PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves inc Dragon

nasty_little_hobbit
18-06-2009, 18:22
Ive decided that for a summer project im going to build up a Wood Elves army and actually complete a full 2000pt force instead of just buying lots of troops and never painting them.
A friend of mine has a few wood elves models from when they didnt have a book and is giving/lending them to me to paint and play with them.
This army is based on these troops and the battalion+ dryads box set.
Ill be mainly facing orcs/goblins, empire and tomb kings at lower levels.

High born- dragon, light armour, enchanted shield, spear, helm of the hunt, hail of doom arrow , stone of the crystal mare = 575
Ive never fielded a large monster, not even ogre sized models so really looking forward to trying him out. Its probably not the best model to use in a friendly enviroment but my group are up for a challenge

Spell singer- lv2-dispel scroll, calingor staff= 175
Spell singer- level 2, deepwood sphere, scroll, steed=187
In the enviroment I play two level 2 wizards are normally the maximum and Wood Elves wouldnt be wood elves if they wern't moving trees around, especially useful when my friend has a habit of using large numbers of spider riders.
10glade guard- = 120
10 glade guard- =120
One unit will be my mages bodyguard and be used to reduce the ranks of large orc/swordsmen units
8 dryads-champ=108
8 dryads=96
8 dryads= 96
I was really impressed with these guys when I proxied them in a small 1000pt battle and hoping they'd be able to hold the centre until my flankers hit home.
6 wild riders-standard, warbanner= 199
My main flanking force. Together with the wardancers they should be able to take out and thing that is thrown at them.
6 wardancers- champ= 122
I would like them to be bigger but its all Ive got at the moment.
6 waywatchers- = 144
Useful for taking out warmachines and lone wizards
Great eagle= 50
My sacrafice unit for flushing out fanatics etc
=1998

The basic plan will be loading most of my units on the flanks with only 2 dryad units and a glade guard unit to hold the centre. The dragon/ dryads will occupy one flank and everyone else on the other.Hopefully I should be able to take out my opponents flankers quickly and then support the dryads in the centre with flank charges; im not expecting the dryads to live but hopefully theyll hold anyone up long enough for support.

If all goes to plan Im hoping to purchase 4 spawns and convert them into tree Kin to hold the centre and purchase the noble/highborn on great stag.

Any advice/ tactics for using dragons and wood elves in general is greatly appreciated.

famehunter
19-06-2009, 02:05
If I may make a suggestion for the dragon model, buy the high elves kit and replace the hero with 1 from your wood elves. The kit comes with all the bits to make the dragon look just like a green dragon and you can also use the mage's leg pieces as wood elf ones, 1 of the heads is just a plain elf head so it would also work and then there is a chest bit with fancy dragon fin like style. Just paint the gems green and you can prolly make a wood elf hero with the kit on its own.

Pulsks
19-06-2009, 02:10
I'd give the mage's baby sitter unit a champion to accept challenges.

famehunter
19-06-2009, 02:21
here take a look at this, its the high elves draon model converted to a wood elf: http://www.coolminiornot.com/219732

Dark14
19-06-2009, 05:25
love the green on the dragon. looks like agood list to.

the gribbly
20-06-2009, 21:40
Although WE dragons are the weakest of any dragon + rider builds, they are still very powerful if used correctly. The harsh nature of a large flying terror causing rank breaker is gonna be hard for many opponents to deal with. Still, try him a few times and see how your group reacts. I think you will usually find him to be to one extreme or another, i.e. either a points sink or overpowered but if they are cool with this he can be fun now and again. Heres a few thoughts on dragons and your list:

-Dragons function best when a list is designed to support them. In this respect I feel woodies are unmatched. Right now the list seems a little too slow (for WEs anyway) with only a couple elements to support the dragon.

-Dragons are best used on a flank and then only when charging against the flank or rear of a unit. This is best accomplished if you have something in the center that forces your opponent to focus a significant portion of his army toward the center rather than just turning to deal with the dragon & co. Example: a treeman flanked by 2x8 dryads centerfield, supported by 1-2x10 gladeguard. This is a powerful force that requires quite a bit of attention to deal with.

-Never send your dragon against unbreakable or stubborn troops if you can help it, unless you can destroy the unit on the charge or have no other option. Even then, dragons should still be supported to ensure you dont become bogged down or fluff your rolls and lose him.

-Always deploy your dragon behind terrain to start.

Onto the list:
-Your dragon build is currently illegal as you have 2 pieces of magical armor. I would stick with the HotH and trade e.shield for SoM. HoDA and SotCM are pretty standard kit and the HoDA actually rocks on a dragon allowing you to erase a support unit 1st turn while getting into position.

-IMO 2 spellsingers wont net you much, especially in a dragon list. I would take a simple dispelsinger w 2 scrolls to protect your 570 pt model for 2 turns and then replace the 2nd singer with either an alter noble to run with the dragon or a WD noble with moonstone. Picture this: center force draws attention, fast flanking force weights one flank, WDs teleport behind enemy lines...turn 2, IMPACT! There is very little an opponent can do to protect his flanks and rear against this. I have used this tactic to great effect several times, even massacring a maxed out DE list with 2xhydra, 15 PD, ASF BG, 2 assassins etc. anyway...

-Core units look good although I would be tempted to drop a dryad unit to help pay for a treeman. Note that I play 2250 though. Seems everything is a tight squeeze in this list.

-Specials are Ok, depending on if you are gonna include a moonstone or not. I would also try to squeeze another unit of wildriders or perhaps even some warhawks here.

-Waywatchers dont seem to compliment your list as much as another fast rank breaker or flying unit would. Still they can be amazing from time to time. Personally a treeman would fit better if points allow.

-Lastly, deploying your flanking force all on one side will probably work far better than dividing it to both flanks. WE generals should always go for concentration of force. If you dont like the situation you can redeploy your army far faster than your opponent can.
Again, remember to place your dragon behind cover to avoid 1st turn sniping. From there wise terrain placement should allow you to screen him and your flanking force from the majority of shooting/magic.

Thats about it, hope this gave you some ideas. -grib

nasty_little_hobbit
22-06-2009, 19:24
Thanks for the advice it was extremely useful and gives me a lot to think about.
Ive decided that for the moment Im going to drop the dragon and add in some more troops as I mainly included the dragon just so I could cheaply reach the 2000pt level. Ive never been a fan of using death star units or point heavy characters as it changes the balance of the game too much so I would be betraying that if I included a big scary monster characters, maybe be at 2500+ but for now, it seems a little unfair on my opponents.

-Yeah I can see what your saying about the spellsingers. I kinda thought that most of my opponents will be only using 2 wizards so I could of got a few spells off ( that and the fact that I would miss not having something to do in every phase) but they probably arent worth the points, ill drop them for a branchwrath and anotheer character.

-I would love to include more wild riders, warhawks, wardancers but I do have a limited budget ( saving up for uni) which does effect my choices to a large extent.

Heres my revised list with the help of your suggestions and the units I have/ really like the models for.

Wild Wider Highborn- great stag, SotCM, Spear of twilight=305
Wardancer noble- blades of loec= 140
Alter noble- light armour, great weapon, shield, HoDA, HotH=158
Branchwraith- level1, cluster of radiants, murder of sprites= 165
10glade guard- = 120
10 glade guard- =120
8 dryads-champ=108
8 dryads=96
4 tree kin= 260
5 wild riders- standard, warbanner= 173
5 wild riders-full command=166
7 wardancers-musician=133
eagle=50
=1994

Ive chosen the Highborn on stag mainly because of the model. I'm aware he isnt the most effective character out there but he should be fairly tough with a '3+ward'/5+ward and the stag comes with a 5+ward and should be in combat quickly to avoid too much missle attention. He will join the 2nd wild rider unit.
The Treekin gives me a solid centre supported by the 2 dryad units which should be able to hold the enemy long enough for the flankers to hit home. I will buy two spawn box sets which could look effective if extra dryad bits are used.
I realised I could make 2 units 5 wild riders by converting the 8 glade riders in the battalion and the spare horses I have from the spellsinger and from my other armies + using ungor bodies.
As you can see Ive dropped the waywatchers and a dryad unit for the extra wild riders and tree kin but I dont think that is too much of a loss. If facing empire I may find room to fit the waywatchers back in to take out knights but against O&G/ Tomb Kings I cant see them being very effective.

How does the list look now with the changes? I feel the loss of the dragon and extra units give me a much more balanced force and thus a more interesting army to play both with and against. Any advice/tactics appreciated.
Cheers, Hobbit.

willowdark
22-06-2009, 19:43
If you like the model so much, why not make your stag rider a hero with the SotCM or the KB spear? Make you Wardancer the Highborn with the AoN and a Ward Save.

Liking a modle should be more than enough reason to use it, but you don't have to hand over his points+100 to the enemy because his mount is fundamentally weak. The Wardancer is survivable. The Stag Rider is better suited as a hero to just boost the wild riders, the same way I'm sure you think of the current Wardancer noble. You get the best of both worlds, a model you love _and_ a Lord worth the points.

If you do keep the Stagborn, give him the AoN. That way, even if you loose the mount you still have a good chance of holding those tough characters in the challenge for as long as you need to land that KB.

Otherwise, I'd say it's a nice list.

Friedtaterexplosion
23-06-2009, 02:13
One very fun trick with with the forest dragon is to give the Lord the Moonstone of the Hidden ways. I've teleported the dragon to a forest on the other side of the battlefield. The dragon still has a 6" move that ignores forests. It can be great fun!

IkuTurso
23-06-2009, 21:28
High born- dragon, light armour, enchanted shield, spear, helm of the hunt, hail of doom arrow , stone of the crystal mare = 575

Wood elf dragon lord isnt cheesy at all. But worth his points none the less Im sure

Ive never fielded a large monster, not even ogre sized models so really looking forward to trying him out. Its probably not the best model to use in a friendly enviroment but my group are up for a challenge

Spell singer- lv2-dispel scroll, calingor staff= 175
Spell singer- level 2, deepwood sphere, scroll, steed=187
Good, while they wont do anything against magic defensive armies,basically anything with more more then 5 dd, they protect your army from magic, and that is VERY IMPORTANT as wood elves!

In the enviroment I play two level 2 wizards are normally the maximum and Wood Elves wouldnt be wood elves if they wern't moving trees around, especially useful when my friend has a habit of using large numbers of spider riders.2 lvl 2s is maximum? wow, that is really magic un-heavy :) lvl4 and lvl2 is cap at my club and that feels quite little to me. anyway you should be happy as wood elf player, maybe you can drop a spellsinger (not the one with scrolls) and keep 1 for defense. tree singing while souding nice and fluffy,doesnt do anthing at all most of the time. its really bad. lore of athel loren is bad. magic defense is good.

10glade guard- = 120
10 glade guard- =120
Good core units, every woodie army should have at least 20 GG :)

One unit will be my mages bodyguard and be used to reduce the ranks of large orc/swordsmen units
GG are good at shooting whilst kiteing the enemy, you should get them in combat if at all possible. having yor mage here is easy VP's for your opponent most of the time.

8 dryads-champ=108
8 dryads=96
8 dryads= 96
Another solid core base here, dryads are good, units of 8 are good, champ not neccessary but you prolly put it in with exess points

I was really impressed with these guys when I proxied them in a small 1000pt battle and hoping they'd be able to hold the centre until my flankers hit home.
6 wild riders-standard, warbanner= 199
Strong flank unit, good.

My main flanking force. Together with the wardancers they should be able to take out and thing that is thrown at them.
6 wardancers- champ= 122
good,while the champ is only needed if you put a char i them. You can keep them in a wood between your WR and middle force so they can go either way. 6 is fine, 7 is better.

I would like them to be bigger but its all Ive got at the moment.
6 waywatchers- = 144
Another nice, fluffy unit

Useful for taking out warmachines and lone wizards
Great eagle= 50
I never used one but I quess its good,50 points isnt much anyway

My sacrafice unit for flushing out fanatics etc
=1998

Looks good overall, be sure to tell me how it does!

Antonus
23-06-2009, 23:31
The list looks good and I agree with all of the suggestions here. I would like to comment on tactics though.

I used to think very similarly to you when it came to how I would play my army. Have some units to hold the center and come in and flank. However, I recently abandoned that style of play and it has done wonders for my success rate. I use 3 units of 10 GG and put them in the "center" of my opponents army. Everything else is on the flanks... everything. Most people will want to charge in after the GG units and I do usually lose 1-2 of them by the end of the game but at the same time I have side / rear charges on those units that went in after them. If they try to focus on the flanks they end up splitting their army and my GG can just go to town for the game. We are fast and rarely do we have to fight a fight we don't want to. Just sharing my experiences as a wood elf general =).

Would also like to point out that unlike most other lores, our lore doesn't require line of site for most of our spells. That being said, your mages should be hiding in your free forest / random terrain forest or behind a hill within 18" of your units.

Once your are in a wood you are pretty much untouchable and can do their thing. Just watch out for enemy terror causers =).