PDA

View Full Version : Pure speculation about army releases...

Max_Killfactor
16-06-2009, 21:05
Does the giant break in Fantasy army releases seem odd to anyone else? Lizardmen came out in February, and the most current Skaven rumors are pointing towards November. That's a large enough gap to sneak in a release in July/August.

Also, has GW ever released 2 army books/codices from the same system back to back (other than right after a new edition comes out)? Rumors are putting SW in late Sept or October. That would mean that this year we'd have:
Lizards in February, Imperial Guard in May, Space Wolves in October, Skaven in November.

Doesn't it seem like there should be a fantasy army release between IG and SW?

That gap in new army releases for fantasy, combined with the rumors about a secret army and GW's new super secret policies have got my mind racing.

Am I just crazy? Delusional? Or do you think I'm on to something...

mrtn
16-06-2009, 21:19
There's been talk about more daemons. Dunno how sure that is.
We've also heard Harry say "Skaven is the next armybook, but not the next release for fantasy".

BRETELF
16-06-2009, 21:25
I think maybe a bit of all three:D. I hope the fantasy arym books come out sooner than later.

Grimstonefire
16-06-2009, 21:26
Ohhh. A pure speculation thread! My favourite. My guess is for warhammer apocalypse combined with a mini summer campaign.

Only 2 fantasy armies in a year means they must be saving up for something, or they're currently working on something major that we have no idea of yet (like the rumoured new army).

If skaven are not the next release, and assuming we're not talking about a single mini here, it would imply a series of connected releases to me.

bizzar6311
16-06-2009, 21:34
The return of nagash!

famehunter
16-06-2009, 21:48
The witch hunters will be back in force to purge the heretics !
Or so I wish

BRETELF
16-06-2009, 22:46
i wonder whats taking them so long? What would the legion of nagash be?

Caboose123
16-06-2009, 22:48
Maybe they're putting effort into the army books.

GraveGuard
16-06-2009, 22:50
Or it could just be the next waves of minis for Dark Elves, Daemons etc.

Draconian77
16-06-2009, 22:53
I pray for plastic Harpies and new Dark Rider/Spearmen models.

The new army rumour has been going around for a while now, maybe something really is coming...but I couldn't see it coming out this year.

Condottiere
16-06-2009, 23:00
Is it meant to be a summer surprise? Not enough groundwork for a major release.

Lord Malorne
16-06-2009, 23:21
Or maybe, fantasy is just not making enough money and will continue to be neglected :cries:.

Max_Killfactor
17-06-2009, 02:50
Or maybe, fantasy is just not making enough money and will continue to be neglected :cries:.

That's my second guess. :(

I'm still hoping for a nice suprise though. The long break in fantasy releases leaves room for one.

Shimmergloom
17-06-2009, 04:25
Does the giant break in Fantasy army releases seem odd to anyone else?

No. It's par for the course this edition.

It started with Dwarfs in December 2005, then no release till 7th edition in sept 05' and then Greenskins in Oct. 06'.

After that Empire was just 2 months later when their army box was out by Dec. 06'. But High Elves did not come out till November 07'.

Long gaps in releases for fantasy is the norm now as this is the 3rd long gap in 3+ years.

TheSil
17-06-2009, 08:06
...and after the High Elf gap we got a whole lot of army books in the following year

it is best to start realising that releases happen in waves... some years there is a lot, some years there is next to nothing

but here are my perfectly intellectual guesses for the upcoming fantasy:

release before skaven: a generic warhammer dragon
skaven will appear later this year
next year a whole lot of fantasy releases, possibly including
- a new edition
- a new army
- 2-3 army books of TK, Beasts maybe even Ogres (but the latter without much models). If a new edition is out also Orcs&Goblins are possible again.

Grimstonefire
17-06-2009, 11:00
I don't think there is any reason to connect models to armybooks in terms of releases. From what I understand the model side of things is much quicker than the rules side, so there are always things finished waiting for rules before being released.

If there is a big break it is because the rules side are working on something big, so they cannot devote their time to the usual updates.

@TheSil

I agree with all your list except dragon (unless it is part of an apocalypse set). O&G are always a contender for a new edition box, but won't see an updated army list for years.

SkawtheFalconer
17-06-2009, 15:52
I suspect the lull is just that. Nothing more exciting or political than that.

I also vaguely remember someone (Harry?) claiming this would be a fairly slow year for Fantasy, but that next year would be very exciting.

Zoolander
17-06-2009, 19:06
Ohhh. A pure speculation thread! My favourite. My guess is for warhammer apocalypse combined with a mini summer campaign.

LOL. Yes I am thinking a summer campaign release is likely.

The return of nagash!

And this could be it! A campaign based around the return of the most powerful necromancer seems like a good pick, but who knows?

The reason for the delay between releases is smart marketing. Why would they release all the books at once when they can spread them out over 6 months to a year and get you all thirsty for the next one?

TheSil
17-06-2009, 19:21
@TheSil

I agree with all your list except dragon (unless it is part of an apocalypse set). O&G are always a contender for a new edition box, but won't see an updated army list for years.

why is there an entry called "Dragon" on the changed price list though?
does this refer to an old generic metal dragon?

I would have thought the only generic dragons they had would be collectors edition and collectors models were not part of the prize change sheet...

but who knows... I just combined that fact with the statement "expect to see some new fantasy monsters out there in the near future" that I think priestly made recently in a white dwarf

LonelyPath
17-06-2009, 21:42
I'd like to see the return of Nagash as well, prefarrably with the release of a new mini (and a much better sculpt than the old 4rd edition one).

Oh, and how about Gothic Lolita Bretonian Damsels? lol

Zoolander
17-06-2009, 21:48
I'd like to see the return of Nagash as well, prefarrably with the release of a new mini (and a much better sculpt than the old 4rd edition one).

So... you're saying you don't like Bozo the Everliving as your lichlord? It has a nice ring, you must admit.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-06-2009, 05:55
I don't think there is any reason to connect models to armybooks in terms of releases. From what I understand the model side of things is much quicker than the rules side, so there are always things finished waiting for rules before being released.

I thought it was the other way around. Models can be years in the pipeline, but by comparison it doesn't take that long to produce an army book.

The army books could be released a lot quicker, if they wasn't to wait for a release of new models as well.

Lord Dan
18-06-2009, 06:00
I think it'd be cool if they released cavalry for every army in those $25 5-man boxes. That would be a good summer for me.

Condottiere
18-06-2009, 07:55

Oh, and how about Gothic Lolita Bretonian Damsels? lolWrong era - they tend to be Victorian.

Grimstonefire
18-06-2009, 14:19
I thought it was the other way around. Models can be years in the pipeline, but by comparison it doesn't take that long to produce an army book.

The army books could be released a lot quicker, if they wasn't to wait for a release of new models as well.

When I get home I will have a quick look in WD. The standard bearer where Jervis describes their new approach to releases I think he dips into how much faster the model side is than it used to be.

I think the lag time in models in the pipeline is in terms of them actually being released, not when they are made. So hopefully there are some Chaos Dwarf and cathayan concept models lying around somewhere.

Nuada
18-06-2009, 14:53

Yes there's some models that they make years and years before they are released. That new model that's a gift for games day '09 was made in '06, they converted it a little bit, but not much. There's some releases coming up that my friend painted in '05, i never thought some of those figures would come out.

I think they sometimes do quick fillers for the books. To pad them out, and make sure they have "X" amount for each book.

Necromancer2
18-06-2009, 17:50
No new army this year... the new rumored army will be years away.

There will not be another Fantasy book out until Skaven. We Might see a model release.

Lord Dan
18-06-2009, 18:40
No new army this year... the new rumored army will be years away.

I also heard it will be next month, later this year, next year sometime, never ever, and in 20th edition. The problem is everyone is throwing around what they "know" and no one can give us any sources.

So to be safe I'm going to just keep saying: "Next month" every month until something happens.

LonelyPath
18-06-2009, 23:44
Wrong era - they tend to be Victorian.

I know, I just thought it'd be funny after a japanese friend of mine mentioned seeing some EGL Sisters of Battle last week. Lolita isn't just Victorian either, I've seen some based on Elizabethan which was quite effective :)

silashand
19-06-2009, 01:38
or they're currently working on something major that we have no idea of yet (like the rumoured new army).

I vote for the Sky Titan army with the Celestial Monks as allies ;)...

Either that or a Dwarf Steam Titan :D

Cheers, Gary

Duke Georgal
19-06-2009, 02:15
I have heard that the Skaven releases might be notched back a bit. Skaven is not one of the most popular armies, and before the molds get cut (supposedly all the CAD is done), they need to determine if costs can be recouped.

If this is true, there might be disappointment among the skaven players over the lack of new models to accompany the book.

As far as something new or special in between, I don't think so. Not for Fantasy at least.

Harry
19-06-2009, 03:43
No. Quiet year for fantasy this year. Big year for fantasy next year.

I also heard it will be next month, later this year, next year sometime, never ever, and in 20th edition. The problem is everyone is throwing around what they "know" and no one can give us any sources.

So to be safe I'm going to just keep saying: "Next month" every month until something happens.
LOL well it's not next month. :D

I have heard that the Skaven releases might be notched back a bit. Skaven is not one of the most popular armies, and before the molds get cut (supposedly all the CAD is done), they need to determine if costs can be recouped.

If this is true, there might be disappointment among the skaven players over the lack of new models to accompany the book.

As far as something new or special in between, I don't think so. Not for Fantasy at least.
Everyone seems to be forgetting the significant Empire release we have already seen between these two armies. But there is still more to come before the Skaven release.

Erie Ed
19-06-2009, 12:32
Maybe they're putting effort into the army books.

lol i c wut u did thur