PDA

View Full Version : Which Sword to Use?

Saviour
13-06-2009, 08:08
Hey guys,

At 2250pts I'm running an Arch Lector on an Altar currently with the AoMI and VHS, I am now trying to decide on a magical weapon for him to take & I'm stuck between the Sword of Fate & the Sword of Sigismund.

Sword of Fate gives me 2+ to wound, no AS, and d3 wounds so would be perfect against those big nasties like Greater Daemons etc, but with VHS I'm already pretty good against them already. But where I see it as being infinitely useful is against VC Vampire Lords in conjunction with the VHS, I should be able to crumble any VC army with ease if I can hit the Vamp Lord with the blade in a challenge... But again first I'd have to get through the pleb unit champs and other vampires in the unit if there are any.

The Sword of Sigismund is good in any situation with the +1 Str giving me Str 5 even without VHS & ASF, but against anything with a significant armour save (like all generals seem to have these days) I'm only hitting him at -2AS, -3 if he's S5 himself with VHS so I suspect not alot of damage will get through.

So I put it to you, warseer crew, to convince me which weapon is best for my general! And feel free to suggest some other weapons/item combinations if you think there's a better way to equip him.

Thanks!

Hulkster
13-06-2009, 08:24
well it is quite obvious to me based on the post

sword of fate

now i dont play empire so i dont know the points costs, but as it stands from your info SoF all the way

Saviour
13-06-2009, 08:27
I should clarify for those who don't know Empire.

Fate only does it's effects against one opponent's character or monster nominated before the game, counts as a normal magical sword against everyone else.

Sigismund works against everyone.

PeG
13-06-2009, 08:36
The way to kill an arch lector on an altar is to charge him either with a unit that doesnt have anyone that can accept a challenge or alternatively charge him with a unit containing at least two characters so that you can refuse the challenge and get one of them retired to the back rank. This means that this is the situation you shoul dbe preparing for as in a challenge you should be doing ok anyway.

Assuming you nominate your target for sword of fate after setup but before the game starts I would pick that sword and nominate one out of the two characters that are stuck together in the same unit.

Condottiere
13-06-2009, 09:14
The Sword of Fate sounds more like a deterrence, to dissuade certain characters to keep their distance. Maybe that can be part of the strategy, allowing the Waltar to run roughshod over the rest.

Gaargod
13-06-2009, 09:22
All fairness, they don't actually know who the sword of fate is powered to kill (like bane head). So it can be quite a shock for them.

The altar tends not to run stuff over, but holds it up till some knights/STank can flank it.

TonyFlow
13-06-2009, 09:28
I usually give my Arch lector the VHS, Enchanted shield (1+ with heavy armour) and sword of power... When you use VHS you will almost always get higher Initiative than your oponent, so you strike first anyways and the get +2 strength.

Von Wibble
14-06-2009, 17:41
All fairness, they don't actually know who the sword of fate is powered to kill (like bane head). So it can be quite a shock for them.

The altar tends not to run stuff over, but holds it up till some knights/STank can flank it.

I'm not sure about that. My impression of nominating a target character at the start of the battle is that the opponent is informed that the Sword of Fate exists in the army (although not which character is wielding it). Same for the Bane Head.

My own preference of weapon is not the sword of sigismund since you have high charge distance and higher I making ASF a rare necessity and a great weapon gives +1S. Sword of Fate is a deterrent and little else - great if you are going to face daemons without obsidian armour or vampires but generally not an optimal item. Consider something cheap and cheerful instead - sword of might or sword of justice are both nice choices that allow you to get the better of a champion and save points. Sword of power is another more expensive possibilty.

Finally - use the gorgon shield. This item combined with VHS reduces the enemy to just 1 attack, meaning unless he has an amazing weapon he probably won't kill you at all - he is going to need 4s to hit for starters.

Gaargod
14-06-2009, 18:45
It just says you have to nominate. Not that you have to tell your opponent - example would be informing a judge in a tournament, or writing it down.

Saviour
14-06-2009, 23:39
And with the abundance of DoC, VC, and DE players out there these days, I'm thinking a weapon such as the SoF will be invaluable against GDs, Vamp Lords, or Hydras...

But I'm liking the Shield of the Gorgon idea in conjunction with VHS, that combination is just nasty & ensures the maximum wounds he can do to you a turn would be 1. And considering with VHS you'll at least be equal in stats with most unit champions out there, it's 4+ and 4+, combined with my 1+ save and 4+ ward. That's particularly nasty!

fubukii
15-06-2009, 00:15
id do the asf sword, most things you will want to fate against can avoid you such as gds, and you would beat them anyway with the VHS.

Now with the asf item you can steal elves higher in and go before them ( assuming them are asf elves)!

Lord Dan
15-06-2009, 01:34
I rather enjoy the sword of sigismund + laurels of victory combo. Throw him in a unit with a champion to challenge out enemy heroes, and you should be tearing up a lot of combats.