy menace from the turn they present themselves, or even move to block and still fire into them. For this reason, Archers have become very common in my armies, despite being inferior to handguns/crossbows for sheer firepower.

Of course, Archers make great screening units thanks to their skirmish ability.

With their natural protection against shooting, they make perfect bodyguard units, as well. A wizard joining a unit of archers provides a greatly mobile unit with good ability to soak up shooting and dish out plenty of damage.

I generally field archers as detachments of 6-12, used as screens as units advance (rarely for stand and shoot response) rear-guard units, or as body guards for wizards, depending on my set up, terrain, and enemy units.