PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Spawn, useful?

PeG
17-06-2009, 20:53
I have played a number of games with WE vs WoC and almost every WoC opponent that I have played against have put 1-2 spawns as the only unit in one of the flanks and moves it forward with the random movement. I usually meet the spawn with a minimum sized dryad unit and against 1 spawn the outcome is usually that I get the charge and that the spawn dies in the first round of combat. I the games I have gone up against 2 spawns it usually takes one more round of combat before the flank is open.

So far the spawns have scored 0 wounds on the dryads.

Since multiple opponents have used the same strategy I have a feeling that I am missing something because from the outcomes that I have seen it seems like a really bad plan.

Avian
17-06-2009, 21:50
It is a bad plan, that's probably the reason. ;)

Spawn can be useful, though it depends on the opponent. Against anything that can fight decently well, they are a distraction at most and from what it sounds like, your opponents aren't even using them as a useful distraction.

Zoolander
17-06-2009, 22:06
More than useful, spawn are just plain fun. And the old model is great looking.

Urgat
17-06-2009, 22:10
They're a pain in the neck for my gobs. They don't hurt much, but I don't hurt them much either, so they stall my units for a while. Annoying.

Brando
17-06-2009, 23:17
They also work wonderfully against a wood elf army if played with proper support. They are one of the few units in the WoC army that can effectively kill skirmishers hiding in woods or other fast crap (with a lack of shooting and skirmishers, it's tough for chaos to handle these types of units). Plus, you don't technically need LoS to charge a unit with the spawn...that's why they're awesome!

You could also suggest that your opponent give them the mark of slaanesh to give them ASF....might help a bit especially since you can only line up 3 dryads against the thing (since it has a 40x40mm base).

MarcoPollo
18-06-2009, 02:03
Spawn are great against low st opponents as a cheap tarpit. And you can make a poor mans anvil out of two spawns and a unit of warhounds working in tandem. They can get shot up pretty badly and you cannot expect them to win the day. But they can work wonders if the match up is right.

The main problem for me is that their moves are compulsory, and this means that they move first before the rest of the movement. So planning for spawns can be a pain.

PeG
18-06-2009, 08:31
You could also suggest that your opponent give them the mark of slaanesh to give them ASF....might help a bit especially since you can only line up 3 dryads against the thing (since it has a 40x40mm base).

Based on their current record (0 wounds) I am not convinved that ASF would make any difference. Rather it seems like not getting them into combat with close combat capable units would be the answer.

PurchasedPig
18-06-2009, 15:22
They also work wonderfully against a wood elf army if played with proper support. They are one of the few units in the WoC army that can effectively kill skirmishers hiding in woods or other fast crap (with a lack of shooting and skirmishers, it's tough for chaos to handle these types of units). Plus, you don't technically need LoS to charge a unit with the spawn...that's why they're awesome!

Agreed! I am a Lizardmen player and Spawn are literally my least favourite unit in Warriors Of Chaos as they mash March blockers and such. They are the best response to anything trying to slow down the Warriors.

I think the main reason that you find them so easy to deal with is that you have learned the best way to deal with them very quickly. Strong units that don't rely on static combat res to win combats are ideal for Spawn.

-PurchasedPig-

vinny t
18-06-2009, 16:08
It usually depends what you send them against. Against dryads they will get killed (lots of strength 4 attacks) but against zombies/gobbos/peasents/skinks it will tarpit them for a really long time. They are also good anti-flyer units.

I never leave home without at least one!

Voss
18-06-2009, 18:09
Very useful, very good for catching flankers and upsetting plans. Sometimes their random movement is a problem but for the most part I find them very useful for keeping the opponent from disrupting my battle plans.

Urgat
18-06-2009, 23:25

Slaanesh? Spawns are not made for dealing damage, they're made for staying. And for staying power, there's only one mark: nurgle.

Anardakil
19-06-2009, 00:17
I think MoS is good on spawns against Wood Elves and other fast and fragile units that want to get around the warriors. The spawns get in the way attack and can attack first against units who want to punch through. I play Wood Elves and the slaanesh spawns are pretty evil :P

decker_cky
19-06-2009, 00:26
I don't think any mark compares to the basic 55 pt spawn. There's one good mark for spawns, and that's the slaanesh mark from the older books that makes it move 3d6.

PARTYCHICORITA
19-06-2009, 02:16
markless spawns are a rather decent flank protectors for an infantry base chaos army. They are not that great (as the rest of chaos rare choices) but are cheap and can fullfill their job in an ok manner.

Avian
19-06-2009, 07:22
I think MoS is good on spawns against Wood Elves and other fast and fragile units that want to get around the warriors.
Dryads aren't fragile, though. :p MoS is indeed useful against fragile things, but I don't think it is useful enough to justify the points cost. If it was 10 pts each I would maybe take it.

Griffery
19-06-2009, 07:31
I LOVE THEM!!!! They have helped me out so much. They are fairly cheap for two of them, only 110 points, and then you can give them marks, I like to give them MoS. The ASF is great. Also they would average about rolling a 7 when seeing how far they move which means they can march and charge about 14 inches which is great. The 5T is very helpful. They can get destroyed by shooting but I normally put them on the far flanks and then my opponent seems to ignore them, and then they flank in. It is great.

lopezpie
19-06-2009, 07:37
hmm interesting i have never seen spawn do anything useful i usually just see them bug something or wiped quickly everytime i have played against a woc army running one it got hammered so i dont know i dont really think they are worth it just a little too unpredictable for my taste but hey for 55 points why not

ICLRK625
19-06-2009, 07:37
I LOVE THEM!!!! They have helped me out so much. They are fairly cheap for two of them, only 110 points, and then you can give them marks, I like to give them MoS. The ASF is great. Also they would average about rolling a 7 when seeing how far they move which means they can march and charge about 14 inches which is great. The 5T is very helpful. They can get destroyed by shooting but I normally put them on the far flanks and then my opponent seems to ignore them, and then they flank in. It is great.

You don't double what you roll, you roll two dice and add 2, not roll two dice and that's their movement (as in capable of Marching/Charging). If you touch a unit from the movement you rolled, it's a charge.

Griffery
19-06-2009, 07:43
You don't double what you roll, you roll two dice and add 2, not roll two dice and that's their movement (as in capable of Marching/Charging). If you touch a unit from the movement you rolled, it's a charge.

Why can't you double it? It says that if it is sufficient to take it into an enemy unit than it counts as a charge but it doesn't say that you can't double it like a normal charge. I might just be hoping for it to be the way I have been playing it. Also why would you roll two dice and add 2?

Urgat
19-06-2009, 10:27
They've got random movement and cannot declare charges (see p57 of your WoC armybook), the only way they get in combat in through their normal movement, if it moves them in contact. As they cannot declare charges, they don't "litteraly" charge, and therefore can't have a doubled charge movement.
And I have no idea what that +2 business is. That does not exist.

Avian
19-06-2009, 10:46
Why can't you double it? It says that if it is sufficient to take it into an enemy unit than it counts as a charge but it doesn't say that you can't double it like a normal charge.
Because it says in the sentence immediately after that you treat the distance rolled (and not double the distance rolled) as the Spawn's maximum charge distance. ;)

Le Shirrif
19-06-2009, 10:47
I find spawn are worth it. For relatively low points, you get an unbreakable T5 that gets up to 7 S4 attacks. If nothing else, they are good to charge and hold a unit up for a turn whilst you get your knights stuck in on the flank. However, they do have random movement.
My favourite tactic- take a slaanesh wizard or two and use hysterical frenzy or titillating delusions to force a tough enemy unit to charge the spawn. Then flank charge with your warriors or knights to mush them. Doesn't work against ItP, but against other armies it is fun and dirty.

Mireadur
19-06-2009, 10:53
Slaanesh? Spawns are not made for dealing damage, they're made for staying. And for staying power, there's only one mark: nurgle.

ASF helps the spawn staying.. Once it is in combat of course. :p

Patrick84
19-06-2009, 11:10
Not been mentioned yet

Scyla is a spawn but tasty. i personaly never leave home without Scyla and he as others have said protect my flanks from skirmishers, or tarpits a strong unit he has the added bonus of being able to challange, which means he can normaly survive alot longer in combat.

he also moves 3D6 which is win.

Griffery
19-06-2009, 19:01
Thank you Urgat. I guess I thought that you could still declare charges with them in that direction after you rolled, but I guess not. Thanks for clearing that up.