PDA

View Full Version : What do magical attacks do?

Shadowfax
12-06-2009, 05:55
Total noob question here, but I can't find it in the rulebook. There are glossary entries for "Magic Item", "Magic", and "Magic Resistance" but nothing for "Magical Attacks" yet they are frequently referred to in weapon and unit descriptions. I have my first game coming up tomorrow, and I'd like to figure this out. Anybody have an explanation for me, or, even better, a page reference? Thanks.

Ultimate Life Form
12-06-2009, 05:59
There is no page reference and the explanation is that GW is stupid.

There IS no definition of a magic attack. They are commonly thought to originate from magic weapons or spells (or, in some definitions, everything that happens during Magic Phase). You need to use common sense here, as with all GW products.

devolutionary
12-06-2009, 06:00
Nothing unless otherwise noted. Some effects have vulnerabilities to magical or non-magical attacks. It's a classification rather than an effect itself.

isidril93
12-06-2009, 06:14
it hits etheral people as well as being negated by certain rules/items or only affecting models with certain rules or items

Shadowfax
12-06-2009, 06:18
Ah, ok, thanks. I was losing faith in my heretofore awesome rules skimming talents when I couldn't figure this out.

DarthSte
12-06-2009, 07:16
I always took it to be an "attack" (an action that could cause a wound or negative effect) that used either a spell or magical weapon.

Mercules
12-06-2009, 15:59
What about the wound from Wyrdstone Necklace or other Magic items that harm their users because of rules. Are those "magical attacks"? This is the root of the problem in that GW doesn't specify what counts. ;)

Abhorash
12-06-2009, 16:07
What about the wound from Wyrdstone Necklace or other Magic items that harm their users because of rules. Are those "magical attacks"? This is the root of the problem in that GW doesn't specify what counts. ;)

Source of the wound/attack is magical, so i would presume they cause magical damage.

Mercules
12-06-2009, 16:43
Yes, Magical Damage... is that an "attack" though? :)

Da GoBBo
12-06-2009, 18:42
Rather than listing all things effected by magic attacks in one chapter, all things effected by magic attacks tell you so in their own rulessection. Forest spirits don't have a ward save vs magic attacks, ethereal creatures can be damaged by magical attacks. This ruling can be found in each section. This is actually wise, for if something new is effected, GW only has to add it in the new ruling and all is up to date.

Necromancy Black
13-06-2009, 01:28
Rather than listing all things effected by magic attacks in one chapter, all things effected by magic attacks tell you so in their own rulessection. Forest spirits don't have a ward save vs magic attacks, ethereal creatures can be damaged by magical attacks. This ruling can be found in each section. This is actually wise, for if something new is effected, GW only has to add it in the new ruling and all is up to date.

All good and well, but not really what the OP was asking. He was asking for an actual definition of a Magical Attack, of which none exists.