PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cavalry

Griffery
15-06-2009, 03:05
I have read it over so many times in the rule book and I still do not truly understand it. Can someone please explain it to me a bit better and tell me how it is effective or used in a game.

famehunter
15-06-2009, 03:32
Normally a unit of archers can only shoot in a 90 arc in front of it and can never shoot after a march move.
Archers on fast cavalry on the other side can march and still shoot after. Further more, their firing arc is 360 making it possible for them to shoot from behind !

Fast cavalry also get free "reform" manoevres. Which normally takes 100% of the movement of a normal unit.

And lastly, fast cavalry that was fleeing at the begining of their turn and managed to rally may then move as normal during their turn ! (normal units would simply skip the turn)

WLBjork
15-06-2009, 04:07
N Further more, their firing arc is 360 making it possible for them to shoot from behind !

Do you mean shoot to their rear? :angel:

Lord Dan
15-06-2009, 04:44
Could you give us something about the rule that is confusing to you? Fast Cavalry is a relatively complex rule to try to "sum up" for you.

Griffery
15-06-2009, 05:12
I guess I mean how are they so maneuverable(sp.) like can this free reform change the direction they are facing and allow you to charge the enemy the next turn in the flank? Also is it worth buying fast calvalry units because they die so easily.

Lord Dan
15-06-2009, 05:26
Ah, now I understand. I had trouble with this at first as well. Fast cavalry can basically do whatever they want, so long as no individual model goes further than his total movement allowance. The best way to conceptualize this is to figure out what way you want to go, measure the distance there from the model that would have to move the furthest, move him, then form up the other models around him any way you want (so long as that doesn't take the other models further than they should be able to move). They can "reform" mid movement, meaning they can end up in a different formation than they started.

I think they are a great value, because their high maneuverability makes them quite survivable.

nosferatu1001
15-06-2009, 08:36
And lastly, fast cavalry that was fleeing at the begining of their turn and managed to rally may then move as normal during their turn ! (normal units would simply skip the turn)

Only if they fled from a charge, not through panic or broken from combat.

Milgram
15-06-2009, 09:14
Fast cavalry can basically do whatever they want, so long as no individual model goes further than his total movement allowance.

this is how we play it and it is how most people seem to play it. RAW you get ONE free reform. the rest of the movement you still would have to wheel etc. also you couldn't be 5 wide, get trough between two units that stand too close for 5 models to pass and then form up to 5 again.

but... we don't care for that and just move them their movement/double movement as if they were skirmishers that have to end up in formation. also we give them LOS if you can draw a line from any point of the base to the enemy, which means that they have full LOS 99% of the time. the point to test LOS from is not 100% defined for models with 360 LOS - especially when it comes to mounted models.

Chipacabra
15-06-2009, 09:34
this is how we play it and it is how most people seem to play it. RAW you get ONE free reform.

Eh? The rulebook clearly says you may reform fast cavalry for free as many times as you like during movement.

Gazak Blacktoof
15-06-2009, 10:24
the point to test LOS from is not 100% defined for models with 360 LOS - especially when it comes to mounted models.

That's because it doesn't need to be. You can draw LOS from any point on the base for 360 LOS.