PDA

View Full Version : Starting small with Dark Elves

Firebreather
12-06-2009, 03:03
Hey there everyone. I've been out of the game for a while now, but have picked now to make my triumphant return to the world of Fantasy. Having just picked up the latest Dark Elf army book, I'm looking to start an army of a nasty evil Elves. The challenge I've been faced with at the time of writing is that I and my gaming mates have decided to start our new armies at the 1000 point level. I've made a few attempts at writing up such a list with the new Dark Elves, but find myself having a bit of trouble. This is mainly due to the fact that the Dark Elves are rather pricey in terms of points values.

So, with that, I come to you lot. I'd like your thoughts and ideas on what to include in a 1000 point Dark Elf "starter" army. I'm looking for a more or less well-rounded force, with perhaps a bit of theme in the form of being a force mostly drawn from the city of Clar Karond. Thanks for any help you may give, and I look forward to seeing your suggestions and thoughts!

VeriNasti
12-06-2009, 05:54
I think clar karond is beast city, so lemme think.
For 1000pts you could take -
Master with a cold one, lance, shield, heavy armour 110 i think
Sorceress on foot as scroll caddy, lvl 2 185
2 x 10 RXB with guardmasters 110
5 COK (with master)
6 COK
hydra 175
and some harpies
hope this helps

mickjagger
12-06-2009, 13:17
From what I can tell about Clar Korand, it has plenty of beasts (7 hydras protecting it's gates) and plenty of slaves (and corsairs, which are slavers) and dark elf patrols that go to hunt down escaped slaves (shades/dark riders?)

So, I wouldn't really put any super elite fighting units as they don't seem to quite fit in. I'd suggest a unit of corsairs, a unit of warriors, some dark-riders and harpies, a unit of shades and perhaps a hydra as a good idea for what to use for your base.

TheRabidMongoose
12-06-2009, 14:17
yep have to agree with mick

couple of units of d riders for flankage, maybe a unit of corsairs (was never a fan of theirs) and couple of units of warriors, one with spears and the other with rxbs (might have to experiment with sizes due to points), some shades (maybe 8-10), harpies and a hydra. if you wanted something hard hitting as well as the hydra then id switch the harpies for some cok to give your master something nice to tag with.

Firebreather
12-06-2009, 15:12
Excellent, thanks so much everyone, I love all the suggestions. It also helps that all of your suggestions are of a similar mind, and also tend to mostly coincide with my thoughts of Clar Karond. Now, I think Karond Kar is more of the "beast" city, especially in regards to Harpies, but Clar Karond is not without its' share of beasts(ie. the 7 Hydras guarding Doom Gate, as mentioned...), and is the main shipyard of the Witch King's fleets. This means, of all things, Corsairs. Which is cool by me.

So, again, thanks for the advice everyone, it looks solid. I'll get to work on writing up an army list and post it for your inspection.