PDA

View Full Version : On the stategic advantages of the magnificent GIANTS

happy_doctor
11-06-2009, 09:36
Salutations to you all, fellow warseers!

Just as the title of the topic states, I'd like to discuss here the qualities of this Rare choice, be it a Dogs of War giant, a Chaos Giant, an Orcs n' Goblins Giant or an ogre Slavegiant.

I've recently had some very good results using a Dogs of War giant in my skaven moulder list (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201176) (represented by the old Vermin Lord model). In fact, he has become such an integral part of my army list that I cannot imagine my army performing without the aid of this big fella.

So, how does one use a giant correctly and what battlefield tasks can he perform?

In my experience, the most important thing when using a giant is to bide your time; exposing him to enemy shooting and magic without a plan is what leads to dead giants and mass panic all around. Every army has warmachine hunters, allow them to deal with the enemy shooting as fast as possible and then reveal your giant.

This doesn't mean that your precious monster has to spend half the game inactive, it just means that he has to hug terrain, covering charge/march lanes as he goes and generally being intimidating. Being the rank breaker that he is, a 3rd or 4th turn charge is enough for him to make his money back, no need to rush things.

In short, the uses I've found for my giant:

1. Fire magnet: Normally this isn't a good thing (my skaven are cheap, he's expensive), but I can see this being of use in an ogre or chaos army. Presenting the enemy with several expensive and important threats usually means he will spread his fire, hopefully sparing some or all of them in the process.

2. Tar Pit: Needless to say, a stubborn terror causer with an Ld of 10 is very difficult to shift! However, T5 with no armour save means that unless you pick your targets wisely, he won't be around for long. Optimal targets have either low initiative, low Weaponskill, low strength or low number of attacks. Targets to avoid include combat characters inside units (only 1 in 6 chance of actually hitting the character), ogre sized units (barring yell and bawl, all other attacks mean that you'll be on the receiving end of no less than 6 high strength attacks) and units with poison. Ironically, he can easily shrug off a cavalry attack, so that's an ability you want to exploit. Keep the BSB nearby and you've got a virtually unbreakable monster.

3.Monster Killer: Amongst large targets, a giant is the top dog. His initiative of 3 means that he will be hitting before Dragons, Treemen, Varghulfs, Stegadons, Bone Giants and the such. Looking at the "Big things" table, it's obvious that if he gets the charge against such targets (or if he survives the initial charge), these won't be striking back at all.
The tricky part is how to pin such monsters down long enough for him to attack! Careful baiting is required, plus another tactic I like to employ: Give the enemy an overrun into the giant, then countercharge him with a ranked unit. Challenge with the unit's champion and get cut down, next round your giant will be striking before the opposition!!

4.Terror Bomb: If everything else isn't working, terrorizing your enemies off the board might! Works well in conjunction with spells that lower the enemy leadership, such as Doom and Darkness from the Death Lore.

5.Flanker: If you can get your giant in a position to flank ranked units, you'll be fighting a winning battle since he's US6 and can break ranks.

Additional qualities that you should take into consideration are:
-Immune to panic (can flee through him with your bait with impunity)
-NOT immune to psychology (you can flee with him if you think he can't handle the opposition - he'll easily rally next turn)
-Immune to fear/terror - in my skaven he's one of the few units that can't be autobroken through fear and that doesn't have to pass a leadership test to charge undead or daemon units.
-High movement rate: You can outrun all infantry units, use this to your advantage. It means that you can pick your fights most of the time.

So, that's what I had to offer!

I'm looking forward to reading your experiences with the Giant and the cunning tactics you employ with them!

Cheers,

Happy_doctor

Hulkster
11-06-2009, 09:58
I always use 2 in my goblin armies

I have always found 1 to get shot to death, but 2 working together will murder anything they come across

i use them to smash units and cause as mch terror as possible, tactics change depending on the army, but generally i send them up 1 flank and hope to smash through and cause units to flee

BlankScreen
11-06-2009, 10:54
Before the release of the current DE army book, I was using A giant in my list. He protected one of my flank most of the time and killed anything that came it way. i used him to bait quit often or as a road block to control the direction of my opponent units. running one next to the "old Hydra" was a deadly combo.

MarcoPollo
11-06-2009, 16:06
The comments about not exposing your giant too quickly is important to note. I think of him like a "queen" in chess. Bring him out on your terms and if your warmachine hunters can't do the trick you may just want to keep him protected to avoid giving away free VP.

I use one in my chaos tourney army (he is perhaps my most beautifully painted model). Give him Mark of Slaanesh so he strikes first and he is an imposing flank protector. One of the most overlookd features is his movment 6. He can race across the field with cavalry or other Ogre class models and do his part.

He can be a liability when he falls down. I have had a few unlucky falls/near misses with him. But that can also go the other way too. If your opponent is playing with a combat deathstar, you might want to send him to take out some of the front rank once he dies and falls.

Condottiere
11-06-2009, 17:07
The Giant acts best as a missile magnet, especially if you can present two other expensive targets, your opponent has to decide what he wants to eliminate first. The Giant is usually easier as a target; this tactic does commit you to an all out attack.