PDA

View Full Version : chaos knights lances or no lances and what mark to give them?

bizzar6311
16-06-2009, 15:24
Not sure how to equip my chaos knights. Stick with the enscrolled weapons or go for lances. I know breaking something on the charge is the way to go with them so wouldn't lances be better?

Also what mark should I give them I know using one unit with mark of nurgle and banner of rage is good so I know that. But what mark should I use on my other two units? Khorne and screen with hounds? Or nurgle?

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
16-06-2009, 15:26
I am interested in this thread, although I have no input.

Spirit
16-06-2009, 15:33
Normal weapons, they are good enough as it is. S5 is fine.

As for mark, i find mark of nurgle knights to be the most difficult to face.

Eta
16-06-2009, 15:49
Stick with the ensorcelled weapons. Two units of six knights with the mark of Tzeentch, musican and standard bearer have never let me down.

Greetings
Eta

willowdark
16-06-2009, 15:53
Most people seem to want to avoid Frenzy since it can be such a liability, but I don't. Screeners come cheap for WoC so anyone wanting to exploit your Frenzy will need to devote a lot of resources to cleaning up those screens. At M7, those Khorne Knights will be barreling down on the enemy too fast for them to clear away 2 x 5 Warhounds, and if even one of either unit survives it can still do its job.

Since most people seem to go for the obligatory 2 units of Knights, and since you'll want to screen Knights anyway, having at least 1 unit of Khorne will really become a huge tactical advantage for you since your enemy will absolutely have to deflect them. And that means mowing down those screens which will be a big distraction from the rest of your threats.

I agree that Nurgle is a fantastic mark for Knights, but Korne is an unstoppable force. Even 2 x MoK can be way too difficult for most armies to handle.

jirgaS
16-06-2009, 16:42
I follow Nurgle so the mark is quite obvious but that frenzy banner does wonders with them..

bizzar6311
16-06-2009, 16:59
I was thinking of running

5 chaos knights, musician, standard, banner of rage, mark of nurlge, lances

5 chaos knights, musician, mark of khorne, lances

5 chaos knights, musician, mark of khorne, lances

Brother J
16-06-2009, 18:15
Avoid the lances. Sure, S6 on the charge is nice, but there is a lot of other cavalry units in the game rocking lances for that specific reason. Chaos Knights were given an awesome weapon and S5, Mark of your choice, and Banner of your choice will generally break just about anything you're charging into unless they're Stubborn, ITP, and are walking in big blocks.

S5 at all times beats S6 for a turn and regular strength the next turn if you manage to get bogged down into a second round of combat, which unlike popular belief, really isn't all that hard with Knights. They're tough, they hit hard, but they're not a 600 point Blood Knights unit with a BSB unit strength of 9,000 and Fear charging in with Lances and Frenzy.

danny-d-b
16-06-2009, 18:21
best knight combos
nurgle, banner of rage
tzenctch banner of 5+ ward vs shooting
Khone with no banner

3 very nice units of knights!

lord mekri
16-06-2009, 18:23
the only reason to equip chaos knights with lances is if you like the look of them.
for game play, the standard ensorcelled weapons are fine.

i usually field two units. no marks.
one with the banner of rage, and one with the warbanner or the ward save banner.
each with a hero. one with the chaos rune sword, 1 with the axe of khorne.
each with a unit of horsemen with them, and possibly a unit of hounds.
one of the knight units will always reach the enemy. sometimes both.
only one needs to.
by the time they recover from the assault, my foot csloggers have arrived to clean up the mess.

frenzy is good, just keep the unit off the flanks.

Griffery
16-06-2009, 18:27
I normally give them their normal weapons because why waste points on something that gives you one more strength on the charge and one less strength for the rest of the time. Also I normally take two sets of 5 knights. I normally have bad and good knights. My "bad" knights i give them MoK and my good knights I give MoN with the banner of Rage so they are still frenzied. I do not understand why people wouldn't frenzy their knights seeing how you can give them 5 more atks. Also they normally dont stay tarpitted for that long considering they would have 15 S5 atks and then their mounts. Chaos Knights are too destructive and so I always give them frenzy and use 2 sets. They are great.

Drachen_Jager
16-06-2009, 19:15
The core of my army is 4 units of 6 Knights of Khorne. With that many frenzied Mv 7 units it's nearly impossible for your opponent to re-direct usefully. I wouldn't go with 5 in a unit since you can always fit 6 in a normal combat and the extra 5 hits go a long ways, it also allows you to soak up some casualties and still hit hard. I run 3 units naked because the points for champs, standards and musicians are better used for more warhounds and 1 unit has a warbanner for when that extra little bit of combat resolution is needed.

When contemplating what mark just think, 30 attacks or 18 attacks?

Lances are a bit of a waste, sure they're s6 on the charge but they're s4 in all other situations. Maybe take 1 unit with lances for charging big nasties but more than 1 unit of lances is going to hurt more than it will help.

bizzar6311
16-06-2009, 19:24
Well I plan on running something like this

Deamon prince lvl4, mark of tzeentch, tendrils, blood curdling roar

Sorcerer lvl2, mark of tzeentch, disc, reroll dice except one's, conjoined homunculs

Sorcerer lvl2, mark of nurgle, infernal puppet, steed

Sorcerer lvl2, mark of nurgle, black tounge, steed

3x 5 maurauder horsemen, musician, throwing axes

3x 5 Hounds

5 chaos knights, musician, standard, banner of rage, mark of nurgle, lances

2x 5 chaos knights, musician, mark of khorne

Think I should switch mark of khorne for nurgle?

Witchblade
16-06-2009, 20:50
... use search? This has been discussed many times over.

Necromancy Black
16-06-2009, 23:21
5 chaos knights, musician, standard, banner of rage, mark of nurgle, lances

2x 5 chaos knights, musician, mark of khorne

Think I should switch mark of khorne for nurgle?

Well if you insist on taking crap lances over the good enscrolled weapons (a unit equipped with a whole bunch of Sword of Mights if a damn good thing!) then go with frenzy over nurgle simple because your not going to want to hang around after a charge and the extra attacks would be better for you.

But if you ever face undead, get rid of the lances. Magical attacks on a damn good knight unit means spirit hosts, banshees and even that damn coach are all in serious trouble.

Gaargod
17-06-2009, 12:08
Seriously, listen to the comments.

Swords > Lances.
If you run into hardcore infantry blocks (i.e. stubborn/tough undead) or get charged, you will seriously regret taking the lances. Chaos Knights of khorne (or Nurgle with angry banner) are one of the best grinding units in the game, as they have good S, WS, A and I to hit first and hard, with T4 and 1+ save to stop any casualties on the return.

Oh, and always give them a banner (and musician if they're Khorne, don't want to lose that frenzy). They're insanely hard to beat off in combat, so they rarely give up that banner and the extra CR really helps for breaking units.

Oh and while we're at it, give your Prince Diabolic Splendour. Makes him pretty useful for terror bombing and general disruptment. And i'd say take scroll+power familiar over black tongue, but that's just me.