PDA

View Full Version : WoC vs Night Goblins (500 points)

kalleha
15-06-2009, 18:31
This report concerns a friendly game between myself (WoC) and a friends pure Night Goblin army (don't ask me why he did it), playing the Flank Attack Scenario.

WoC Army

1 Exalted Hero
Rending Sword, Additional Hand Weapon, Favour of the Gods

15 Marauders
FC, Flails

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails, Musician

3 Ogres
Additional Hand Weapons

1 Chaos Spawn

Night Goblin Army

1 Night Goblin Big Boss
Giant Squig, Wollopa, Light Armor, Enchanted Shield

20 Night Goblins
FC, Spears

20 Night Goblins
FC, Spears

10 Squigs

10 Squigs

2 Spear Chukkas

Deployment

Because of the fact that we were playing on a relatively small table (about 4 feet across) the deployment zones ended being up about a foot across). The table was also relatively bare; there was a hill in his deployment zone and some scattered ruins across the board.

I deployed my Marauders with flails to the center right of the board and my ogres to the center left, my Exalted Hero joined the unit of Marauders. I chose my Marauder Horsemen and the Spawn to be my flanking force, who would flank from the left.

My opponent deployed his Spear Chukkas on the hill, which was on the top right of the board (from my PoV). All four units of his infantry were set up around the hill, with his Night Goblins with spears in the center and the Squigs on the flanks. His hero was deployed to center left (again from my PoV).

Turn One

Night Goblins won the roll to go first and he opted to move none of his units, save for his hero, which moved forward around 12" (rolling 3D6). In the shooting phase his Spear Chukkas had a clear shot of my Marauders, making pincushions out of them, thanks so some lucky rolling he managed to kill seven of them. The marauders failed the panic test (with my generals leadership) but were able to re-roll it and pass thanks to The Will of Chaos.

In my turn I moved my general out of the unit of Marauders, moving him up the board diagonally to the left to meet his general, while the Marauders marched up 8". The Ogres Marched up 12" to the center left of the board to take cover behind some ruins.

Turn Two

Again there was no Goblin movement save for his general who moved about near 10" towards mine. His Chukkas were less lucky this turn, one missed and the other only managed to kill two Marauders.

Things were looking up as I declared a charge with my general on his (who turned out to be 8.5" away, epic fail), my general moved up 4", in pefect position to be charged by his general next turn. The Marauders, all six of them, moved up so that they would be able to either charge or be charged the turn after next. Meanwhile the Ogres marched to take up a position on the left flank.

Turn Three

The Night Goblin Big Boss elected to move towards my hero and proceeded to roll 6" on his 3D6 move, making his charge barely successful. His Spear Chukkas (who have been blessed by god for all i know) both hit and took out 2 Marauders, who failed two leadership tests and fled 6" toward my table edge. During the close combat phase his general failed to wound with all his attacks, but his Squig was able to make one S10 attack, which, big surprise, wounded my general. My Exalted Hero returned with 5 attacks, which, thanks to the Rending Sword, all hit. I killed his general and, thanks to Favour of the Gods, got Command of the Gods (+1 Ld) on the Eye of the Gods chart.

At the start of my turn I rolled a 4 on a D6, meaning that my flank force had arrived. My spawn and my Marauder Horsemen both deployed on the left flank, not able to charge, but able to march. My four Marauders were able to rally and reformed to again face his side of the board. I moved all three units (Ogres, Spawn, Horsemen) on the left flank into position to charge next turn while I moved my general forward and to the left into the ruins at the center left of the board.

Turn Four

All four units of Night Goblin infantry wheeled/reformed/moved to confront the left flank (none were able to charge). The Spear Chukkas fired at the Ogres, one missed while the other caused two wounds).

I declared charges with the Ogres and the Marauder Horsemen. The Marauder Horsemen charged the leftmost unit of Squigs, managing to hit them in the flank, while the Ogres charged the left unit of Night Goblins with Spears. I moved the spawn and general up to be able to help next turn. The Marauder Horsemen managed to kill two Squigs with three attacks (wow!), and the Squigs were not able to attack back. The Night Goblins with spears failed the fear test and would be hitting on sixes. The Ogres with 12 WS3 attacks managed to kill seven goblins, in return for no losses. I passed both break tests.

Turn Five

The remaining two units of goblins moved towards the left flank (again, neither was able to charge). The Spear Chukkas fired the my Marauders, missing twice. In the combat with the Marauder Horsemen I managed to kill no Squigs, while he inflicted one wound in response. I passed my break test. The combat with the Ogres was much more fun; I managed to kill eight more goblins, and in return he finished off one Ogre. He failed the break test and fled 10", I pursued 8" into the one of the Spear Chukka's crew, while the other crew fled off the board because of their panic test.

During my turn I charged his Squigs on the left flank with my Chaos Spawn while my General charged the remaining unit of Night Goblins with Spears. In close combat I won the combat against the war machine and pursued into his Squigs with my Ogres, while my spawn and Marauder Horsemen were finally able to break the original unit of Squigs. The Marauder Horsemen pursued and ran them down. My general again hit with all five attacks and wounded with all of them in return for no wounds (he's sitting pretty at one), and passed his break test.

Turn Six

There were no Night Goblin units not engaged in a combat at this point so we moved straight on to that phase (his Night Goblins did not rally). My General was able to hit, wound and kill another five Night Goblins, taking no wounds, passing his break test. The Ogres Managed to wound three Squigs taking one wound in return. The Squigs broke combat and were run down by my Ogres.

I had only one potential charge this turn, I managed to get my Spawn into combat with the last unit of NG with spears. My General inflicted four wounds, while he took one and finally expired, meanwhile the Spawn killed a further three. The NG with spear broke and ran into my unit of Ogres. At this point there were no remaining NG units on the table. :)

Victory Points

WoC: 500
NG: 205

Because there is no entry on the victory point table below 2000points in the 6th edition rulebook, this game was only counted as a Solid Victory, though we both agreed it was a Massacre, along with being lots of fun.

Sorry if there are any inconsistencies in this report; I'm writing this up the day after. Would also appreciate any C&C with respect to my army list/tactics/battle report or whatever!

Thanks for reading!,

kalleha

Malorian
15-06-2009, 19:11
Because of the fact that we were playing on a relatively small table (about 4 feet across) the deployment zones ended being up about a foot across).

This is how most tables are... either 4X4 or 6X4 with deployment zones being 1 foot deep and a no-man's land of 2 feet.

Do you usually play differently?

Dungeon_Lawyer
15-06-2009, 21:41
cool report---early on the ng's looked as if they had a shot in this one. But passing the check from the s.chucker shots & and his boss whiffing his attacks against yours had to go his way, and of course didnt. I think he should have aimed his s. chuckers at your boss.....but anyway, cool batrep.

kalleha
15-06-2009, 22:32
This is how most tables are... either 4X4 or 6X4 with deployment zones being 1 foot deep and a no-man's land of 2 feet.

Do you usually play differently?

I lied... After going downstairs and measuring the table, I "rediscovered" its about 3 and a half feet across, and as a result, our deployment zones were about 9" deep. Sorryio.

Malorian
16-06-2009, 01:10
No problem :) Just so long as you started 24 inches apart all is good.

At first I thought his fanatics would mess you up... then I saw he didn't have any... then I saw the spear chukkas... then I saw the spear chukkas RAPE your block... then it just all fell apart for the goblins...

Looks like you had a fun game :)

swarmofseals
16-06-2009, 02:05
I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure you can't take an additional hand weapon with a magic weapon. Or rather, you can but it has no effect.

daemondog
16-06-2009, 02:56
I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure you can't take an additional hand weapon with a magic weapon. Or rather, you can but it has no effect.

Your right, characters can't mix magical and mundane close combat weaponry. Doubt it had that much of an impact in the game but its a good point.