PDA

View Full Version : Viking Style Dwarf Army (2,000 points)

Nemo
30-12-2005, 20:37
Okay, a quick bit of background first. These Dwarfs are from Norsca and are a relatively young clan, hense that lack of a Dwarf Lord. Due to the extreme cold and lack of blackpowder in the north I haven't included any Thunderers or Cannon. So, Axes and Crossbows it is, and here goes.

Heroes

Eirik Bjornsson: Thane with Oathstone, Great Weapon and Master Rune of Spite (Joins Longbeards)

Snorri Bjornsson: Battle Standard Bearing Thane with Strollaz Rune (Also joins Longbeards)

Petr Niklasson: Runesmith with Master Rune of Balance and Spellbreaker Rune. (Joins 19 strong Warrior unit)

Core

19 Dwarf Warriors with Shields. Full Command

20 Dwarf Warriors with Shields. Full Command.

18 Dwarf Longbeards with Great Weapons. Full Command.

12 Quarrelers with Musician.

12 Quarellers with Musician.

Special

15 Ironbreakers with Full Command

Two Bolt Throwers, each with and Engineer and a Rune of Penetrating.

Grudge Thrower with Engineer

12 Miners with Full Command

Total: 1999 pts

Any issues fluff/practise wise? Only a first attempt, so any hints and tips would be appreciated.

BlazeXI
30-12-2005, 20:49
Special

Two Bolt Throwers, each with and Engineer and a Rune of Penetrating.

Total: 1999 pts

Any issues fluff/practise wise? Only a first attempt, so any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Rule of pride states that no more then one item may have the same combination of runes. So you must either change the rune on one of the BT, or add another to it or drop it all togeter. There is that 5 point rune of fire (name might differ) perfect for Wood Elfs or Tomb Kings, but 5 points is not a big waste....

Nemo
30-12-2005, 21:31
Very good point, I really should have remembered that rule, it's not even a new one. Does anyone think the Steam Drill on the Miner Prospector could be worth it? Shame it cant be raised to S7- The Chariot Hunting Possibilities would be lovely.

oma
30-12-2005, 23:13
if i had a unit of miners in my army (though i think that 1 unit of miners behind enemy lines are a bit fragile) i would have taken the steam drill, you want them out as soon as possible dont you?

Cpt. Drill
31-12-2005, 00:15
Lookin good... I would want some ironbreakers in the army as they are AWESOME! and if you get the othe stone on them then they are undefeatable...

But I warn you now.. this army is not very tactically flexable and it misses out on some of the finer points of warhammer... so although a good strong list that will win games.. it will be repetative and numbercrunchy!

But good luck!

Nemo
31-12-2005, 11:06
Lookin good... I would want some ironbreakers in the army as they are AWESOME! and if you get the othe stone on them then they are undefeatable...

There are Ironbreakers in the army, 15 of them. Would it be better to put the Thane with Oath Stone with them instead of the Clansmen?

But I warn you now.. this army is not very tactically flexable and it misses out on some of the finer points of warhammer... so although a good strong list that will win games.. it will be repetative and numbercrunchy!

What else could I really add though? I am tempted by Slayers and a Slayer Character, purely for the fun aspect of playing them and the variety on the painting front, but what should I remove?

And the Steam Drill would seem a useful investment. Blasting Charges a bit too pricey though, perhaps?

Xisor
31-12-2005, 11:41
Unless I'm mistaken(entirely possible), I don't believe you can have more than one 'not part of the unit' character in a unit containing a character with an oathstone.

The only other quibble that *could* be raised is that if they're a young clan, how come there's so many Longbeards!(well, not really that many) I suppose, that's easily handwaved away.

Otherwise, seems a pretty cool list!

Xisor

bored1
31-12-2005, 16:34
so although a good strong list that will win games.. it will be repetative and numbercrunchy!

Huh? Where did this come from? What makes this list any more repetative than any other list? What would you do to make it less "numbercrunchy"?

I think it's decently strong list with some solid tactical options that give it a shot against most opponents. I think it plays to a lot of the strengths of assaulty dwarfs. I would recommend, however, going the oathstone in the ironbreaker regiment. Play aggressively with the unit. It won't work as well once people figure out where the stone is and how to work against it, so you may have to switch up your tactics in the long term, but that should be true anyway.

btw, drop the musician in the miner unit if you need the 5 pts for the burning rune on a bolt thrower.

Cpt. Drill
31-12-2005, 16:46
The reason it will become dull and I concider it number crunchy is because probobly the best thing you can do if playing a pitched battle is inflict as much damage as you can on your enemy with shooting and hope that your units dont break....

Now how is the army more tacticle than that.. admittedly there will be some finer tuned tactics like a flank charge set up with miners.. but it looks very plain!

Nemo
31-12-2005, 17:29
Okay, addressing a few points.

1) Thanks for the heads up on the Battle Standard Bearer not being able to accompany the Oathstone Thane's unit- I'll move the Thane into the Ironbreakers I think.

2) I could add more tactical flexibility perhaps by upgrading one of the blocks of Warriors to Rangers? If so, is it worth giving them Crossbows/Throwing Axes or just keeping them as a close combat unit?

3) And on the Longbeards point, I see that unit as the original founders of the Clan- no matter how big the army got I wouldn't use a second unit.

I'll redraft the list and post up a second version tommorow, thanks for all the input.

Storm Hunters
31-12-2005, 17:31
the reason it would become dull to use is that dwarfs are the worst army in warhammer to play with/agenst. They just take all the fun out of the game.
MAgic is fun, but we dont have any and can stop all of yours.
Killing is fun, but we cant have that coz we are T4 and have lots of armer, but its ok, we are only strength 3 so dont worry.
Manovering is fun, but as we cant do it, well stop you attacking us in the flank with an oathstone

well thats my view (and some other peoples aswell)

Nemo
31-12-2005, 18:21
I can see what your saying there, but the Oathstone can only affect one unit, and the unit bearing it cant move. If I were playing against one i would ignore the nice juicy unit and lord bearing it and concentrate on taking out the rest of the army first. And besides, what's more fun than a unit of Slayers taking on a masisve beast? If they ever catch one that is.

MadJackMcJack
31-12-2005, 22:12
I personally would slap a rune of accuracy on the grudge thrower, to replace one of the runs of penetrating. Or maybe slap both runes of penetrating on the grudge thrower to make it a beast of a war machine.

Nemo
01-01-2006, 09:48
Second Draft

Heroes

Eirik Bjornsson: Thane with Oathstone, Great Weapon and Master Rune of Spite

Snorri Bjornsson: Thane with Battle Standard and Strollaz Rune

Petr Niklasson: Runesmith with Shield, Master Rune of Balance and Spellbreaker Rune

--No changes here--

Core

19 Dwarf Warriors with Shields and Full Command (Runesmith joins)

19 Dwarf Longbeards with Great Weapons and Full Command (With BSB Thane)

16 Dwarf Warriors with Ranger Upgrade, Great Weapons and Full Command

12 Quarellers

12 Quarellers

--Not many changes here apart from the Rangers, added them to allow more flexibility--

Special

15 Ironbreakers with Full Command (General Thane joins)

12 Miners with Standard Bearer and Prospector with Steam Drill

Grudge Thrower with Engineer

Bolt Thrower with Engineer and Rune of Penetrating

Bolt Thrower with Engineer and Rune of Burning

--Adressed the Rule of Pride Problem plus added Steam Drill to Miners--

Better, worse, no change?
1997 points total.