PDA

View Full Version : CMDante's Blood Bowl Log

CMDante
16-06-2009, 21:53
Recently I've been taken with the idea of getting back into gaming at a small level and Blood Bowl presented the perfect opportunity to merge my passion for modelling with my long terms love of American Football.

Previously I had always been put off of Blood Bowl by the poor models, however, the new special character sculpts (Griff and Zug) have changed that and inspired me to create my own human team in a similar style.

The first model on the desk for this project is the new mighty Zug himself:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1458.jpg

As you can see I couldn't resist doing a little GS work on him - mainly to cover difficult to remove mould lines. I don't like mini's without proper eyes, they seem to lack a bit of visiual interest and focal point without them, therefore I decided to alter the eyes to make one which I could actually properly paint in. The other will be empty as if lost in the incident which resulted in the scar.

More on this project soon.

Cheers,

Dante

richy376
18-06-2009, 10:11
I'm really excited to see where you go with this - based on your previous stuff this should be a great project. Have you decided if you're painting them in a 'traditional' scheme or something off the cuff?

sheep
18-06-2009, 10:45
FINISH SOMETHING!

;)

Lovely model, glad to see the awesome game of blood bowl has tempted you back to the gaming fold.

Look forward to seeing what you do for the rest of the team.

cheers

Sheep

CMDante
18-06-2009, 18:01
@ richy - Cheers mate, I've been drawing inspiration from your own Blood Bowl log, those DE are stunning and influenced my purchase of the corsairs plastics last weekend!

As for colour scheme, I'm going traditional Reikland Reavers.

@ sheep - Lol, I've been hearing that a lot lately! What can I say, when a strong idea takes me I just have to do it! The reason for doing the Zug mini in particular is because I don't plan on converting it and that it should be fun to paint (lots of large areas and bags of character).

Don't worry though, the Magus will be finished soon enough! :D

Incidentally, does anyone have any information (official GW fluff would be preferable) on Mighty Zug and the Reikland Reavers' backgrounds?

Cheers,

Dante

Aflo
18-06-2009, 18:34
Looking forward to this; like Rich said, should be cracking considering the quality you put out :D

BoyMilla
18-06-2009, 20:51
Lovely work on the re-sculpt! Does give the model more character.

Which human team models will you be using? The newest?

Looking forward to progress on this one!

BM

CMDante
18-06-2009, 21:13
The only human team models I'll be using are the new Mighty Zug and Griff Oberwald. The rest of the team will be converted and sculpted.

Need to work out my team before I really get started on them but it's a safe assumption that there will be at least 1 blitzer, 1 thrower, 1 catcher and 1 lineman so I'll probably do a test fig for each. First though, I'll be starting on painting Zug this weekend.

Cheers,

Dante

richy376
18-06-2009, 21:17
Glad to have been of help! :D

A Reavers team sounds really cool, I guess it fits easiest with Zug and Griff too. There is a bit of background floating around on the team I could point you to. I hope links are ok?

There is a fair bit of background in the rulebook you can download from the GW site including profiles for Griff and Zug and a page or so on the team:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310002_BB_Complete_Blood_Bowl_Rulebook.pdf

There is also an older version of the team colours at http://bloodbowl.org/index2.htm

and some painted examples at http://bloodbowl.org/index2.htm

Hope some of that helps, and hope it doesn't look as though I'm hi-jacking your log!

Monsterzonk
19-06-2009, 11:15
Hey there!

I must admit I've never been a great fan of Blood Bowl, even though I must admit that the recently released Star Player models look fantastic. I'm really looking forward to whatever you'll come up with! Your GS work is superbly smooth and detailed as usual, so keep 'em coming!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

CMDante
19-06-2009, 19:29
@ Richy - Cheers mate, don't worry at all about that being thread hi-jacking, I don't think it was and the links are much appreciated!

@ Monsterzonk - Thanks buddy, I've tried to keep the GS to a minimum on the two characters as they are just such great mini's. Amazed I haven't seen more about actually!

Cheers,

Dante

Monsterzonk
20-06-2009, 14:36
@ Monsterzonk - Thanks buddy, I've tried to keep the GS to a minimum on the two characters as they are just such great mini's. Amazed I haven't seen more about actually!

You're welcome! And that last remark sounds suspiciously like a challenge... ;) Maybe I'll have to get Zug for myself. We'll see...

Cheers,

CMDante
20-06-2009, 15:14
@ Monsterzonk - By all means I'd encourage you to get them both, the 2 best metal mini's I've seen in ages.

Well I primed Zug this morning - skull white GW primer.

I really should stop using this useless ****. As with the last time I used it, on my Rouge Trader, it crazed as it dried leaving a rough and gritty finish.

So, grabbing my milliput super fine and tools, I've spent a few hours going over the entire mini and filling and smoothing every rough surface. In a way it helped because I also fixed a lot of tiny little rough areas of the actual cast too. Therefore, I now have a perfectly smooth, white, Mighty Zug awaiting paint.

Might do a little on him this evening once everything has fully dried.

Cheers,

Dante

Harry
20-06-2009, 17:48
Some of the original fluff:

Conference : AFC
Division : Central
Team Colours : Blue and Yellow
Symbol : Skull and Blade
Owner : JJ Griswell jr.
Head coach : Helmut Zwimmer
Home stadium : The Altdorf Oldbowl (Surface : astrogranite)

The Reavers were formed almost a century ago, in 2389, when a vacant franchise came up in what was the oldlands conference. known during their first few years as the Altdorf Acolytes, the team quickly established a reputation for great skill and ability, as owner DD Griswell Snr poached and bought up the best players throughout the western lands! This policy of marrying awesome buying power with the best money can buy has seen the Reavers in good stead throughout their long life. Today, under DD's great grandson JJ Griswell jr. the Reavers are probably the finest all round team in the AFC.

2468 : JJ Griswell Jr becomes owner. Head coach Helmut Zwimmer arrives soon after.

2485 : Reavers thrash the Darkside cowboys to win bloodbowl 24
The legendary Zug sets up his still unbeaten ‘most opponents bitten in one match’ record.

2487 : Griff Oberwald replaces Orlak Strundrang as team captain.
The team go from strength to strength winning their forth Bloodbowl.

Hope this helps. I'll dig up more if I can.

CMDante
20-06-2009, 17:53
Cheers mate. Is there a character profile about for Zug? I've seen the one for Griff but couldn't spot anything for the big lad.

Cheers,

Dante

Monsterzonk
20-06-2009, 18:03
The only rules for Zug that I found are printed on the back of the BB rulebook, which you can download here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat1290025&categoryId=1100014&aId=4800003). The Reikland Reavers are covered on page 47, but Harry already posted most of their background...

Mighty Zug, Human, Cost: 230,000; MA 4; ST 5; AG 2; AV 9
Skills Loner, Block, Mighty Blow

Cheers,

Harry
20-06-2009, 18:54
Mighty Zug:

Under an ancient charter, each year Riekland Reavers ar beholden to take on a young orphan from Altdorfs schools as an apprentice. this practice has often paid off, as most of the young foundlings have grown up to be real tough cookies who'd bite an orc's leg off as soonas tackle him. However when in 2468 a hulking great, useless, whimpering lump known only as Zug arrived as that years selection, the Reavers suspected they had been sold a dummy. He was huge over wieght and unfit. Ugly, brutish and apparently very stupid. Asa result, he was also very unhappy and made loife a living hell for the other apprentices. with his uncooperative behaviour.....

.... Zug played his first game for the Reavers first team in the autumn of 2476 and suceeded in making his presence felt by severely injuring eight Middenhiem players in the first half. Over the years, he has become a firm favorite with the fans, for he can be a most exhilarating player to watch. Sure he doesn't do all the fancy stuff - he rarely breaks into a walk, for example, but he's an expert at incapacitating an opponent with a simple backhand swipe of one of his great paws. One interesting result of this technique is that he has the largest collection of Orc teeth in the Empire.

Hieght : 7ft 2in
Wieght : 325lbs
Position : Anywhere he likes
Career totals : 5 touch downs 266 Kills/serious injuries
Awards : 33 Most Vlauable player.... ..... Blood bowl winners medals 2479, 2485, 2487. Bloodbowl players medal 2483
Star Player rating : 374

CMDante
20-06-2009, 19:03
Harry - Your a star mate! Cheers!

Dante

Harry
20-06-2009, 19:14
No probs. How much trouble was it? Hope it helps. As always look forward to the painting.

CMDante
21-06-2009, 13:58
http://img.neoseeker.com/ca/blood_bowl_conceptart_QFLix.jpg
http://bree.around.the.corner.googlepages.com/artwork_01.jpg

Posting these here as much for my own benefit as for anyone else. They are both artwork from the new Blood Bowl computer game and will be used as inspiration for the rest of the team.

Cheers,

Dante

doghouse
21-06-2009, 16:59
The new consol game looks fantastic and it'll definately push me over the edge into getting back into the board game. I love blood bowl.
Keep it up mate, I'm looking forward to seeing the team develop. ;)

nigsylbd
21-06-2009, 17:37
nice to see a blood bowl log and the artwork for the computer game looks ace! Got to love the cheesy grins

CMDante
21-06-2009, 19:15
Quick shot of some early progress:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1461.jpg

Still earliest stages, all I've done so far is some early toning and shading and tested the eye to make sure the sculpt work looked ok.

Pleased with how it's turning out so far. Painting over a white undercoat is far more fun than over black!

More soon.

Cheers,

Dante

Monsterzonk
21-06-2009, 19:18
He's looking great so far! The face is superb already. Looking forward to seeing more...

Cheers,

sheep
22-06-2009, 02:26
hes got a big pouty lip lol

Looking good though mate, the skin is coming along fantasticly.

Cheers

Sheep

Dark Apostle
22-06-2009, 06:21
great skin tones! Seems to be a cool sculpt, great facial expression.

Gargobot
22-06-2009, 11:00
Man I wish my skin would look like yours does while still wip. Fantastic!

doghouse
22-06-2009, 17:32
Mate that is looking gorgeous! I love the skin tones and you've really done the model justice. Definately watching this one develop with keen interest!

CMDante
22-06-2009, 17:56
Thanks for the kind words already guys, really enjoying painting again as its been a couple of months since I last put any on a figure.

It really is a fantastic sculpt and nicely cast for a single piece. Under the arms, particularly the left arm was a little messy and the left side of the left elbow but otherwise, a really nice figure.

Playing about with a new technique for painting and some new colours for doing skin so it all adds to the fun too!

More soon though I'm feeling a bit rough today, early rises and long commutes taking their toll!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
28-06-2009, 22:08
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1465.jpg

Quick progress shot next to 40k AoBR ork for scale (since someone asked in another thread).

Still loads to do but I've been struggling with hobby motivation lately.

Cheers,

Dante

Clone-Trooper
29-06-2009, 02:33
WOW, that guy is small. Thanks for posting, i was going to get him for an ogryn conversion ): ... I see, well more updates please (: !

CMDante
02-07-2009, 21:18
Forgot to add this before but since I've done a bit more work on him here is a quick update pic:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/2/41055_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/41055-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.html)

Sorry for the bad lighting and somewhat grainy photo. My previous efforts with the lamps were turning out too bright and washing out the contrast in the blends on the face and skin so far.

This pic also shows the work on the chain a bit better. At the moment the face is about 70% there, still needs the brightest highlights added and some tidy on blends here and there.

More in the coming days.

Cheers,

Dante

kiwichild
04-07-2009, 04:29
You've done a great job with painting the stubble on his head. I've never played blood bowl but it seems like a nifty little game. Zug is definately a GW figure though, mind you he's the first figure that has combined spandex with the classic constipation pose.:D It's a good thing your painting detracts from that......would it be possible to put 'something' on the base. If I ever get into BB I'll definately buy Zug and convert him into a nurgle team member.:evilgrin:
Keep up the great work and don't forget your genestealer hybrids.

richy376
04-07-2009, 16:56
Looks like he's coming along great so far. The face is very expressive, and your sculpting really is something - I wouldn't be able to tell you'd amended the face if you hadn't shown a picture of it earlier. I didn't realise it was a one piece model, or that it was quite that small. Would it fit on a regular base?

Xarius
04-07-2009, 23:31
looks cool

CMDante
05-07-2009, 10:43
Probably wouldn't fit on a regular base mate, the stance is too wide so most of his feet would be off either side.

Grumbledook
05-07-2009, 12:32
would probably be ok on a 30mm round base from impact miniatures though

1 for 15 bases is dirt cheap as well

http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=basing_profile&id=SP_PB30

CMDante
07-07-2009, 20:50
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/7/41897_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/41897-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.html)

A little progress update. With the nice weather lately I didn't get as much done as I'd have liked at the weekend but should get more done this week.

The shirt has been done to about 70%, just needs little tidying in the blends in areas and a couple more highlights. The face is also pretty much done now. I went back and added some white reflections on the pupils. The top of the left arm has had some work to blend the flesh tones and highlights too.

More soon.

Cheers,

Dante

khabal
07-07-2009, 21:19
You may want to check the PC BloodBowl game if you're having trouble with hobby inspiration recently... gave me a kick to resume work on some teams I had left on hold for a while :)
The face on your Mighty Zugg model is stunning! Great job!
Are you planning on painting a whole human team with that color scheme or is Zugg a one-off?

CMDante
08-07-2009, 18:47
Cheers mate. Yep the new artwork for the Blood Bowl computer game has already provided inspiration in buckets!

The whole team will have that scheme (Reikland Reavers).

Cheers,

Dante

Monsterzonk
08-07-2009, 20:14
Sorry, I didn't have much time to comment on your work lately... Zug's coming along nicely. The face is just perfect! You really manage to bring out his character through your painting. Great job!

Cheers,

Vinsanity
09-07-2009, 08:53
Great looking Zug so far, looking forward to more!

richy376
09-07-2009, 21:55
Ah, ok. Good to know, ta.

The face looks awesome. Its pretty impressive to get a relflection on the pupil, I'm normally happy if I manage to paint eyes in the sockets rather than on the model's cheek! The stubble on the head looks subtle too - can I ask how you did that?

CMDante
10-07-2009, 18:50
Cheers guys.

@Richy - Sure, the stubble was done using a mix of tallarn flesh, dheneb stone and a little astronomicon grey (I use a wet palette so all the colours are very thin to begin with). Thin the paint until it's about just slightly more watery than milk consistency, dab the edges of the brush gently against your cloth or tissue/kitchen towel to soak up most of the moisture and make the paint easier to control and then simply apply. I built the stubble up in 2-3 coats so that the edges of the hairline were thinner. Highlighting was then added to the top of the head by adding a tiny amount of white to the mix.

Sounds a lot but using a wet palette it is done quite quickly.

More soon.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
12-07-2009, 22:36
A little progress on the big guy this weekend. I know it doesn't look like much but I'm putting a lot of effort in to get him looking just how I picture in my head, which sadly means a lot of experimentation and "re-do's".

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/12/42362_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress%2C%2 0Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/42362-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress%2C%2 0Zug.html)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/12/42363_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress%2C%2 0Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/42363-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress%2C%2 0Zug.html)

Some of the blends on the white of the shoulder pad are still a little messy but these will get tidied up next session. I had a go with the masking liquid on some of the bigger scratches etc and it is a great effect. Think I need more practice with it though.

Really pleased with how the belts turned out. I added some little nicks and scratches to them because they looked quite bland without a little detail. The belt around the waste is pretty much finished at the back but I haven't done the ends of it at the sides on the front (if that makes sense?!) since there are a few other areas close to them that need a lot of work and I don't want to have to go back and touch up the whole section.

In the back view you can see that the shirt isn't finished yet on the back, still needs some more highlighting near the top etc.

You can also see some more of the block shading I've done on the skin of the arms. Still very early days here but might give a bit more of a clue to the process I'm working in.

All in all, a good little stint of progress this weekend. I have 2 weeks off coming up soon so I hope to really blast through converting members of the team and finishing Zug off.

More soon.

Cheers,

Dante

Shadowphrakt
12-07-2009, 22:39
berladdy hell a realistic looking GW figure!

Nicely painted CMDante, infact, brilliant work. Really realistic.

CMDante
13-07-2009, 22:04
Thanks mate. I find some colours are more easily done in a realistic style than others, though the mix seems to work together on occassion. The blue shirt for instance is a lot brighter an more "fantasy" in tone than other areas such as the skin but its a nice contrast and quite striking I find.

Hope to get more done on him and his base this week.

Cheers,

Dante

Mega Nutz
14-07-2009, 16:22
Coming along really nicely! Can't wait to see it finished.....

richy376
15-07-2009, 18:40
Thanks mate, will try that sometime. Zug's coming on really well now. I don't know about rough blends on the white, it looks beautiful to me - like it was a lovely pristine white on his debut, but he's played a few games since then! Quick question though - what's masking fluid?

Keep going on him, really is awesome so far.

CMDante
15-07-2009, 19:34
Cheers mate.

Masking fluid (Liquid Mask) is a product made by Vallejo. It comes in their typical dropper bottles and is a sort of bleached bone type colour. It's basically liquid latex that can be applied to mini's over a first layer (metals for example). Paint can then be built up over the masked area and then the mask can be removed by gently rubbing with a cloth or eraser leaving a realistic chipped paint effect.

I got mine from here:http://www.creativemodels.net/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/42/products_id/7276

Cheers,

Dante

Catferret
15-07-2009, 22:07
Copydex adhesive is a decent alternative for masking areas. It's available in pretty much any post office or stationers.

CMDante
16-07-2009, 18:30
I'm not sure I would use a glue, given that it will be more difficult to remove from the mini when you come to it (due to its stickyness). I imagine it would also be likely to remove thin layers of paint with it when you remove it?

Cheers,

Dante

Catferret
16-07-2009, 22:53
Copydex can be rubbed off easily as it's a latex based adhesive. It's basically the same as masking agents. I never had any trouble with it but maybe test it on a spare model before using it on something important. ;)

CMDante
18-07-2009, 21:03
Isn't it more tacky though and harder to remove it all easily due to its "gluey" nature? I can only remember it being horrible stuff to use in my primary school days though.

Anyway, some more progress today:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/18/43306_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/43306-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.html)

And a super close up to show some of the blends that get a bit lost in the pics:
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/18/43308_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/43308-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Cmdant e%2C%20Mighty%20Zug%2C%20Zug.html)

The dark blue armour areas aren't finished yet, still need final highlights up to white etc but that will get done once the trousers are done so I don't have to go back and do too many touch ups should I make any mistakes.

Really pleased with how he's coming together now though and looking forward to the rest of the team.

One question for you all though. Any ideas on how to make Blood Bowl bases a bit more interesting? At the moment his base is finished, just some grey pumice, a little clump foliage, a half burried skull and static grass but it just seems a little plain for such a big base. Obviously the Blood Bowl setting constricts things a bit but any ideas are welcome.

Cheers,

Dante

Monsterzonk
18-07-2009, 21:35
Very nice! I really like how this is developing! The skin is just awesome, and I must say I like the leather straps and the blueish green armour. The gold looks good aswell!

Cheers,

CMDante
19-07-2009, 13:50
Cheers mate, the turquoise/black mix is a lot of fun to paint and blend. The gold still needs a little more highlighting/shading but pleased with it so far since my metallics suck.

Cheers,

Dante

Catferret
19-07-2009, 13:53
I wouldn't say the metallics suck. They look solid and non-streaky. Can't really ask for much more than that.

richy376
19-07-2009, 18:10
The black looks good, a hard colour to paint highlights on I think and yours looks good.

Random idea, but isn't there a lying down orc in the empire archers set? I haven't seen the kit, so this may not work at all, but if so you could have him on the base as Zug's downed opposite number?

BoyMilla
21-07-2009, 05:24
Zug's looking amazing! Everything is so life like, from the skin tone to the subtle highlights on the clothing! Awesome!

This team is going to be a work of art!

BM

TwoKingMick
22-07-2009, 19:40
How does one achieve that colour on the armour? Understanding the make up of colours has always given me problems.

CMDante
22-07-2009, 22:04
The turquoise/black armour was achieved using various mixes of hawk turquoise and chaos black.

I started by applying a mid-tone mix over a white undercoat to get an idea for highlights, then I simply created darker mixes for the shades by adding more black and lighter mixes for the highlights by adding more turquoise. For the final highlights I added white to hawk turquoise in a few different mixes.

It really is quite a simple job and a joy to paint as the colour has great coverage. The key is keeping the highlights and shades very thin (almost translucent) to build the tones up.

More progress pics soon.

Cheers,

Dante

Ghod
23-07-2009, 11:53
Another outstanding figure from CMDante, the face inparticular is looking amazing.

A Couple of questions:

How big is he compared to a normal human model...
& would he fit on a 25mm square base??

I hope so because I'd love to use the sculpt for Mordheim.

CMDante
23-07-2009, 13:35
He's about the same height as most human figures, but then again he his in a wide stanced crouch.

I very much doubt he would even get close to fitting on a standard 25mm base. At best only the edges of his heels would be on. He fills most of the width on a 40mm round base with about 3-5mm to spare between base edge and toe.

Put him on an ogre base and he'd fit fine for mordheim though, guess it depends on what you want to use him as?

Cheers,

Dante

Ghod
23-07-2009, 14:49
I thought the wide leg stance would be a problem...

I was either going to use him as a basis for a pit fighter or as a reiklander champion

Wouldnt really want either on an ogre base tbh... Oh well

CMDante
23-07-2009, 19:48
Finished at last!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/23/44115_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/44115-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.html)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/23/44119_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/44119-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.html)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/23/44117_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/44117-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.html)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/23/44118_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/44118-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.html)

CMDante
23-07-2009, 19:49
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/23/44116_sm-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.JPG (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/44116-Blood%20Bowl%2C%20Blood%20Bowl%20Human%2C%20Mighty %20Zug%2C%20Reikland%20Reavers%2C%20Zug.html)

Really fun model to paint and pretty pleased with how he has turned out. In particular I am pleased with the boots, knee pads and skin and hair on the arms. The pics aren't the greatest as a lot of transitions get lost and the shine doesn't help but you can get the general idea. :D

The base is nothing amazing but it does the job... for now at least.

Next up is Griff Oberwald.

Cheers,

Dante

TwoKingMick
23-07-2009, 22:11
Looks great, the boots are fantastic. What colour would you call that? Mud? I'm working on Griff myself so I can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Give us more new BloodBowl star players please GW.

Catferret
23-07-2009, 23:56
Nice work CMD. The arms really look hairy.

Reckon the base needs some white lines though. ;)

richy376
24-07-2009, 19:21
Wow. That looks fantastic. All the little chips and dinks you've painted on make it come to life. And the face is superb, you've really got the character of the figure in there. Can't wait to see Griff. And then the rest of the team!

Dark Apostle
24-07-2009, 21:42
Very nice! His face is very good, I like the stubble on his head, and the hair on his arms. Looking forward to see what you'll do with Oberwald.

BoyMilla
25-07-2009, 18:19
"Zug! Zug! Zug! Zug! Zug! and the crowd goes wild!"

Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more!

BM

Deusmex
25-07-2009, 20:39
The only fault I can see is that he should be wearing Green and white hooped vest. Then it would be perfect.

Really nice skin tones and hair effects, love the bling too.

CMDante
26-07-2009, 16:35
Given that I am a glorious Glasgow Rangers fan, green and white hoops are strictly forbidden!;)

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been away for the weekend but am off work next week so hope to get cracking on Griff tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
26-07-2009, 18:46
Looks great, the boots are fantastic. What colour would you call that? Mud? I'm working on Griff myself so I can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Give us more new BloodBowl star players please GW.

Cheers mate.

The colour is a mix of vallejo dark grey (astronomicon grey is a close GW match) and scorched brown. For highlights add dheneb stone and then white to the mix. For shades add a little black.

Cheers,

Dante

DeathCat147
26-07-2009, 18:48
He looks ******** great CMDante, cant wait for Griff!!.

CMDante
27-07-2009, 20:13
Dug out a Blood Bowl ogre I had bought a while back today and decided to start tidying him up so I can use him in the team too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1492.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1493.jpg

I remember why I disliked the figure before - the arms, so decided to do some pinning for a little repositioning.

The original set of arms are the ones where he's punching himself in the jaw and one arm hugging air, not very appropriate hence the new pose.

The head is just a stand in though I do quite like it. I am considering doing 2 heads, the one that came with the mini originally, and a converted version of the mock up head, sans moustache.

Also cleaned Griff up today so he should be ready for priming tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dante

rob_alderman
27-07-2009, 21:30
That looks cool.
Zug looks awesome and mighty for sure.

I look forward to seeing the ogre. Somehow, I like the tash. Even though I hate the eastern feel of the Ogre Kingdoms. I much prefer the Golfag's style ogres...

richy376
27-07-2009, 21:38
Does look cool. The reposition is a good idea, he looks better already. I quite like the heads the BB ogres come with, though maybe a converted head would make it more your take on it? Either way, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

CMDante
27-07-2009, 22:56
Cheers guys.

@ Rob - Yeah not a fan of the eastern look either, the moustaches just look too fake.

@ richy - Cheers mate. Yeah the head that came with isn't bad, I'm doing a little sculpting on it to add a chin and fix the back of the helmet as well as adding detail since at the moment, the bottom of the jaw is just a flat messy surface as is the back of the head due to the way its cast.

I think I'll do two heads up and then decide which I like best, though I would like him to be original.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
28-07-2009, 16:26
Still waiting on the primer I ordered showing up so got some more sculpting done today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1495.jpg

Decided to have a crack at sculpting the Reikland Reavers eagle logo while I had the putty out today since the back plate was just crying out for something.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1496.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1497.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1498.jpg

And the two options for heads. Personally I prefer the way the plastic head looks on him at the moment, much more aggressive and just brings a bit more dynamic to the figure.

Still work to do on both but pleased with how he is progressing.

Once the GS has set I'll get a properly mocked up pic later.

Cheers,

Dante

MindTheGap
28-07-2009, 18:52
Woah! Exceptional, CM, truely exceptional! Can't wait to see which way you decide to take the ogre - I have to agree with the plastic head - lots more visual aggression :)

CMDante
28-07-2009, 19:06
As promised, todays fully mocked up pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1499.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1500.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1501.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1502.jpg

I quite like how the new head and arm position have turned out. Still need to add some more to the left shoulder and fill the join gaps a little more in both arms. Also need to attach the head and fill the gaps around the neck and figure out how I'm going to attach the shoulderpads (pinned or not).

More tomorrow!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
29-07-2009, 17:10
After speaking with a friend, he made the great suggestion of bringing a little humour back into the model, afterall, Blood Bowl is renowned for its humour.

After pondering this for a bit, I planned originally to add a small mouse on his shoulder, a bit like in the movie Green Mile, where the massive Michael Clarke Duncan has a pet mouse. I liked the idea of a small pet accompanying the beast at all times and it also fit with the new GW ogre trend of a pet (gnoblar) accompanying it's master everywhere.

A root around in my bits box turned up some small rat figures but nothing that really fit with what I was aiming for. Finally, I came across the empire powder monkey from the handgunners sprue while looking for some inspiration, immediately it struck me that this was the pet of choice! It fit perfectly as a gnoblar-esque companion and also adds plenty of humour.

A quick bit of converting to remove the keg arm (replaced with a gnoblar arm) and one of the tails and he was good to go!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1503.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1504.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1505.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1506.jpg

I really like the posing of the little critter, it seems to fit so well, almost as if he is swinging his fists, encouraging his larger companion to do the same!

Now he is pretty much ready for paint!

Thoughts on the new addition?

Cheers,

Dante

TwoKingMick
29-07-2009, 17:14
Theres something a little distracting about the monkey's head being directly above the ogre's head. Could you move him a little to the right? Maybe it's just me.

Khorghan
29-07-2009, 17:24
Monkey is a great touch! I dont think its distracting really.

The Wildchild
29-07-2009, 17:32
No distracting to me either...adds a nice visual theme to the model...the monkey mimics the master!

CMDante
29-07-2009, 19:41
Cheers guys, glad what I'm aiming for with him is coming across clearly.

@TwoKingMick - I wanted him to be behind the head as if he is helping guide the ogre around, watching out for any incoming attacks, the ball etc. Besides, there isn't really room for him to either side without having him standing on a shoulder pad. Besides unbalancing the look, this would also require significant reworking of his feet to get the posing right.

I think once it is painted, the monkey will be less distracting from the ogres head. The skin tones on the ogre will be quite light, while the monkey will be quite dark. If anything it will help to draw more focus to the head of the ogre.

Cheers,

Dante

Deff Dread red Edition
29-07-2009, 20:01
So will the monkey be painted in reaver's colours?

Stunning work thus far keep it coming.

CMDante
29-07-2009, 20:04
Yeah, he will fit with the colours of the team :D.

Cheers,

Dante

Killshot
29-07-2009, 22:54
That eagle head on his back is top notch!

Azroth
30-07-2009, 07:06
That little monkey really is a great idea, and it brings so much character to the model. It is not distracting in any way. I think I'll probably have to loot that one.

CMDante
30-07-2009, 13:23
Bought some armatures the other day from Hasslefree Miniatures (28mm), turns out 28mm is a little smaller than I was expecting for scale but I guess once you cover them in GS they will come up to GW type scale (probably heroic 30mm) quite quickly:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1509.jpg

Cheers,

Dante

richy376
30-07-2009, 19:58
The monkey is genius - he's clearly in charge. The head looks good too after your alterations, it seems to fit better with the tache off somehow.

Zug really is brutal. That daemonette next to him isn't bad either mind! Alternate Amazon team? :D

CMDante
31-07-2009, 09:11
Cheers mate.

Lol, nope just the one team on the go at the moment.:D

She was actually painted about May last year for a demon painting contest at GW Glasgow. Painted here in one evening after my attempts to paint the masque of slaanesh frustrated the hell out of me (honestly, such a crap fig). I think it's the quickest I've painted a figure in a long time.

She won the competition in the end, beating off a FW keeper of secrets among others. Was quite pleased :D.

Primed Griff and the big guy yesterday so hopefully get some painting done today.

More soon.

Cheers,

Dante

Kriegfreak
31-07-2009, 09:24
I envy your use of the green stuff my friend. Always a joy to stop by and check out one of your logs.

CMDante
31-07-2009, 19:53
Nothing to envy, it could be a heck of a lot better, I just need to keep on practicing with it. Something I plan to do in the coming weeks and months as I feel on the verge of another "modelling and painting quality advancement".

A little progress shot on Griff:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1511.jpg

A little more highlighting and shading needed to really bring it out but happy with how the face is turning out.

The eyes were a total pain to get right. The right eye (left in pic) actually had to have all the paint scraped off of it with a sculpting probe and scalpel I messed it up so many times!

Looking forward to cracking on with him tomorrow and defining some more detail to the features much like Darren's Griff.

I've also just put in some orders for some more sculpting equipment that I was running low on or never had (fimo, 1000 grit wet/dry, wire brush (for cleaning files etc) ) so expect more sculpting in the near future!

Cheers,

Dante

Dark Apostle
31-07-2009, 20:05
A little progress shot on Griff:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1511.jpg

Seems to be coming along nicely! Could we have a better shot at the sculpted eagle head please?

TwoKingMick
01-08-2009, 19:59
The eyes were a total pain to get right. The right eye (left in pic) actually had to have all the paint scraped off of it with a sculpting probe and scalpel I messed it up so many times!

I had exactly the same problem. I think the eye is set too far behind the eyelids, it's a nightmare to get at. I must get back to work on him now.

CMDante
01-08-2009, 22:49
I dunno, I think it was more due to my white paint drying out so quickly on my brush when its in small quantities.

I battled with it for quite some time before I managed to get the white to flow properly and under control. I pretty much finished the face today and hope to finish the rest of the head and a large part of the body tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dante

richy376
01-08-2009, 23:25
Seems like it was worth the effort, the eyes look spot on now.

I'll look forward to more sculpting from you - you were pretty good before you upgraded your kit! I have to say that I've found that even with the basic gap filling stuff I do I've found it's really helped to have a few different clay shapers. I know a bad workman blames his tools, but I reckon good tools make a good workman even better!

Sorry if that was a bit corny; to paraphrase - looking forward to seeing your progress!

CMDante
02-08-2009, 09:58
Absolutely agree with you about the tools mate. Recently what's been frustrating me is the amount of effort required to blend GS into other surfaces or already cured GS. Hence the reason for deciding to give Fimo a go.

I'll give a little review of the stuff I have purchased when it arrives next week if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Dante

Deff Dread red Edition
02-08-2009, 10:21
Looking good.I still want griff's base to have an ear or two scattered on it.

CMDante
07-08-2009, 23:01
I have sculpted a detached ear onto his base to satisfy your request!;)

I received a haul of goods this week and will be putting them to good use tomorrow.

Among the haul was a box of greatswords, W&N flow improver, fimo, 1000 grit wet/dry and a new palette. Good times!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
08-08-2009, 16:07
Ok, managed to make some progress on Griff today. Head and body are pretty much done, just some little bits and pieces like the toecaps, trousers, reflections still needing done/tidied up.

The metallics and reflections look better in full size pics if you zoom in. For some reason the pics kill some of the transition in the scaled down version but they look good IRL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1514.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1515.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1516.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1517.jpg

Really happy with how he is turning out. I have been experimenting some new techniques with the metallics and I think they are some of my best metals yet.

More soon.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
08-08-2009, 17:01
Also, my greatswords arrived this week so I set about mocking up a lineman for the team during a break from painting Griff. Unfortunately the figures wont work out of the box due to being much shorter than both Griff and Zug (understandably for Zug maybe but they really looked tiny compared to Griff). Hence the reason for cutting their legs and lengthening them at the knees.

This isn't too big a problem since I was going to be reposing some of the legs anyway. The gaps will also be filled nicely with kneepads, adding to the blood bowl look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1518.jpg

I also got some W&N acrylic flow improver this week. The value of this stuff really cannot be measured. It makes painting fine details such as eyes etc, where paint normally dries out to quickly on the brush due to being in such small amounts, so much easier and more enjoyable!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1519.jpg

Finally, a close up of Griffs face to show the detail a little better!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Griffface.jpg

I plan to do some more on him tonight and hopefully finish him tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dante

Catferret
08-08-2009, 17:18
Using greatswords for linemen? Must be the only way to make Bloodbowl models more expensive. ;)

Looks good so far though. Converted Bloodbowl teams are far more interesting than the metals.

Griff is looking nice so far too.

CMDante
08-08-2009, 18:59
Lol, true but since I don't really game, enjoy modelling and making unique figures, and have a well paying job, cost of parts isn't an issue and I am therefore willing to pay for the right parts.

Plus, I got them in Maelstrom Games' 17% offer so didn't take the full 25 hit!:D

I'm not really a fan of any of the metal blood bowl mini's with the exception of the 2 new characters. The ogres are ok but need some work to make look natural and some of the new humans are alright but seem to lack the "empire" element.

Cheers,

Dante

Azroth
08-08-2009, 21:18
I think the greatswords make for great linemen, at least from that model you've shown already. And I totally understand were you're coming from. I enjoy modelling much more than gaming as well, and making cool and inspiring conversions is what it's all about. If the cost was a problem, I would have quit this hobby a long time ago and started collecting rocks or something instead. So power to you.

The greatswords will have kneepads as you said. Will they get two shoulderpads as well, or just one as shown in the mock-up/prototype? Or will you vary it?

Cheers.

CMDante
08-08-2009, 21:30
Cheers mate.

I think I'll probably vary the shoulder pads and kit in general. Particular positions will be kitted out fairly contiuously so as to make them easier to identify, but at the same time, I like the idea of everyone having individual kit. It fits with the box art and also with the image of the empire in general.

Plus it makes the figures more interesting if each one is a mini character in his own right.

Cheers,

Dante

MF3000
09-08-2009, 07:41
Oh my god... I just re-visited this blog and... oh wow... beautiful stuff man...

Truly moving stuff yours. Always so good and the painting is just... emotive. I just want to explode at the sight of that Griff head.

The ogre with the monkey has an awesome composition as well. The whole model looks so ... bad ass. (oo can I swear on the boards...)

sj

Azroth
09-08-2009, 08:06
I agree. Individuality is cool, and even linemen can be unique characters. Just make sure not to vary it so much that identifying positions becomes a problem. But doing less and/or smaller shoulderplates, helmets and armour for catchers and throwers, and more for linemen and blitzers is a tried and tested method that works very well.

Will you use the greatswords kit as a base for all the players, or will you include some of the other empire infantry kits for the less armoured positions? I was also thinking that the empire general kit also could have some useful bits for blitzers.

Cheers.

CMDante
09-08-2009, 08:16
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

@ Azroth - I will use the kit as a base for both linemen, blitzers and parts of it for throwers and catchers. The linemen will be differentiated from the blitzers by being posed somewhat more statically.

Blitzers will get the full blitz look, spikes, winged helmets (similar to Griff) etc and dynamic running poses.

Catchers will have much less armour, specifically on their legs (no thigh plates), and be either bareheaded exclusively, or simple skull caps. Catching mits will also define them.

Throwers will have less shoulder armour, a ball in hand or throwing type pose(obviously) and a bit of the "superstar QB and his trusty backup" look.

Cheers,

Dante

Azroth
09-08-2009, 08:39
Sounds like you got a plan, and it seems like a good one.

If you want to have a little more armour on the throwers than on the catchers, you could always give them a (small-ish) shoulderpad on one shoulder only, obviously the one that's not used for throwing.

If everyone else gets helmets, I think skullcaps are a good idea for the catchers, better than no helmets at all. They won't look so out of place then, because they'll have more things similar, only that they're equipped lighter. Also, it will help keep the hair out of their eyes so they can see the ball better.

I do not understand what you mean by [a bit of the "superstar QB and his trusty backup" look], but I'm sure it will be good. :)

So when will me some more models? You're getting me all excited here.

Cheers.

CMDante
09-08-2009, 08:48
I hope to either finish Griff, or be very close to by the end of today. Then during the week I will be assembling 2 other team members, including the mocked up lineman. Once they are ready for paint, I will paint the ogre, then the linemen.

The order will then proceed as "model 2 men up, paint them".

Think this is the quickest I've worked on figures in ages!

Cheers,

Dante

Azroth
09-08-2009, 09:31
So there is at least one person in this world that's even slower than me. That's good to know.

Looking forward to seeing Griff finished, and I'm even more excited about the other guys. Convert them and post them up.

Cheers.

richy376
09-08-2009, 09:55
Griff looks terrific so far. I can see why you'd be pleased with the metals too. You seem to have found the lights and reflections and it's a nice deep colour.

That lineman is fantastic, even at this stage. I had a think about humans a while ago and couldn't come up with a plan, but the greatsword kit looks really promising. Slighty odd that they are out of scale with the metal stars, but you seem to have found a neat soultion to rectify it.

I think you are spot on in making each figure an individual. Not only as it's more interesting for the modeling and painting, but in a game like BB where all your players develop individually it makes perfect sense for them to look different.

I'm glad you're working quickly on these, as it means we'll be getting more updates from you!

CMDante
09-08-2009, 10:24
Here's a quick and dirty comparison between the lineman mock up and Griff. Remember Griff has a significant forward lean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1520.jpg

Up straight, he would probably look a little taller. Partly due to his helmet, but partly just because he would be. That doesn't bother me too much though since people in general have variation in height.

The details I'll add should bulk out the lineman's proportions to about equal.

Cheers,

Dante

The Wildchild
09-08-2009, 12:42
It has to be said Griff does have a pretty big lollypop head!

Fantastic blog! You painting style is just incredible! I'm a HUGE fan!

sparks
10-08-2009, 11:47
Hiya, long time lurker on this thread(I think anyway)! It's been great following the progress of your first 2 models. I have a couple of questions as I admire your painting style and am looking to improve my own. How do you do your flesh? I've seen your stubble tips but couldn't find one for the skin. And also, that gold is lovely. Is it worked up from Tin Bitz through Shining Gold/ Mithril Silver highlights?

Finally, I came across a bit in my bits box that might be useful. There's a dwarf shield boss from the last edition models that has a very similar shape/look to it, might save you some sculpting time? They might be a little on the large side as well for human sized figs, not sure as you're playing with the scale of yours anyway!

Look forward to the next update!

CMDante
10-08-2009, 18:50
Thanks for the kind words mate, glad you've finally been tempted out of lurking! ;)

I'll post my recipe for flesh and gold later on but on the dwarf shield bit, I had thought of using a filed down version on the display base I plan to make for the team eventually, so if anyone has 2-4 of them going, let me know and I'd be happy to trade for them.

Cheers,

Dante

Murfywat
11-08-2009, 02:58
thats coming along very nicely, keep it up

TwoKingMick
11-08-2009, 14:52
Remember, Griff is supposed to be huge anyway. 6'4 in the bloodbowl rulebook I think. But the model is really really tall. He's much bigger than my chaos space marine lord.

CMDante
11-08-2009, 18:15
True, I like the idea of him being a bit taller than the others anyway. Helps give him that "star player" quality.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
12-08-2009, 11:38
Hiya, long time lurker on this thread(I think anyway)! It's been great following the progress of your first 2 models. I have a couple of questions as I admire your painting style and am looking to improve my own. How do you do your flesh? I've seen your stubble tips but couldn't find one for the skin. And also, that gold is lovely. Is it worked up from Tin Bitz through Shining Gold/ Mithril Silver highlights?

The skin:

Over a white undercoat -

Tone:
- Thin (almost wash like) layer of Tallarn Flesh.
- Thin (almost wash like) layer of Vallejo Warlock Purple.

Shade:
- Mix of Tallarn Flesh (TF) and Warlock Purple(WP). Applied in various stages and layers. For deeper recesses add more WP plus a touch of dark grey.

Highlight:
- Mix of TF and Dheneb Stone (DS). More TF in earlier highlights building up to pure DS.
- Mix of DS and Skull White (SW) for highest highlights. Add more white until up to pure SW on most raised areas.

The gold:

Over a white undercoat-

Re-Undercoat:
- Mix of Scorched Brown(SB) and Black(B).

Base:
- P3 Shining Gold (SG). Applied in a couple of thin layers for a smooth, solid finish. I use flow improver to help the paint go on easier.
- Wash with Gryphone Sepia (GS)

Shade:
- Mix of SB and B. More B in the mix for the deeper recesses. Almost pure SB for the blends back out to gold.
- Super thin layer of SG over whole area (to return some of the metal flecks to the now more matt areas).

Highlight:
- Mix of SG and Mithril Silver (MS). More SG to begin with building to pure MS on highest edges etc.
- Pure Skull White (thinned) used to build up reflections and accentuate highest edges etc.

Hope that helps.

For the gold there was some experimentation where I was mixing in some matt varnish to get different effects for more shaded areas (the chest eagle) etc.

Keeping the paint very thin, while maintaining control by minimising the amount of moisture on the brush is key. The flow improver helps with this as it ensures the paint still runs off of the brush easily in small, thin amounts, while maintaining control.

Cheers,

Dante

sparks
12-08-2009, 15:02
Cheers for the in depth descriptions! I don't usually paint over a white undercoat, but will stash this away for safekeeping! I'm working on Orks at the moment,have a look in the Sci-fi logs, so won't get a chance to try them out for a while.

Are the following roughly equivalent?

1)GW Shining Gold v P3
2)Tallarn v. Tanned Flesh
3)Vallejo Warlock Purple v. GW Warlock Purple

And is the flow improver available in all good art shops?

Cheers, look forward to the next update!

CMDante
12-08-2009, 15:25
No problem mate, will take a look at your plog when I get home from work.

To answer your questions:

1. Probably close enough yes, I prefer the consistency and coverage of P3's gold though. Haven't used GW gold in a while mind so might be better now/

2. Not quite. Tallarn flesh is lighter and less saturated in colour than tanned. It's probably more of a tanned flesh mixed with a little light grey or bleached bone type colour.

3. Haven't directly compared but I'd have thought so. The exact shade of purple isn't too important, just as long as it's a dark, bluer type purple. Really the model is never going to have any actual, solid purple on it. It's just to darken the mix for the flesh shades while keeping a "fleshy" tone.

I got my flow improver from the online store Artifolk (Google should turn it up), but I'd expect most good art stores to stock it.

Hopefully have some pic updates later this evening. I've been working on the arms, complete with fancy detailing round the gloves and freehand work on the shoulder pads.

It's been a bit of a headache as my freehand work is terrible but its good practice!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
12-08-2009, 22:15
Quick and rough WIP on the arms:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/IMG_1523.jpg

Hope to have him finished in next few days.

Cheers,

Dante

DeathCat147
13-08-2009, 08:53
Love how Grif's turning out so far. The detailing on the glove is superb. What size brush do you use for the intricate details? Though im fully expecting you to say its just a standard citadel fine detail brush and make me even more jealous of your skill:cries::D.

CMDante
13-08-2009, 18:08
Cheers mate. The brush I used was a W&N series 7 000. Not so impressive now I suppose!:D

Cheers,

Dante

DeathCat147
13-08-2009, 21:15
Cheers mate. The brush I used was a W&N series 7 000. Not so impressive now I suppose!:D

Cheers,

Dante

Always impressed at your skill with the old brush my good man:D. Ive got a Tamiya 000 size brush which i love to bits, only problem that i have using it is the fact that my hands shake far too much for my liking:(.

CMDante
14-08-2009, 20:57
Finished Griff this evening:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1524.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1525.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1526.jpg

Sorry for the really poor pics. The lighting is terrible but I took them quickly before the batteries died. I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow.

I say finished, but really there are a few things I will probably go back and redo/fix at a later time once more of the team is done.

It's not a patch on razza's, but I feel, in certain areas, it's a step forward for me. It has highlighted my total inability to do even decent freehand work, so that's an area I'll attempt to address in future.

Linemen conversions up next.

Cheers,

Dante

BoyMilla
14-08-2009, 21:17
Griff is outstanding!
Beautiful work. I think the freehand is superb, so intricate.

Love what you're doing with the linemen, can't wait to see more.

BM

sparks
14-08-2009, 23:57
Well, if you're comparing yourself to Razza then you're headed in the right direction, as he's Eavy Metal's best IMO (probably just ahead of Joe Tomaszewski if he's still painting for them)! I just had a look at his to compare things, and it might be the use of real metallics that makes a difference in perception of the two models. The NMM allows him to go for super extreme highlights, and he carries that theme across the whole model. Yours has a more natural feel, which comes out particularly well in the face. I think the actual metallics make it warmer somehow as well.

I'm sure the freehand thing is just a matter of practice, you've not done badly at all on the shoulder pads, and I dread to think how long it took razza to do the lettering on the wrists!

I hope that didn't come across as critical, just trying to make observations between the two. Looking forward to the linemen models!

Finally, the model has studs on the boots?!! Mental!

CMDante
15-08-2009, 00:16
Cheers guys.

@ sparks - Totally agree with your assessment. Darren's NMM is a thing of beauty and really makes his version pop.

His freehand is also wonderfully crisp and fine, something I struggled with.

The studs were something I added with some thin plastic rod. The soles of the feet were flat and bare but given they would be quite visible, I decided to sculpt a heel on the boots and add the studs.

Lineman one will get some GS tomorrow in between playing Madden 10 (woooo!).

Cheers,

Dante

TwoKingMick
15-08-2009, 13:05
Looks great. I'm struggling with the freehand myself at the moment. It ain't easy. A quick question, how do you know it was Darren who painted the heavy metal Griff? Did he do Zug as well?

CMDante
15-08-2009, 13:15
Because he told me :D.

No, Keith Robertson did Zug.

Cheers,

Dante

richy376
16-08-2009, 00:12
Griff looks ace. I think you may be being a little harsh on your freehand skills, it doesn't look like that big an area to be painting designs onto, so it looks a good effort to me. The studs are a nice idea, I thought the figure came like that.

Can't wait to see the lineman with some GS work done. I did think to ask you on the painting - you said these will be based on the box art for the game, and the other human players in that picture have more of a metallic armour than Griff's dark blue. Do you think you'll keep him separate, or will they all get the dark blue armour?

CMDante
16-08-2009, 09:09
Yeah, I had a think about this myself and at the moment I'm not 100% sure. Both Griff and Zug have the dark blue armour so it probably makes sense to continue it throughout the team. Griff should stand out anyway because of the freehand stuff and all the gold on him.

Cheers,

Dante

Azroth
16-08-2009, 21:20
I say go with the dark blue armour for the entire team. It looks great, and both Griff and Zug stand out as individuals more than enough already. Having them in other colours as well would almost be a little silly IMO. So go blue.

Cheers.

Monsterzonk
21-08-2009, 09:08
Hey there!
Haven't posted for a while, but WOW! Both Zug and Griff have turned out extremely well! I really like the faces and the overall smoothness of the figures. Great job!

Cheers,

CMDante
23-08-2009, 19:32
Cheers mate.

Bit of an update:

First off, I forgot to post these pics of Griff's base before, specifically, the severred ear in order to slake the bloodthirst of a particular Warseer member (you know who you are!;)):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1532.jpg

Secondly, I've done a little work on the ogre today, just on the face really at the moment and even then, its not done, but thought I'd post my progress anyway:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1528.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1529.jpg

Quite frustrated with it at the moment. It just looks really scrappy to me for some reason. Maybe I've been staring at it for too long but something just doesn't seem right.

It still needs a few more highlights to really bring it out but I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Am I just going a bit crazy or does it really actually seem scrappy, and if so, where? I can't put my finger on it but something is wrong.

More over the course of the week.

Cheers,

Dante

crouchingotter
23-08-2009, 20:55
Hmm...

I think it's his gums. They're black.

The skin tones are great, the scar tissue works well, his eyes are really showing how angry he is.

But he has black gums....

:D

Cool work so far by the way! I had my first ever game of Blood Bowl this weekend. I've picked Goblins for my team and they seem like good fun :D

The Wildchild
23-08-2009, 21:59
I have to agree...maybe add a little colour to the gums.

Possibly also a little more depth in shading to the shoulder, skin area?

Fantastic painting...you're an inspiration!

richy376
24-08-2009, 20:43
I'd love it if my blending and shading turned out that scrappy :) .

Slightly more constructively, I wonder if it's something to do with the skin tone you don't like? I think that it looks really nicely blended, and the painting is lovely, but I wonder if it's turned out a bit pale? Its hard to tell without the contrast of the colours around it, but it may be a shade light.

Looking forward to seeing how you go with him, looking good so far as I'm concerned.

CMDante
28-08-2009, 20:47
Cheers guys.

After consulting with JRN (http://www.jrn-works.dk/), I realised the problem was the area around the eyes wasn't shaded enough so I've went back to fix it up.

I hope to get some more work done on him this weekend.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
28-08-2009, 21:25
Updated Pics to show work mentioned in previous post:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Blood%20Bowl/IMG_1538.jpg

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
29-08-2009, 12:23
Anyone know what the deal is with all the posts being moved around and the new sub-forums? It's a bit of a mess!

Catferret
29-08-2009, 12:41
Anyone know what the deal is with all the posts being moved around and the new sub-forums? It's a bit of a mess!

If you read the announcement at the top of each forum all should become clear. Your log will get shifted to the relevant forum at some point. I found mine lurking in Historical and Contemporary too. It's been shifted now though.

Wintermute
29-08-2009, 14:29
I'm moving this thread to the Fantasy Project Logs Forum.

Wintermute

Monsterzonk
29-08-2009, 15:56
The Ogre's face looks really good! But maybe even add a little more shading around the eyes? I'm thinking of some red-ish purple or something similar. Just an idea, though... ;)
Keep it up!

Cheers,

BeatTheBeat
29-08-2009, 20:09
How have I managed to miss this until now? Your painting is beyond impressive, as always. Already at the first coats I'm thinking "wooaaaaah", and then it just gets better! :)

Cheers,

BTB

tensions
29-08-2009, 20:26
2 words!

very awesome!

Vinsanity
31-08-2009, 15:23
Griff looks frickin sweet!! Im very jealous :p The ogre is coming along nicely too, the face is looking mean :)

Uriain
02-09-2009, 02:20
Looks incredible, both Zug and Griff looks awesome, definatly worthy of the Star Player Status.. Subbed to this for future awesome

richy376
02-09-2009, 21:00
That looks even better, nicely done. Looking forward to seing more progress on him. Have you done any more work on his monkey?

The boyz
02-09-2009, 21:08
Fantastic work on that Ogres face, CMDante.

Coach
25-11-2009, 23:07
done any more work on the team?

Lord Azoth
26-11-2009, 07:27
amazing expression...

anselminus
26-11-2009, 07:48
very nice human team

CMDante
01-12-2009, 11:40
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately nothing more has been done on them yet, though I do plan to get back to them soon.

I'll keep you all posted.