PDA

View Full Version : LongBeards Clearification

larabic
17-06-2009, 22:11
I read a thread on this topic a while ago, but just wanted to see if anything new had been addressed by a FAQ or something that i couldn't find.

If you have a Dwarf Lord in your army you are allowed to field one more unit of Longbeards then you are normally allowed. So if you have zero units of warriors are you still allowed to field one unit of Longbeards due to the Lords Special rule?

I have always played that you can because I haven't found anything that says you need a unit of warriors...

stripsteak
17-06-2009, 23:17
looks fine to me.

royal blood lets you have 1 more unit of longbears than warriors. the longbeard rule just says you can't have more longbeards than warriors. so wit ha lord i could see 0 warriors and 1 longbeard.

WLBjork
18-06-2009, 07:21
Quite correct.

You could also have a unit of Rangers that have Longbeard stats and a unit of Longbeards :D

larabic
18-06-2009, 07:28
Quite correct.

You could also have a unit of Rangers that have Longbeard stats and a unit of Longbeards :D

Really? They wouldn't count as both rangers and longbeards? Not that i could ever see my self doing it anyway.

Harwammer
18-06-2009, 10:30
Really? They wouldn't count as both rangers and longbeards? Not that i could ever see my self doing it anyway.

I agree with this.

Longbeards is a unit upgrade for warriors and rangers. Longbeards is not a unit type in itself, so does not get over-ridden by being rangers.

stripsteak
18-06-2009, 16:06

by the same token then wouldn't a unit a longbeards be both a warrior and longbeard? and you would then always have as many warriors as longbeards...

the rules can't work both ways. once you upgrade warriors they becomes longbeards, once you upgrade longbeards they become rangers.

while doable i don't think it's that affective. you're now looking at a 14-15pt/model unit.

jaxom
19-06-2009, 19:57
Why would anyone ever take Rangers anyway?

Since the Dwarf list revision they don't have any kind of woodsman rule according to all the Dwarf players at our club. Doesn't that mean they start 2" inside terrain, can't march in terrain, half movement and so move 3/4" per turn which means at 5-wide US10 they *might* clear the woods by turn 5?

Minimum US 10 and a cost of ~10 means that this is points denial Dwarf... 100 points of unit for a table quarter and 100 points of unit at the end of the game?

larabic
19-06-2009, 20:32
They are pretty useless in terrain, but you don't have to start in Terrain, you can just start behind it. The only use i really have for them is a way to deploy a crossbow / gr wep unit in you deployment zone after set up is all done. Use it to fill a hole in you line or putting shooting across from soft troops.

Ozorik
19-06-2009, 21:09
They are great in buildings, aside form that they are underwhelming.

Harwammer
20-06-2009, 11:21
Why would anyone ever take Rangers anyway?

Since the Dwarf list revision they don't have any kind of woodsman rule according to all the Dwarf players at our club. Doesn't that mean they start 2" inside terrain, can't march in terrain, half movement and so move 3/4" per turn which means at 5-wide US10 they *might* clear the woods by turn 5?

Minimum US 10 and a cost of ~10 means that this is points denial Dwarf... 100 points of unit for a table quarter and 100 points of unit at the end of the game?

Scouts are deployed after both sides are done. Using rangers gives you an increased chance of first turn AND a responsive, suprise drop (even if placed in your own deployment zone).

Milgram
20-06-2009, 11:44

3/4"? it is 1.5" after halfing the movement, so they get out of the trees by turn 2, can actually 'run' around starting turn 3. but as they have crossbows, you only have to move them once in order to shoot.