PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Wariors and magic banners

nickdahkwik
18-06-2009, 16:00
Are the choas warriors able to take a banner for every unit on the battle field as long as they have affordable banners left? it doesn't say in the codex...i would assume its just like anyone else's codex right if a unit of Empire knights can have a magic banner for up to 50 pts. you could have like 3 different units with magic banners if you can afford them in the points cost right? so there would be no restriction for chaos warriors now correct? and they can take a mark as well if they wish!

just bought new chaos codex and friend who plays chaos was wondering i was unsure...so i came here i told him what i thought they should be able to however some members of our club think that this is "unfair" but for 15pts a model i really didn't think so. i thought it made sense.

Witchblade
18-06-2009, 16:27
All correct.

Restrictions are:
- each magic item can be taken only once.
- each unit can have only 1 banner.
- each unit can have only 1 mark (but you can have differently marked items/characters in the unit).

nickdahkwik
18-06-2009, 16:59
Thanks , thats what i thought the last one is good to know also!

Drachen_Jager
18-06-2009, 20:01
I don't know about unfair... Taking too many magic items is a trap for Chaos Warriors, your #1 concern should be boots on the ground, your army will likely be smaller than most you face and if you weigh yourself down with a ton of magic it will be even smaller. I usually take just the Warbanner on a unit of knights and no other magic standards.

nosferatu1001
18-06-2009, 23:40
If you're playing a footslogging list then the stubborn banner can be well worth it - you quite often take the charge therefore being able to get Ld8+ with a reroll is very handy....

Tae
21-06-2009, 01:06
If you're playing a footslogging list then the stubborn banner can be well worth it - you quite often take the charge therefore being able to get Ld8+ with a reroll is very handy....

I couldn't agree more.

My nurgle list runs with 3 blocks of 18 warriors all sat fairly close to each other. The middle one has the stubborn BSB, the unit on the right has the Banner of Rage and the unit on the left the Rapturous Standard. This means that the middle unit is immune to fear+terror and is stubborn, the unit on the right is ItP and stubborn and the unit on the left is stubborn and insane courage on lots of possibilities.

I've found it to be the best combination (apart from MoS) to fighting DoC as most times my warriors will pass their Ld8 (or any double/1) with a re-roll. But I agree with what as said earlier, looking at the magic banners when chosing lots of warriors can be a bit of a points waste, only really take the ones that can be effectively utilised rather than just throwing points on shiney items.

nickdahkwik
22-06-2009, 21:58
okay since you play Chaos...I am Empire...what would you say you fear the most in an empire army? (unit)

Tae
23-06-2009, 00:45
okay since you play Chaos...I am Empire...what would you say you fear the most in an empire army? (unit)

A level 4 Mage using Lore of Metal.