PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Knights, command or no command?

Hulkster
14-06-2009, 22:16
I am starting up my new WoC army and i am at a bit of an impasse

I have 2 boxes of the new knights, but I do not know whether i should build them with command or not

basically i am asking is command, of any size, worth it in a knight unit?

thanks in advance

Makaber
14-06-2009, 22:34
I give mine musician and banner. I think while you can use champions to great effect, in a regiment without ranks it's too easy to "challenge them out" and thus removing a lot of their damage potential. That said, occationally I've wished I had a champion in there, but it's not often enough to justify it, in my eyes.

Also, I give them a Warbanner if I have points to spare. It's good to win combats (which they do rather easily), but it's awesome to win them by such a margin you're almost guaranteed to break the opposition.

Also I use units of 6 knights. 5 seems a bit too few, but more than 6 becomes a bit too wide.

Witchblade
14-06-2009, 23:16
5 vanilla: not optimal for point-efficiency, but still great and relatively cheap
5 marked: for if you don't expect them to live (no banner to be captured)
6 marked + banner: if you need to save a dozen points
6 marked + magic banner + musician: IMO optimal point-efficiency, although you could ditch the musician
7 marked + magic banner + musician: mini-deathstar

magic banners:
banner of rage for nurgle knights: niice
war banner: always good
5+ ward vs. shooting banner for tzeentch knights: if you're facing heavy shooting
additionally, the T test banner is good against elves

Skyth
15-06-2009, 00:00
I equip mine (Slaanesh knights...I use two units of 5) with a banner and musician. The Champion costs too much for the little that he adds to the unit.

Kalec
15-06-2009, 02:51
Never give knights a champ. Always give them a musician. Banner depends on how much you are willing to invest in them.

bork da basher
15-06-2009, 05:34
i began with just giving them banners but now ive ditched them and really not noticing any drop in they awesomeness. i take 4 units of em so thats a good 80pts to spare. keep them well supported with hounds n horsemen and you can win almost every combat regardless.

Avian
15-06-2009, 05:47
I use a champ if I have 20 pts to spare, which is not terribly often. Otherwise I stick to the standard bearer and musician.

Hulkster
15-06-2009, 09:43
Thanks for all the respones

from this I have decided to run 1 unit of 7 and one unit of 6 with a character

7 will be Nurge with Banner of Rage and 6 will be khorne with a Exalted on a Juggernaut and prob the warbanner

Both will have banners (obviously), and if i have the points musicans. Champions will be avoided, and thinking about it, that makes sense.

Thanks again

Brother J
15-06-2009, 21:45
Thanks for all the respones

from this I have decided to run 1 unit of 7 and one unit of 6 with a character

7 will be Nurge with Banner of Rage and 6 will be khorne with a Exalted on a Juggernaut and prob the warbanner

Both will have banners (obviously), and if i have the points musicans. Champions will be avoided, and thinking about it, that makes sense.

Thanks again

If you have the points, a musician? 7 models in a Knights unit is incredibly wide. Drop it down to 6, throw in a musician. The unit with the Juggernaut mounted character would work best dropped down to 5, and just throwing in the juggernaut to reach 6. 5 models is fine if the character charges out of the unit for some reason.

The only time you should even consider taking a Champion in a unit of knights, is if you're afraid of a character in the opponent's army rampaging through your unit. ASF and what not. The Champion would work well as a buffer, but other then that, the points cost for one additional attack isn't all that impressive as it lines right up with the cost for characters.

Kill-Freedom
15-06-2009, 22:37
MoSlannish fails on chaos knights

Avian
16-06-2009, 05:59
Nonsense, I have lost my Knights of Tzeentch because they had to take Terror tests on Ld8 and failed. To avoid that, my next unit will have the Mark of Slaanesh.

Hulkster
16-06-2009, 06:33
I am using frenzy at the moment to work for that reason

though i agree with Avian, immune to terror etc without being ITP is a huge benefit if you face terror causers

fortunatly i am the only WHFB player at my club who owns terror causers

Peregijn
16-06-2009, 09:46
Nonsense, I have lost my Knights of Tzeentch because they had to take Terror tests on Ld8 and failed. To avoid that, my next unit will have the Mark of Slaanesh.

chaos knights cause fear... so they never have to take a terror test... ;)

Avian
16-06-2009, 10:26
They treat Terror as if it was Fear, thus they have to test to charge. ;)

Lord Khabal
16-06-2009, 10:32
Mine are 4: 2 khorne +1 slaanesh (with general + war banner) + 1 und. (banner rage)
allways std + mus..

kramplarv
16-06-2009, 10:36
champions in a knight unit might be worth it. He is "über killy character protector".

ie. A HE starlance lord charges against you alone. He will most probably win combat, or at least kill half the unit. With a champion, he kills only one model. Same with stuff like bloodthirsters, or dragon lords, or another cavalry unit with a killer character.

A champion in the knight unit are a good addition. Not crucial, but it's definetly worth it. Not counting the occasional extrawound caused by knight+horse

Griffery
16-06-2009, 18:50
I would go full command, that is too many points not to take a musician and also the Champ can do great in challenges. Also the standard bearer can give you a boost in combat res or I normally give my knights the banner of rage with MoN.