PDA

View Full Version : Outnumbered by a terror causing unit

Lord Dan
14-06-2009, 20:19
So a strange situation...

A giant broke a unit and overran into one of my detachments. As it happened as the result of an overrun, they took neither a terror nor a fear test. The detachment hadn't taken a terror test from the giant yet, and so he technically still caused: "Terror" to them. The giant whiffed his rolls, but won the combat by 1 due to outnumbering.

Now for the question- does the giant cause "fear"? I know the rulebook says a terror-causer causes fear once a unit has passed (or failed?) a terror test. However they hadn't taken a terror test yet.

So to clarify:
Do terror causes cause fear in units that have yet to take a terror test? That said, can they cause an autobreak?

rtunian
14-06-2009, 20:31
yes. p.51 "if a creature causes terror, it automatically causes fear as well, and all the rules described for fear apply"

PeG
14-06-2009, 21:13
ie your detachment runs away

kyinpie
14-06-2009, 23:49
if you overran into the detachment unit, they should have taken the test then! they still take the test if you overrun into them, they wouldnt test if they overrun into u!

Nuada
15-06-2009, 00:25
if you overran into the detachment unit, they should have taken the test then! they still take the test if you overrun into them, they wouldnt test if they overrun into u!

Not sure about that. You only take a terror/fear test when a unit declares a charge against you. Then you move before they charge. Overrun is a pursuit move.

(i think that's right)

kyinpie
15-06-2009, 00:52
the unit being charged still takes the test! havnt got the BRB to hand to quote anything, but its there, '..... takes psycology tests as normal.....'

Necromancy Black
15-06-2009, 00:54
The rules for Pursuit into fresh enemy treat it as a new charge, so you would make a charge reaction. Likewise the enemy being charge can make a charge reaction, though I think they can't stand and shoot.

kyinpie
15-06-2009, 01:22
The rules for Pursuit into fresh enemy treat it as a new charge, so you would make a charge reaction. Likewise the enemy being charge can make a charge reaction, though I think they can't stand and shoot.

thats right, i forgot they cant stand and shoot! but they still take tests etc
the pursuer wouldnt take a test, they are immune to psycology whilst they overrun/persue!
its late, im off to bed, but tomorrow i will find the page and quote it!!

ky :)

Kalandros
15-06-2009, 01:55
Its the unit making the overrun or pursuit into a new unit that doesnt have to take a fear/terror test if the fresh new target causes fear or terror.

Not the other way around. Charged unit still takes psycho tests.

EvC
15-06-2009, 11:01
Yeah, confuses the hell out of a lot of people who don't realise that the PiFR rules are there to benefit the pursuer and hinder the unlucky unit being charged. It's extremely simple when you look at it from that context.