PDA

View Full Version : Ways to assume a player-made character doesn't die in battle?

omera
16-06-2009, 20:49
I'm testing out various armies for 40k before choosing to buy one, since I discovered the wonders of Vassal. I'd go Necrons without a problem, but it'd be hard to do fanfiction on something that can't even have unique characters.

As of now, Ordo Malleus and Ordo Hereticus armies got my attention. Theres some problems.

1. I want to avoid power armor completely, if it doesn't hinder my army's competativeness. No grey knights, in other words.
2. Sororitas seem to be heavily female oriented. I wouldn't play a list mostly female solely for the same reason I wouldn't roleplay a female on an MMO. Its just me. I'm essentially trying to use mostly Inquisitor Stormtroopers and such.

As for a reason that my Inquisitor Lord doesn't die all the time (he only has one life, y'know?), I can't think of one other than the possibility of him using some kind of Xeno-tech or Daemon-weapon (the daemon of Khorne would keep him alive so he can shed more blood) to prevent himself from dying.

Petay1985
16-06-2009, 21:11
apologies for the confusion i need some clarity, are trying to develop an 'add in' piece of wargear?
or
Simply trying to develop a justifyable piece of fluff that allows you to keep him alive in the next battle even when he dies on the table top?

omera
16-06-2009, 21:17
Simply trying to develop a justifyable piece of fluff that allows you to keep him alive in the next battle even when he dies on the table top?

The latter.

Cpt_Baughan
16-06-2009, 21:17
The rules are designed to represent a model no longer being able to continue fighting this could be because they are too badly injured, knocked out or of course dead.

For a campaign where you didn't want him to die you would just say his storm troopers dragged away his injured body or something

omera
16-06-2009, 21:23
The rules are designed to represent a model no longer being able to continue fighting this could be because they are too badly injured, knocked out or of course dead.

For a campaign where you didn't want him to die you would just say his storm troopers dragged away his injured body or something

But how many times can that happen before he finally dies?
My guess is not much, especially if it was a tank that inflicted that last wound.

Petay1985
16-06-2009, 21:26
my understanding is that in the 41st millenium they use more than plasters, antibiotics and bonjela to treat wounds.

bionics, growing of new limbs, life preservation tanks, etc..

count chocula
16-06-2009, 21:26
well he does not always have to be on the field he could always send a stand in (he is an inquisitor after all) then again you could say that his faith in the emperor saved him from a agonizing death

omera
16-06-2009, 21:28
well he does not always have to be on the field he could always send a stand in (he is an inquisitor after all) then again you could say that his faith in the emperor saved him from a agonizing death

Ah. I planned on assuming he's somewhere else on the battlefield (off game board, you could say). The problem is that are Inquisitor Lords too indisposable for the Imperium to lose all the time if I decide to assume the Lord is a standard unnamed Inquisitor Lord?

Bookwrak
16-06-2009, 21:30
But how many times can that happen before he finally dies?
My guess is not much, especially if it was a tank that inflicted that last wound.

Or, y'know, the concussion of being a little too close to the blast left him dazed and out of action for the next ten minutes, after which he shook it off and was ready for action again.

SPYDER68
16-06-2009, 21:35
What if he gets turned into a Squig.. or a chaos spawn.. or .. insta death.. :P

Eldoriath
16-06-2009, 21:35
Let him own an special bionic that is implantet at the base of his skull that kicks in when he is fataly wounded. Basically it will keep his head alive for an half-hour even if it is separated from the body. What it does is simply providing oxygen and sugar to the brain when the heart beat goes below certain values.

Petay1985
16-06-2009, 21:37
What if he gets turned into a Squig.. or a chaos spawn.. or .. insta death.. :P

indeed, even as simply a 'fluff' explanation there are some 'deaths' that I do not believe can be convincingly argued away, as so brilliantly pointed out by SPYDER68.

omera
16-06-2009, 21:39
indeed, even as simply a 'fluff' explanation there are some 'deaths' that I do not believe can be convincingly argued away, as so brilliantly pointed out by SPYDER68.

After doing further research on Necrons, it turns out that the Lords DO have conscious. I might go with the Inquisition, or Necrons in that case.

Still- How disposable is even an Inquisitor lord in the Imperium? Are there always replacements?
Edit: I'm asking because I want an Inquisitor Lord as my HQ unit, but he's not a fan-made character: Just a nameless guy who dies eventually anyway.

Lord_Crull
16-06-2009, 21:44
After doing further research on Necrons, it turns out that the Lords DO have conscious. I might go with the Inquisition, or Necrons in that case.

Still- How disposable is even an Inquisitor lord in the Imperium? Are there always replacements?

Look, don't worry about your lord. I've seen Special characters die dozens of times on the battlefield. My own commanders have died countless times. Just ignore some of that if you don't like it. The results of a tabletop game should not have a major affect on your fluff. If that where true then I would have killed the Nightbringer several times over.:D

Cane
16-06-2009, 21:50
NEEDS MORE GRIMDARK! No one survives in 40k, not even the Emperor (more or less dead especially if we're talking about tabletop gameplay)!

As for fluff you can always just ignore the outcome of some games and call it a 'training' mission, have body doubles like Saddam Hussein, clones, or just ignore instances where he dies altogether :chrome:

omera
16-06-2009, 21:51
Look, don't worry about your lord. I've seen Special characters die dozens of times on the battlefield. My own commanders have died countless times. Just ignore some of that if you don't like it. The results of a tabletop game should not have a major affect on your fluff. If that where true then I would have killed the Nightbringer several times over.:D

Now just to figure out what army to play.
Also, do Necrons travel throughout the galaxy as 'hit and run' raiders rather than always build empires?

Askari
16-06-2009, 22:14
Also, do Necrons travel throughout the galaxy as 'hit and run' raiders rather than always build empires?

Well, their Empire already exists... Tomb Worlds are those planets where they lie dormant. I don't see them as much "hit and run" more like "arrive and harvest". Most Necrons that have awakened are pretty much annoyed at being woken and just eliminate those who've disturbed their Tomb Worlds, though as ever, they can and do go elsewhere.

As for your character die in-game, just ignore it, explain it off that he was merely unconscious or was suddenly transported to safety just in time or some other hollywood-esque escape. If everyone that died in my games stayed dead, my Chapter would be non-existant...

Lord_Crull
16-06-2009, 22:18

Old necron fluff, they where raiders, unfourtunatly GW seems ot be revising the necron fluff so we don't really know much. I would read the 5th edition description and base your description off of that because that's what the new codex appears to be going to.

Althouhg if you are going to play necrons you should wait until the new codex comes out since they are not ver good now.

FeetOfClay
16-06-2009, 22:29
About surviving the battle, you would be surprised how many potentially fatal injuries people can recover from if they just have a name and a few lines of background...:p

bob_the_small
16-06-2009, 22:34
You want an army of stormtroopers..... essentially Imperial Guard then?

Mannimarco
16-06-2009, 22:47
that would do it, new imperial guard codex, vetrans as your troops and allied inquisition

JHZ
16-06-2009, 22:57
Easy solution: Your character is a spineless coward who runs away the moment the chips are down. He has a personal teleporter ready do beam him the Hell away from there. Perfect for a really snobby IG commander, ain't it?

Another solution: He's a clone, and every time he dies, they put out a new clone.

Or how about: He has body doubles on the field?

Or: The commander isn't really there, just a servitor carrying a large monitor, through which he can inspire his troops.

But seriously (the first idea was a serious one, the rest weren't as much), what's the big problem? I have "special character", down to even some troopers, and they survive battle after battle.

omera
16-06-2009, 23:07
Easy solution: Your character is a spineless coward who runs away the moment the chips are down. He has a personal teleporter ready do beam him the Hell away from there. Perfect for a really snobby IG commander, ain't it?

Another solution: He's a clone, and every time he dies, they put out a new clone.

Or how about: He has body doubles on the field?

Or: The commander isn't really there, just a servitor carrying a large monitor, through which he can inspire his troops.

But seriously (the first idea was a serious one, the rest weren't as much), what's the big problem? I have "special character", down to even some troopers, and they survive battle after battle.

I like the idea of a servitor-carried monitor armed with guns and a melee weapon of some sort.

JHZ
17-06-2009, 00:32
Then again, those are all for an Imperial army.

If you have an Eldar army, you could use the Avatar rules as some sort of a super wraithguard, and say that every time it gets taken down, the Eldar recover the soulstone and put him into a new body.

And if it's an Ork army, then... I dunno, he's caught in a time bubble and keeps reappearing over and over. Besides, Orks can be blown apart and still be put together. The only reason to even have bionics on them is because it might work better than the old stuff, or the old stuff was lost and there weren't any replacement bits available at the time.

Tyranids: They just spawn a new link into the chain.

Tau. Now that's a tricky one, as they're not down with all this crazy ass BS that fills up the space between the covers and the rules (it's not called 'fluff' for nothing). Well, since the commander is always in a suit, you can replace him without chaging anything about the model. Or maybe the suit is enough durable, that the pilot survives the rough landing once the suit goes out (just don't give him the bomb and/or the ejection system).

Admech (you know, if you wanna, cuz I'm totally cool with that): They just keep replacing body parts anyways, so a few new bionicks in there won't hurt.

And you know Chaos gods just keep on summoning back their best minions, so if your lord happens to be one of the lucky few, he can take anything just below the divine retribution of the almighty Emperor and live to tell the tale.

And daemon, what's gonna kill them? Their bodies get destroyed and they go straight back to the Warp. You just can't keep a good daemon down.

Mannimarco
17-06-2009, 00:41
i woudnt worry about characters dying, heck ive lost typhus at least 90% of the time i field him, overconfidence, t4/5 and no eternal warrior, typhus does not like demolisher cannons

AlmightyNocturnus
17-06-2009, 00:43
Back to the original post,

Supporting your side: in one of the Ciaphas Cain novels, his inquisitor friend has a piece of tech that teleports her to a seemingly random location each time she gets shot. That might save your inquisitor from certain death.

Showing how your side is missing the point: In role-playing games, one`s own character is everything and preserving them keeps the game going. in wargaming, everyone dies because it`s war and war doesn`t care about personalities and such. Your inquisitor will die..as will his replacement...and his replacement...and her replacement...

Almighty Nocturnus

Askari
17-06-2009, 01:06
Back to the original post,

Supporting your side: in one of the Ciaphas Cain novels, his inquisitor friend has a piece of tech that teleports her to a seemingly random location each time she gets shot. That might save your inquisitor from certain death.

A displacer field?
I think that's the one, existed in Rogue Trader I believe.
I'm surprised no-one thought of it earlier, it's a good way to look at it.

JHZ
17-06-2009, 01:52
Random, eh? I wonder how such a thing would work without lazy writing where "It just works, ok!"

For one, how does it stop you from tellyporting inside objects? How does it always manage to teleport you the right way up at ground level without you ending a few inches off the ground or your soles fusing with the ground? How does it manage to teleport you onto a flat surface, taking into account difference in level and planetary curve, as well as not teleporting you like 500 meters straight up or something.

Don't those proper teleporters need like tons of calculations and all to be able to drop those guys off at the right location, but wait, here's a little gizmo that does away with all that and does it automatically. No more armies of techpriests and logic engines crunching the numbers, just press a button and presto, you're there.

Then again, if the device actually does contain even some of the faults I already mentioned, I take it back. It's just that when something like this comes along, it takes that plot out back and puts a .45 size hole in the back of its head.

InquisitorNiels
17-06-2009, 05:45
For an Inquisitor maybe when his last wound is taken he doesn't "die" just leaves because his time is better spent other places, after all an Inquisitor is a busy man. While he might make sure his troops deployed in the correct place, and help in the start of the battle at some time he needs to sneak off to go do something more important. Maybe the battle is just to distract the enemy while the Inquisitor sneaks into the enemy base and collects vital information.

This would work if he gets killed by ranged weapons, in close combat I would just say what the others have said...he gets hit so hard he passes out and wakes up after the battle is over, or something along those lines.

But why would you not want to use Sisters of Battle, or the Grey Knights...these guys are the coolest part of the army IMO.

holmcross
17-06-2009, 06:36
Just take a page out of BL's playbook and choose whatever Deus ex machina you'd like. I bet you'll do a better job then they would, anyway.

Solar_Eclipse
17-06-2009, 07:58
Displacer field.

That sudden shot is about to hit *Pop* Dissappears and reappears somewhere close.

Bassik
17-06-2009, 08:01
At the last moment, Scotty beams them up.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
17-06-2009, 09:33
Why not try an Inquisitor army and use storm troopers and fanatics as troops, use the cool units like flaggelants, penitent engines and sistersw repentia.

Weed_Bix
17-06-2009, 09:47
my understanding is that in the 41st millenium they use more than plasters, antibiotics and bonjela to treat wounds.

bionics, growing of new limbs, life preservation tanks, etc..

Indeed and to back this up good ol' Colonel Schaeffer from Last chancers fame is revealed in the books to be possibly hundreds of years old and almost completely rebuilt after having injuries such as being run over by a tank and shot to pieces numerous times. So yes i think its entirely plausible that they can piece together your inquisito after many grievous injuries provided he is important enough.

Dr. Hellbeast
17-06-2009, 10:25
I'd just write into his fluff that he suffers from narcolepsy.

That way you can say he just falls down asleep from time to time.

bosstroll
17-06-2009, 10:55
Random, eh? I wonder how such a thing would work without lazy writing where "It just works, ok!"

For one, how does it stop you from tellyporting inside objects? How does it always manage to teleport you the right way up at ground level without you ending a few inches off the ground or your soles fusing with the ground? How does it manage to teleport you onto a flat surface, taking into account difference in level and planetary curve, as well as not teleporting you like 500 meters straight up or something.

Don't those proper teleporters need like tons of calculations and all to be able to drop those guys off at the right location, but wait, here's a little gizmo that does away with all that and does it automatically. No more armies of techpriests and logic engines crunching the numbers, just press a button and presto, you're there.

Then again, if the device actually does contain even some of the faults I already mentioned, I take it back. It's just that when something like this comes along, it takes that plot out back and puts a .45 size hole in the back of its head.

Big teleporters do need calculations, but those are able to teleport people miles and miles, a displacer field teleports you a few meters at best (used to be d6" in a random direction in 2nd ed.), the short distance means things like planetary curvaure are a non issue. Displacer fields have an inbuild 'dont teleport into something solid' function, it drops you off right before you enter the solid.

Also, you appear moving in the same direction at the same speed as before the displacer field went off, in the Cain novels this is demonstrated when Amberley dives to a boltpistol on the floor, gets displaced and then flies into an ornamental table further down the hallway.

Bunnahabhain
17-06-2009, 14:26
Well, if it's an inquisitor lord, he's at least a little bit psychic.

Why bother with a displacer field, when he can just use the power of personal displacement, to get him well away from whatever was about to kill him.
He can see a few seconds into the future, but it's only the imminent threat to his own life that give him the willpower to get the power to work.

NightrawenII
17-06-2009, 14:49
What about this:
He has *additional* wound, but he is too wounded to stay on the battlefield so he teleport/flee to safety.

Petay1985
17-06-2009, 16:45
Well, if it's an inquisitor lord, he's at least a little bit psychic.

Why bother with a displacer field, when he can just use the power of personal displacement, to get him well away from whatever was about to kill him.
He can see a few seconds into the future, but it's only the imminent threat to his own life that give him the willpower to get the power to work.

I like this, its kinda combining 'spider-senses' with jedi 'foresight' nice!! I think this fits better than the previous suggestions for an Inquisitor.

You could even have it wisk him off to a mysterious place, kind of like in Farscape with the guy's who give John Crighton the worm hole technology or something, anyone following me!? :confused: lol

omera
18-06-2009, 01:47
I like this, its kinda combining 'spider-senses' with jedi 'foresight' nice!! I think this fits better than the previous suggestions for an Inquisitor.

You could even have it wisk him off to a mysterious place, kind of like in Farscape with the guy's who give John Crighton the worm hole technology or something, anyone following me!? :confused: lol

I'll go with a mix of that, along with assuming his death didn't happen and the game was a 'training' game.

hummus
18-06-2009, 17:06
using the eldar soulstone idea you could say the inquisitor got a soulstone as a gift(or stole one) and now his soul resides in it and each time he is reseructed into a new body

jonnyrawkus
18-06-2009, 18:45
I suggest ad-libbing, something i do a lot when running d&d games. If a tank takes his last wound - rather than the shell hitting him directly, it causing the ruins he is in to collapse, he remains there badly injured for several days untill a patrol pick up his feint distress signal.

You might want to consider converting the model somewhat aswell to represent his near death endevours. Extra scars and bionic limbs ftw

Theres always a creative excuse for heroes not to die, they are after all heroes (not red shirts)