PDA

View Full Version : Why's everyone hate tooth-gnoblars?

Time of Madness
18-06-2009, 14:57
Question of the Day!

Why does everyone have a hate on for tooth gnoblars?

For a mere 5pts you get the chance to cast a spell with one dice for a 84% success rate. Seems pretty solid to me especially if you have a heavy magic phase.

Opinions?
Time of Madness

vinny t
18-06-2009, 15:04
Well the fact that if you roll a two total to cast a spell the spell fails no matter what. So the only use for Tooth Bnoblars is to make a spell go off on a higher roll. Still, it's good for its cost.

That and, I think a lot of people would forget to use it. (like me)

Agoz
18-06-2009, 16:39
its only really useful when you have multiple butchers and your trying to cast a spell that you've already cast with another butcher. That and making a spell harder to dispel.

Atrahasis
18-06-2009, 16:43
That said though, when you have 5 points left over at the end with an Ogre army, there aren't many other things you can buy!

Agoz
18-06-2009, 17:34
That said though, when you have 5 points left over at the end with an Ogre army, there aren't many other things you can buy!

sword gnoblars, luck gnoblars, Lookout gnoblars... ;)

Griffery
19-06-2009, 06:58
I don't know too much about them but they seem fairly good for only 5 points. They are especially helpful in Ogres I find, as seeing they are not the most magic heavy.

Da GoBBo
19-06-2009, 09:48
...that you've already cast with another butcher. That and making a spell harder to dispel.

Which is pretty neat, as it will often force your opponent to roll two dice instead of one, or try not at all. Very good item and I wish you could have loads of the little critters.

Spirit
19-06-2009, 14:46
Question of the Day!

Why does everyone have a hate on for tooth gnoblars?

For a mere 5pts you get the chance to cast a spell with one dice for a 84% success rate. Seems pretty solid to me especially if you have a heavy magic phase.

Opinions?
Time of Madness

Its still only 66% cast rate because the roll of a 2 does not cast, even with +1.

Keller
19-06-2009, 14:58
I like the idea of Tooth Gnoblars, as well as Sword and Luck Gnoblers, but I seldom find myself taking any of them. Firstly, I always forget to use any of them, wasting points. Secondly, if I buy them all from the start, they quickly eat up points I could use elsewhere. For the most part, I'd rather buy another Trapper or 2-3 more Gnoblar Fighters which I can see and remember. Of course, if I have a few extra points and no gnoblar units to bump up, I will take them.

I think the best way to use Tooth Gnoblars is, as ToM suggests, to cast a spell on 1 dice. Its a great start to your magic phase, since your costs are low, and your opponent has to decide whether to save his/her DD for your other spells. I like to start out with a good 1-die BrainGobbler or Bone Cruncher to hit the enemy unit, then use the bulk of my casting pool to buff my ogres for combat.

If you NEED a spell to go off, you can sacrifice multiple Toothies to really boost your power, making them very helpful. My Slaughtermaster has gotten a much needed buff off with a +3 to help sway an important combat in atleast one game. Well worth the 15 points in those cases.

hill9969
19-06-2009, 19:13
I never take tooth gnoblars because you have to declare using them before you cast the spell and as stated before a roll or 1 or 2 will fail. The odds of tooth gnoblars being effective are small. They do make it that much harder to dispel but my opponents generally take dispel scrolls or just wait until they can dispel the RiP spell. There are other items that Ogres can take that for their point cost are much more effective at making sure spells go off. Powerstones and Grut's sickle are examples.

Plus I would rather take a look-out-gnoblar, or a luck gnoblar. When making my army I almost always get the point value to the max that is allowed for that battle. Think of it this way I would rather not take two tooth gnoblars and have an extra rank to a unit of gnoblars.