PDA

View Full Version : Takes precedent, new Dwarf book/SoC

gortexgunnerson
30-12-2005, 14:05
Hi just wondering peoples opinion of this;

Basically the rules for dwarfs have been updated in the new book and hence the rules for slayers have changed slightly. Does the new dwarf book overwrite the listing for slayers and characters given in the SoC?

I would say yes as think they are put their just for reference and are just supposed to be copied form the Dwarf book from which you must get all your runic weapons etc. But I thought I'd see what everyone else thought

Cheers in advance

Major Defense
30-12-2005, 17:52
I don't know what the differences are but at first though it would seem that the newer version does "overwrite" what is in the SoC list.

mageith
30-12-2005, 19:38
Hi just wondering peoples opinion of this;

Basically the rules for dwarfs have been updated in the new book and hence the rules for slayers have changed slightly. Does the new dwarf book overwrite the listing for slayers and characters given in the SoC?

I would say no. If you build a slayer army from the SOC book, follow those rules. If you build a slayer army from the new book, follow those rules.

What rules were changed/updated?

Mage Ith

gortexgunnerson
30-12-2005, 21:10
Well basically Slayer Characters have been reduced in cost and the runes they can take for their weapons have changed as the SoC lists uses the runes from the dwarf list

Basically the characters in the SoC book were just copied from the dwarf book for ease of reference in my opinion but now the points have changed as Slayer characters are abit crap for their points

TAU AIR CASTE
31-12-2005, 00:45
I think they would follow the rules from the new dwarf book! as you have already said they were the same as the ones from the old book and they have to choose their runes from the new book so yeah I'm with you, new slayer rules.

Wickerman71
31-12-2005, 01:34
To still play the Slayer List officially you would have to use the SOC versions until or if GW makes an official statment other wise.

Ex1. Ogre Kingdom book did not give DOW or Chaos Ogre Bull Charge
Ex2. Vlad Von Carstein was revised for the Sylvania Army List

Gorbad Ironclaw
31-12-2005, 08:25
No. They did not change. You refer to the Dwarf Book where the list tells you, and of course use the latest book. But everything else is as it says in the list. There is no basic for saying that changes to one book means changes to whats effectively a completely different list.

Festus
31-12-2005, 08:51
Hi

Exactly as Gorbad said:

The ArmyList in the SoC book is a complete list, that tells you to refer to the Dwarf Army Book on certain issues.

That is exactly what you should do. The points, stats, and everything for the Slayers is in the SoC book, you will just have to refer to the Dwarf Book for runes and Slayer special rules. Then you will refer to the most recent Dwarf Book , of course.

The only thing that changes in the ArmyList are the page-numbers of the reference book, as this has changed in the meantime.

Greetings
Festus

gortexgunnerson
31-12-2005, 15:05
But the list is not really that stand alone as all the characters have see Dwarf book for details at the bottem, but I can also see the arguement that the redoing of the dwarf list maybe didn't take into account the Slayers list.

Could do with a GW ruling on the issue so it can be settled

Ganymede
31-12-2005, 15:19
The slayer lists uses the earlier of the two armybooks as its backbone. If you want to play a slayer army, you need to use the old book. Though, GW was gracious enough to allow you the option of using quite a large selection of those expensive, metal slayers you bought in a fit of orange haired extacy by simply taking two slayer characters. You could take three units of the buggers now and still have a nastily effective list.

Gorbad Ironclaw
31-12-2005, 20:04
If you want to play a slayer army, you need to use the old book.

And why on earth would you have to do that? That go no basic in anything. The new Army Book completly replace the old one.

You use the present(thats the new book) Dwarf Army list for anything the Slayer list tells you to look up in the Dwarf book. For everything else you use the Slayer list as it stands.

Griefbringer
31-12-2005, 20:46
Could do with a GW ruling on the issue so it can be settled

Well, we haven't even seen yet an official FAQ for the Bretonnian army book, which came out 23 months ago. Let's not even bother thinking of the OK and WE books.

As for the slayer list, I presume Gav is hiding below a big rock in Sherwood forest with eyes close and hands over the ears and pretending hard that the SoC lists do not exist. :o

Ganymede
31-12-2005, 20:56
You use the present(thats the new book) Dwarf Army list for anything the Slayer list tells you to look up in the Dwarf book. For everything else you use the Slayer list as it stands.

Where does it say to do that?

Where does it say that the new book replaces the older one?

Griefbringer
31-12-2005, 21:16
Where does it say that the new book replaces the older one?

Explicitly, nowhere I would think.

However, it is a well known issue that with GW products the newer book is supposed to completely (lock, stock, barrel and all that stuff) replace the book it replaces, not just partially.

SuperBeast
01-01-2006, 16:50
Um... huh?
The SOC slayer list is complete - points values, stat lines, equipment options for all troops and characters..
The only places it refers to the Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs book is with regard to the Loner and Slayer special rules, and for the Runic Items for characters.
The SOC slayers are listed as being armed with either GW or 2HW, so yo udon't get to swap.
As the Loner and Slayer skills have remained unchanged, there's no argument there.
Similarly with the runic items lists - either the 6th or 7th edition books are valid as magic item lists are playtested and pointed in terms of the combinations that are possible.
As long as you don't mix'n'natch between the books, no problem.

With regard to the SOC Slayer characters... well, normal Slayer characters don't get the slayer skills... :D

But in summary - use the SOC list as printed, and when it refers to other books, just make sure you use the same on each time.
Just make sure your opponent is aware of which version of the book you're referring to though.