PDA

View Full Version : Command

Griffery
15-06-2009, 03:57
I have never really used command in a unit before because I do not think it is worth the points. I normally give my units a BSB for teh combat res and also incase I want to give them a magic banner or a war banner, but is it worth getting the Champion and the Musician? I play WoC and so most of my units have 8 ld so I don't know if a musician is needed in order to rally, not to mention I normally don't lose the combat. Also for one extra attack for regualr warriors it costs 12 points. That is practically an entire another warrior. Can anyone tell me why it is helpful to give full command?

Ultimate Life Form
15-06-2009, 05:31
Well...

1) The standard: When giving your "units" a BSB, I hope you are aware that you can have only have one BSB? Because the other units will have to rely on normal Standards. It is very helpful to tip the balance in your favor and I cannot count the times a Standard has saved me from losing the fight.

2) The musician: I understand Ld8 needs no help with rallying. And if you think you win every fight anyway, you can run your units without one. No one ever said a unit absolutely MUST have a full comand.

3) The Champion: While an extra attack is always nice, his true quality lies in challenging enemy models. That way, an enemy commander on Dragon or a Bloodthirster or something can kill only one limited use model and must leave any Mages or other Heroes in the same unit alone. It's far more than one extra attack, it's heavy tactics.

Griffery
15-06-2009, 06:08
Woops I miss typed about the BSB I know that I can only give them normal standards but I guess I never thought about stalling and protecting with champions. I guess that shows my inexperience lol.

Condottiere
15-06-2009, 06:44
If it's a throwaway unit, why spend the points on something you won't need, and you don't have to unnecessarily gift your opponent an additional 100 points.

But your main infantry blocks and cavalry squadrons should have them.

Avian
15-06-2009, 06:51
Note that BSB is the abbreviation for a Battle Standard Bearer (i.e. a Hero) and not a unit standard bearer. You can't give units BSBs.

Ultimate Life Form
15-06-2009, 06:57
Note that BSB is the abbreviation for a Battle Standard Bearer (i.e. a Hero) and not a unit standard bearer. You can't give units BSBs.

I was automatically assuming that by "giving" he meant "I buy a Hero, make him a BSB and put him into the unit I want him in" but was too lazy to type it out. Don't know if that really was the case, but thanks for clarifying Avian.

Renki
15-06-2009, 09:38
If it's a throwaway unit, why spend the points on something you won't need, and you don't have to unnecessarily gift your opponent an additional 100 points.

But your main infantry blocks and cavalry squadrons should have them.

Those 100 vp's might not be a unnecessary gift. ~50 points throwaway unit isn't really enough to lure your opponent to a obvious trap, but give them a banner and he/she might get greedy. Just make sure that you get your points back... Still, its high risk, average reward.

Desert Rain
15-06-2009, 15:06
I always use full command in my infantry units with very few exceptions, those being mainly small units of archers and skinks depending on army.
The standard bearer is good as he gives you an extre point of CR.
The Champion gives you an extra attack and the possibility to take challanges and issue challanges in order to protect more important models
Musicians are good when you rally and when the combat is a tie. I hate having to take a break test just because my opponent had a musician and I didn't.

I never give cavalry units any command, sometimes with the exception of a musician.

MarcoPollo
15-06-2009, 16:13
I always use command on my infantry block too. And I use partial commands on other types of units depending on my circumstances.

For instance, on my shock troops (knights and Ogre class), I leave out the champion and try to give a warbanner.

Also on fast cav I always use a musician to help rally.

For me I use an MSU style game and I often combo charge. So if one unit doesn't have a musician, the other unit does and I don't miss out on the bonus.

Condottiere
15-06-2009, 17:06
While I agree on having the musician in the event you plan on letting that unit flee in the face of overwhelming force, the Champion has to be carefully considered against WoCs, because of the EotG.

Brother J
15-06-2009, 23:15
I've never run a game without my infantry blocks having a full command unit. Even my marauders are full command. They might be meat shields, but they're cheap meat shields and on the off chance that they're not Black Horror'd to death before getting to combat the command unit can really pay itself off.

As for my warriors, there's absolutely no circumstances that I can think of that would warrant not using a full command. The extra combat resolution bonus can be a life saver. The musician has saved my tail on more then one occasion and kept me from fleeing head onto a unit that managed to position itself behind mine. The champion has come out on top of some pretty nasty odds..In fact, I was running up the flank and planning on going through a small patch of woods to get rid of some shades that were annoying me for two rounds already. When I got there, an assassin popped out. Challenges were made and accepted, the assassin bunked on all his rolls failing to even wound the unit champion. The champion killed him and the shades unit was demolished. (Khorne with additional hand weapons for the win!!! RAWR!)

When it's cavalry on the other hand..Don't take a champion on knights. Half the points cost of another model for one extra attack, not really worth it. Musician and standard bearer are a must though, especially if you're in a desperate spot and needing some VPs to even scratch out a narrow victory so you're charging head on into hard enemy infantry praying they break.

For light/fast cavalry, don't bother with anything but a musician. The units are cheap, and they're meant for harassing. No one expects them to do anything but knock out the occasional model so that your harder units can go in and take advantage of the weakened state.

Griffery
16-06-2009, 03:30
Thanks for all of the great tips. This has really helped me understand the uses of command.