PDA

View Full Version : To kill a stegadon?!

Black_12
16-06-2009, 00:01
I have an issue with stegadons, how to kill them...

ive been playing WOC at 2000pts in several games and as of yet havent managed to kill a stegadon effectively.

In particular i was thinking ancient stegadons with warspear, seems to be the hardest combo.
There is of course gateway and several character combos however i have had no luck....

Anyone have any ideas? Anything thats worked for you?

Woc vs lizardmen help would be most appreciated..

Thanks

TheMav80
16-06-2009, 00:14
I would think some charging Chaos Knights could do it. You would be slightly faster than the Stegadon so could be able to get a charge off. If they are marked with Nurgle that makes the Steg WS2 to hit back and the regular Skinks WS1!

Can buboes pick off a character on it? If so that could work great.

Really I think most things in a WoC list should win as long as you get the charge on the Stegadon. It relies greatly on it's impact hits.

Black_12
16-06-2009, 00:51
Hey thanks for the reply. I agree with charging but with the 2d6 impact hits from warspeer as str6 it really reduces the hitting power. also the steg is us 10 and terror...auto break is a big issue...
cheers

Necromancy Black
16-06-2009, 01:22
Just charge it with Chaos Knights, dragon and throw some Tzeentch magic at it. Just don't let the Stegadon charge you and it's dead.

Dranthar
16-06-2009, 01:47
Just don't let the Stegadon charge you and it's dead.

I think that's what it comes down to. Use Chaos Hounds and/or Maraulder Horsemen to prevent the stegadon hitting anything valuble, and then charge it yourself with Chaos Knights. If you're concerned about terror/combat resolution, Nurgle, Slaneesh or Khorne (Tzzentch maybe) should all be great for preventing auto-break. Also, just focus on the skinks - with enough kills you should have little trouble winning combat and the stegadon itself is only Ld 5.

Unless I'm mistaken, Buboes should work very nicely against whatever hero might be sitting in the howda.

Witchblade
16-06-2009, 01:58
Buboes gets randomised as per the RoBI FAQ.

Black_12
16-06-2009, 01:58
Thanks, ill see how things go

TheMav80
16-06-2009, 02:00
"Only" Stubborn, ColdBlooded leadership 5. :p

It should also be noted that the Skinks will have a better armour save than the Steg, though it is much easier to hurt T2 than T6.

Necromancy Black
16-06-2009, 02:05
"Only" Stubborn, ColdBlooded leadership 5. :p

Skinks are Ld 6, so it's stubborn Cold Blooded Ld6, which is just between normal Ld7-8.

Drachen_Jager
16-06-2009, 03:52
Odds are a unit of Chaos Knights focusing on the Skink crew will wipe them out though. So Ld5 is the one that matters.

billr
16-06-2009, 05:41
Giant, thump with club. 2d6 S6 wounds.

danny-d-b
16-06-2009, 05:58
Giant, thump with club. 2d6 S6 wounds.
I'd agree, thats why I have my giant in the army, use hounds to get it in position then giant to the flank and hope for thump with club

Necromancy Black
16-06-2009, 06:54
Odds are a unit of Chaos Knights focusing on the Skink crew will wipe them out though. So Ld5 is the one that matters.
Brings an interesting point for the mounted versions. Chaos must issue a challenge and in a challenge only the character and steg can fight and be hit, as per the stegadons rules.

Given that an ancient steg gives the rider a 2+ save, this could go on for more then a single round of combat.

grhino
16-06-2009, 11:57
This is indeed a BIG flaw in the stegadon rules! At can challenge any character or champion (and in case of chaos, you have to challenge) and the rest of the unit really becomes useless. My chaos knights that hit the damn thing in the flank could only watch as their champion got butchered by a bellowing ancient steg, ran and got run down! You would expect to do some damage with rampaging chaos knights in the flank, but apparently that was a stupid expectation! I hate new steggies! I want cannon and bolt throwers, and even those struggle to kill the damn thing if it is carrying a engine of the gods with that 5+ ward save thing! It is truly overpowered and very annoying, unbalancing every game I played against the new lizzies!

dsw1
16-06-2009, 13:01
This is indeed a BIG flaw in the stegadon rules! At can challenge any character or champion (and in case of chaos, you have to challenge) and the rest of the unit really becomes useless. My chaos knights that hit the damn thing in the flank could only watch as their champion got butchered by a bellowing ancient steg, ran and got run down! You would expect to do some damage with rampaging chaos knights in the flank, but apparently that was a stupid expectation! I hate new steggies! I want cannon and bolt throwers, and even those struggle to kill the damn thing if it is carrying a engine of the gods with that 5+ ward save thing! It is truly overpowered and very annoying, unbalancing every game I played against the new lizzies!

Just don't take a champ and he can't challenge. You'd butcher the things easily with 5 knights (cheaper than the steg + character too).

Unuhexium
16-06-2009, 13:07
Chaos knights with banner or rage and mark of nurgle are experts at fighting stegadons. Just aim for the crew and you'll rack up enough CR to win. I never give my knights a champion since this is very counterproductive for fighting stegadons. That's how i do it. Works pretty well even without MoN.

Jetty Smurf
16-06-2009, 13:32
Sorry for an almost pointless post here, but it has been bugging me since it was first mentioned.

I don't know if they misprinted my book or your books, but not only do the skink crew have Ld6, but so do both the steg and the ancient steg.

EvC
16-06-2009, 13:57
Hellcannon and Chaos Lord are two ways of killing a Steg.

Necromancy Black
16-06-2009, 14:51
Sorry for an almost pointless post here, but it has been bugging me since it was first mentioned.

I don't know if they misprinted my book or your books, but not only do the skink crew have Ld6, but so do both the steg and the ancient steg.

lol, that's completely true. Must have been confused from last edition :p

Hellcannon and Chaos Lord are two ways of killing a Steg.

My EotG actually survived 2 turns of shooting from 2 hellcannons. WoC was pissed off with my ward save rolls.

jirgaS
16-06-2009, 17:03
Brings an interesting point for the mounted versions. Chaos must issue a challenge and in a challenge only the character and steg can fight and be hit, as per the stegadons rules.

Given that an ancient steg gives the rider a 2+ save, this could go on for more then a single round of combat.

Only characters are forced to issue challenges. So unit with no characters in it can bash the skinks all they want.

Black_12
16-06-2009, 17:26
I was thinking hellcannon plus i like the model and rules for it. The giant option is very viable although with 2 giant blow pipes ancient steg can easily kill a giant. The best idea i think ive come up with is a big unit of slaneesh warriors in the front with a banner of the gods and then a flank charge with knights or giant.

This would do the job but commits 500pts to one fight...

My conclusion is as stated above...new steg is overpowered inbalenced and has no weaknesses, it also comes in an army that has few weaknesses...

Necromancy Black
16-06-2009, 23:04
Only characters are forced to issue challenges. So unit with no characters in it can bash the skinks all they want.

Nope, unit champions must also issue challenges. Check out the WoC FAQ. The EotG rule says ALL chaos models must issue a challenge, and so GW have said that means all of them, even the ones without the EotG rule.

Plus depending on the size of the knights unit the character on the steg can just issue a challenge and the champion won't ben able to refuse.

EvC
17-06-2009, 11:37
My EotG actually survived 2 turns of shooting from 2 hellcannons. WoC was pissed off with my ward save rolls.

And I've destroyed an entire Engine with the first Hellcannon shot of a game. Guess that means on average that they work ok ;)

jirgaS
17-06-2009, 15:10
guess i should read this WoC faq then. btw I have never even thought of actually shootin with hellcannon. I see it more as a slow spawn. Should give it a go though.

GenerationTerrorist
17-06-2009, 19:43
Kholek would butcher a Stegadon easily.
But I think Slaanesh is the best mark for taking on the big Lizzies. MoS Marauders with Flails in the front, then try and flank the Steg with MoS Knights with Banner of Rage either in the same turn, or the very next turn.