PDA

View Full Version : Hordey Vampire Counts army, 2000 points. Please C&C!

Lord Hurin
17-06-2009, 01:59
New list at the bottom of the page!

Lord Hurin
17-06-2009, 21:20
Bump...Bump...Bump...

senso
17-06-2009, 21:59
For a 2000pt list, I think you've spent too much on characters. Drop one (or possibly two) of the vampires and invest it into another corpse cart, a necromancer and some ghouls. Use bigger blocks of skellies to tie up enemy units then flank charch them with ghouls - their 2 poisoned attacks within 6" of a corpse cart is deadly.

Also, while it's a nice themed army, I'd consider dropping the blood knights, as they're very expensive and don't have the support to win on their own. Remember they're frenzied, so a savy opponent will lure them into the open with fast cavalry, then shoot/spell/flank charge them to death. Consider a black coach to steal opponent magic dice or a vargulf supported by more ghouls.

Lord Hurin
18-06-2009, 17:21
Could you be more specific about the Characters? How is a Necromancer better in any way (except costing less)? What doesn't work or is redundant?

The Ghouls I have some of, but was always told *not* to mix Core troop types before. Having both though, I'd much rather use both than have to spend money on getting something else!

The Blood Knights are just so damn cool, and seem so damn destructive (on paper at least) that I'll probably use them for a couple games and let experience dictate how effective they are. The banner protects them somewhat against all kinds of ranged attacks.

Yrrdead
18-06-2009, 18:22
Actually I think that your list is fine. I would probably tweak a couple things.

I'd only take 1 unit of dire wolves for screening. I'd dump some items off of Vladimir to save some pts. Especially the tomb blade , which seems cool but, is unnecessary imo.

The zombies I would scrap them and simply raise dead,invo as needed in the game. Though you could also just buy a block of 40 and call it good. I just think that spending pts on a unit of 20 is a waste. You are already going to have to invo on a unit of 20 so with all your casting I would put the pts to a better use.

If you are heavy infantry I would say grab another corpse cart. Corpse carts are great even "naked".

As far as mixing ghoul/skellies goes... It is easier to have two vamps with DA/Summon X and it gives you redundancy. But its not a huge deal if you mix unless you are trying to min/max.

I also rarely ever use a necro. And I would hold off on "playing" with the Black coach for a bit. Its kind of fun. But not something I play with on a regular basis. But I love the model always reminds me of Darby O'gill and the Little People.

Lord Hurin
18-06-2009, 18:32
The Tomb Blade is so he can further boost the Skeletons. Being in a unit of 25, though, he may not need it. Or I could drop them to 17 or something and have them 6x3 with him in there, raising even more. That'd shave some points and if I drop the Zombies would give me a good unit of Ghouls to boot.

The Zombies were literally chosen because of the leftover points and the fact that Wolves, Corpse Carts, etc don't count towards my Core requirements.

Yrrdead
18-06-2009, 18:55
Yeah I used the tomb blade the first two games I played with vamps and haven't touched it since.

I've used blood drinker pretty successfully on the vamp I toss in my blood knight unit but ymmv.

Lord Hurin
18-06-2009, 19:10
Yeah I used the tomb blade the first two games I played with vamps and haven't touched it since.

I've used blood drinker pretty successfully on the vamp I toss in my blood knight unit but ymmv.

Can Blood Drinker be used to revive a Blood Knight? Or just to regain a wound on the Vamp?

Yrrdead
18-06-2009, 19:29
Either just like casting invocation.

Kill-Freedom
18-06-2009, 23:36
Blood Drinker is the best magic weopon in the game ^^

Lord Hurin
19-06-2009, 01:02
Blood Drinker is the best magic weopon in the game ^^

I never actually took a good look. I just thought it could give a Wound back to the user. Being able to resurrect my 55-point Blood Knights is awesome!:D

I think I may consolidate the Vampire Lord and the mounted Vampire into one and add some more units.

Kill-Freedom
19-06-2009, 01:48
I never actually took a good look. I just thought it could give a Wound back to the user. Being able to resurrect my 55-point Blood Knights is awesome!:D

I think I may consolidate the Vampire Lord and the mounted Vampire into one and add some more units.

Be sure to take, red fury and infinite hatred, on your lord, the 4 plus ward save on BK's is a must, they arent that tough......

Lord Hurin
19-06-2009, 02:54
Ok, a new list based on your excellent suggestions :)

Characters

The Red Duke - 440pts
Extra Magic Level; Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Dread Knight; Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Blood Drinker

Vladimir Sangraal - 195pts
Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead; Flayed Hauberk, Tomb Blade

Units

Core

Skeleton Warriors - 181pts (Sangraal goes here)
17 Skellies; Full Command, Banner of the Dead Legion

Skeleton Warriors - 180pts
20 Skellies; Full Command

Cannibal Heathens - 120pts
15 Crypt Ghouls

Cannibal Heathens - 120pts
15 Crypt Ghouls

Corpse Cart - 100pts
Unholy Load Stone

Corpse Cart - 100pts
Unholy Load Stone

Dire Wolf Pack - 40pts
5 Dire Wolves

Dire Wolf Pack - 40pts
5 Dire Wolves

Special

Cloud of Fell Bats - 80pts
4 Fell Bats

Rare

Cursed Knights of Mousillon - 400pts (Red Duke goes here)
5 Blood Knights; Full Command, Flag of Blood Keep

1996 points total.

Gokamok
19-06-2009, 15:21
I would suggest Balefire on one of the Corpse Carts instead of the second Lodestone. With only 5 DD, the extra bit of magic defense could help out a lot, and it shouldn't be impossible to keep the Lodestone close to the units that are taking the most casualties.

Also, I'd recommend finding the points for Ghasts in your Ghoul Units, since the extra attack and possibility to challenge is usually worth it. Maybe just drop a Ghoul from each unit to finance it.

A Battle Standard is in my opinion a must have investment in any VC army.
25 points for +1 CR and less crumbling is just too good to miss, so I'd suggest cutting the 20 strong unit of Skeletons down to 17 in order to make good ol' Vladimir a BSB.

Kill-Freedom
26-06-2009, 09:14
YOu need a vampire with summong ghouls, if your choosing to mix units, i do not think any vampire player should mix core units, and should stick to 1 type

Slayerthane
29-06-2009, 16:53
Here's something I was thinking of as I read the thread. If you want to boost PD output, one interesting combination would be to use Blood Drinker with that item that lets the vamp sacrifice a wound to generate another PD (can't think of the name). You could easily get the wound back in combat and this would still keep within your theme. I would worry that 9PD may not be enough in a game.

Slyde
29-06-2009, 20:58
What is the point of putting your lord in a unit of blood knights? They already will break any unit they charge, so he adds nothing to the unit. The only exception is if you are lining them up to take ranked units from the front, which is the best way to get your general frenzy-baited and crumbled. You don't have enough magic to maintain your infantry line, so all your opponent needs to do is avoid/delay your death star unit and the rest of your army will get wiped quickly.

Also, seeing as you don't have vamps or a general in your lines to project leadership, a smart opponent will send fast units into your ranked infantry to break and run away, forcing you to pass a ld3 test to keep from pursuing off from the rest of your line.

Lord Hurin
30-06-2009, 03:35
Ok, got a new list made up here:

Characters

Duke Maldred of Mousillon - 415pts
Extra Magic Level; Dark Acolyte, Dread Knight, Lord of the Dead; Blood Drinker, Enchanted Shield, Crimson Gem of Lahmia, Black Periapt

The Red Duke - 170pts
BSB; Avatar of Death; War Banner

Vladimir Sangraal - 195pts
Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead; Flayed Hauberk, Tomb Blade

Core

Skeleton Warriors - 157pts (Sangraal goes here)
14 Skellies; Full Command, Banner of the Dead Legion

Skeleton Warriors - 197pts (Red Duke goes here)
19 Skellies; Full Command, Banner of the Endless Nightmare

Undead Horde - 80pts
20 Zombies

Hounds of Undeath - 80pts
2x 5 Dire Wolves

Special

Cloud of Fell Bats - 80pts
4 Fell Bats

Rare

Barrow- Wights - 225pts
3 Cairn Wraiths & 1 Banshee

Cursed Knights of Mousillon - 400pts (Red Duke goes here)
5 Blood Knights; Full Command, Flag of Blood Keep

1999 points total.[/QUOTE]

Slayerthane
30-06-2009, 20:51
I would give your BSB dreadknight to increase his armor save and survivability.

Lord Hurin
30-06-2009, 21:14

And put him with the Blood Knights?

Hulkster
30-06-2009, 23:08
he can stay in the skeleton unit if you want

not only does it improve his durability, it gives you more options when using him

Lord Hurin
30-06-2009, 23:25
he can stay in the skeleton unit if you want

not only does it improve his durability, it gives you more options when using him

How does that rank up though? He kinda takes up 1.25 wide and 2.5 deep...

Hulkster
01-07-2009, 14:08
he just fits in the unit and ranks up like normal

i am not really sure what you are asking?

Slayerthane
01-07-2009, 16:55
He'll take up two spots when ranking up in infantry since the cav base equates to two infantry bases. The Dread Knight will give him a 2+ base armor save and then give him that armor that makes him immune to killing blow and poison.

Spirit
06-07-2009, 03:52

I wold lose the warbanner and give him the flayed hauberk, then i would lose avatar and give him dark acolyte, far more effective support charcater imo.

Spirit
06-07-2009, 03:54
How does that rank up though? He kinda takes up 1.25 wide and 2.5 deep...

remove 2 skeletons from the unit (one from the 1st rank and one from the second)

place the character in that space

ignore any gaps created, it looks a bit silly, but assume the character only takes up those 2 spaces and youl be fine.