PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Of The Winter Rose - Empire Plog

Count Zero
18-06-2009, 09:13
Well as hinted at in this thread

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205230&page=2

Myself and Ewar (and one other, really we need him to start a plog too don't we) have a small bet running to take a new army to this years GT, as we have both taken the same armies for 3 years in a row (don't know why i'm stopping DE now, just after they got good though :confused:).

If you fail you have to buy the other guy a £12 (might have up this to £15 due to GW price rises) box set from the warhammer world store. not a bank breaker but its the shame of it really isn't it.

Anyway, i have had a hankering for Empire for a long time and had collected a substantial amount of minis that were just sitting around unbuilt and unloved as such.

Still trying to put the background together, will probably pick up the new empire art book soon for some inspiration, but the main army colours will be deep red & whitish blue quartered with dark green and white for the details like feathers & hats etc.

I have attached a few photos, showing what i have completed so far: 1 unit of swordsmen, 1 cannon & 9 crew. Currently working on a 2nd cannon and a unit of hand gunners. I will need to go back and add flock to the bases, but i want to varnish them 1st before i do so.

1 major problem i am having is that at the moment i have no firm idea of what i will want in my GT army, so i am just trying to paint the essentials 1st. Next up will probably be either a unit of pistoleers or a unit of knights for my knight order.

Gargobot
18-06-2009, 09:29
Yeah, it's always nice to see more Empire logs.
I was a little sceptical about the color scheme when I read the text, but it sure does look good. The white on shields and hats gives a nice contrast to the uniform. Looking forward to see more.
And good luck with the bet. *thumbs up*

Count Zero
18-06-2009, 09:47
Thanks Gargobot. Most of my friends were also sceptical when i described the colour scheme to them too, but i feel that on the mini itself it does work. As you say i think its the contrast of the pure white on hats/shields etc that helps bring it together.

mrtn
18-06-2009, 10:35
Hm, I think that colour scheme reminds me of a real world one... *starts googling*
Ah yes, the regiment from Östergötland (http://hem.passagen.se/mrwalker/Reg/regementen1500.htm) in southern Sweden got paid in cloth, and 1548 they got lavender and brick (assume this is a rusty red) coloured cloth.

Nice start to the army, and it's nice to see the old plastic, I much prefer them to the newer ones.

Count Zero
18-06-2009, 14:07
thanks Mrtn. Ostergotland eh. maybe i could try and incorporate some of that into my armies fluff (if i can find some info in English).

i like some of the older minis too. i have another set of the swordsmen bodies currently made as hand gunners (with the metal arms & guns), but i'm not sure if i'd prefer to turn them back into swordsmen, as i am not so keen on the latest statetrooper kit either and i think i'll have plenty of hand gunners anyway.

bob_the_small
18-06-2009, 14:13
Realy cool paint scheme! The white on those shields is awesome! I've also been looking at Ewar's log too, so this will be interesting!

Cragum
18-06-2009, 16:47
Very nicely named blog here! and the models are just as good as the name! some good colour schemes on these empire. never been a big fan of collecting empire or humans bar my imperial guard infantry force but shh. :skull:

looking forward to seeing some more of this stuff!

Arduhn
18-06-2009, 17:08
Cool stuff. The paint scheme actually looks like a variation on the Altdorf colours, that's what I thought it was till I read more.

mrtn
18-06-2009, 19:16
thanks Mrtn. Ostergotland eh. maybe i could try and incorporate some of that into my armies fluff (if i can find some info in English).

i like some of the older minis too. i have another set of the swordsmen bodies currently made as hand gunners (with the metal arms & guns), but i'm not sure if i'd prefer to turn them back into swordsmen, as i am not so keen on the latest statetrooper kit either and i think i'll have plenty of hand gunners anyway.
You could take a look at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96stg%C3%B6ta_infanteriregemente).

You could also possibly incorporate the Östergötland heraldry somewhere.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/%C3%96sterg%C3%B6tland_vapen.svg

PS: I'm not from Östergötland, the reason I'm writing about them is just a random coincidence. ;)

ewar
18-06-2009, 19:42
Nice to see you've taken the plunge mate. I'm afraid I'm going to be the only person here rooting for a lack of progress with your Empire! Why don't you paint some of the gazillion space marines you've bought lately, huh? You know you want to... 3 drop pods waiting to get done...

p.s. the Empire are looking good too...

Elfboy
19-06-2009, 23:03
I like the colours. You're not a villa fan are you? Or west ham (makes more sense since your a londoner). Very popular colour for football kits. Good start btw

Count Zero
20-06-2009, 10:05
thanks for all your kind comments guys, its appreciated. Elfboy, i hadn't thought about football colours actually. i'm a gunner myself.

Breazer
20-06-2009, 13:49
its really cool to see so many empire plog's popping out of the ground these days
specially since i have been working on my own one
i like the contrast you added there zero..
i'm looking forward to the other units...

Count Zero
10-08-2009, 07:50
Its been a long time since i have done an update here, the painting slowed down a bit unfortunately, and i have had to take a break from the Empire as i am now going to the earliest GT heat so won't have time to get the army done, meaning i have had to switch back to Dark Elves.
So my latest updates are the unit of Hand Gunners, a started unit of pistoleers and then came the switch back to DE and a unit of Manflayers (to be used a great weapon armed shades) some of which were already painted.

Next up for the DE will be re-basing the old metal DE pegasus I have from a cav base to a small monster base to make it tournament legal and a unit of Cold One Knights