PDA

View Full Version : WoC new player

New_Disease
11-06-2009, 21:19
Well, I'm about to start my first Fantasy Army, adding another drain to my wallet besides 40k ^^;

I would love to start a Warriors of Chaos army so here is the list I thought about using. Horribly unrefined I'm sure. :(

Comments and any other help would be appreciated ^^

Lords

1 x Sorceror Lord
Level 4
MoT
DoT
Spell Familiar

1 x Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
MoS
Power Familiar

1 x Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
MoN
Power Familiar

Core

20 x Chaos Warriors
Shields
Musician
BSB
MoN

14 x Chaos Warriors
Shields
Halberds
Musican
BSB
MoK

7 x Marauder Horseman
Flails

25 x Marauders
BSB
Musician
MoS

Special

5 x Chaos Knights
Musician
BSB
Blasted Standard

20 x Chosen
MoN
Shields
Musician
BSB
BoR

Avian
11-06-2009, 21:54
Disregarding everything else, your general has three Arcane items when he's only allowed one.

New_Disease
11-06-2009, 22:01
Ah....I see, seems I overlooked that in the main book :cries: thanks for pointing that out though :)

Hm....would the Book of Secrets be a good item for him or should I rather take some armor?

bork da basher
11-06-2009, 22:14
lord - skull of katam is pointless as he's on a disc and likely to be flying about away from other sorcerers. take the skull when grouping 2 or more sorcerers together. spell familiar is a must for tzeentch. id suggest taking the golden eye of tzeentch for a 3+ ward save vs shooting/magic missiles, otherwise he'll be a gonner to the first round of shooting. i'd give the infernal puppet to one of your lvl 2 sorcerers they are safer in their units. i give my lord on disc the book of secrets using death lore, the extra powerdice and spell make a differance and the miscast downside the item is more or less negated with the puppet.

sorcerers - two power familiars isn't legal, you can have one copy of magic items bar dispel scrolls. give one the puppet, proberly the nurgle one. consider taking a single dispel scroll too but its upto you.

core - 20 chaos warriors - 20 is proberly 5 too many if you ask me. IMO a standard is all a warriors unit needs and equiptment wise i find halberds and shields works best of all, you can switch between S5 and 4+ save or S4 and 2+ save with handweapon/shield. versatile.

7 horsemen - 5 max with flails is all you need, ive tried bigger units and its wasted.

14 warriors - good size, again just a standard works fine, MoK??? on M4 infantry this will do you more harm than good, chaos warriors don't need frenzy to win combats, i say drop for nurgle or slaanesh.

25 marauders - this unit is begging to be a anvil, give it MoN and handweapons, shields and light armour and it'll be a git to move, especially if you get the nurgle regen spell on it.

special - 5 chaos knights - 5 and a standard is what i use and i have no problems, the 1+ save should protect against all but artillery, the blasted standard is a waste without MoT IMO, a unit of hounds to screen you will be better protection.

20 chosen - waaaay too many, 12-18 tops but id go with 12 personally. MoN and banner of rage proberly better off on your knights really. id give this unit standard and champion with halberds and shields. a warbanner is all you need if anything.

overall i think you need to trim alot of the fat down, look at just how many troops your pumping into your units needlessly, chaos are elite, tough and well armoured and shouldnt require 20 strong units, its overkill and the points can be spent on more units or better thought out charecters. one thing your lacking which to me is essential to chaos warriors is chaos hounds, not a dog in sight and they are your best unit. 30pts for a unit thats too good to ignore and so cheap you can throw them away with abandon to keep your expensive warriors/knights/chosen alive. i seriously don't play with less than 4 units.

New_Disease
11-06-2009, 22:22
Chaos Hounds, hmm....I have to be frank I didn't so much as look at them when I saw them in the codex :angel:

Big Mistake it seems. :cries:

So, thinning out the warriors and chosen and bringing in some of the Hounds then to screen my units would be wise?

New_Disease
11-06-2009, 22:37
so, I tried to change the list as you suggested :) here it is

Lords

1 x Sorceror Lord
Level 4
MoT
DoT
Spell Familiar
Golden Eye

1 x Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
MoS
Power Familiar
Dispell Scroll

1 x Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
MoN
Infernal Puppet

Core

14 x Chaos Warriors
Shields
Halberds
BSB
MoN

14 x Chaos Warriors
Shields
Halberds
BSB
MoS

5 x Marauder Horseman
Flails

25 x Marauders
Shields
BSB
Musician
MoN
Light Armor

5 x Chaos Warhounds

5 x Chaos Warhounds

Special

5 x Chaos Knights
BSB

14 x Chosen
MoN
Shields
Halberds
Champion
BSB
BoR

Jushak
11-06-2009, 23:29
I think you've done some heavy miscalculating on those characters:

1 x Sorceror Lord
Level 4
MoT
DoT
Spell Familiar
Golden Eye

- 350 pts

1 x Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
MoS
Power Familiar
Dispell Scroll

- 175 pts

1 x Chaos Sorceror
Level 2
MoN
Infernal Puppet

- 175 pts

- 700 pts

However, assuming core & special are calculated right the numbers add up to 2007, so I'm guessing this is just you writing wrong number under the characters ;)

Edit: to not just nitpick about numbers:

Lord + heroes seem fine.

I wouldn't personally mark marauders, but they don't seem too bad for protecting the Nurgle sorcerer. Even if some flyer kamikazes at them to stomp the sorc, they at least are quite likely to beat the snot out of the offender.

The Chosen seem decent, althought I would personally drop 2 of them and make one of the remaining ones a champion with Favour of the Gods, so you have better chance at getting good EotG result for them.

Personally however I believe Chosen aren't that great without support of warshrine. With warshrine, MoT and champion with FotG you're very likely to land 3+ ward save + stubborn for them sooner of later, practically making them unstoppable.

Logan_uc
12-06-2009, 00:35
put a champ in the chosen with favor of the gods, its great.
peapole hate LoS because of IP, but if you normaly dont play against deamons and undead, its great, but needs a steed to take full advantage.