PDA

View Full Version : 3500 Dark Elves vs. Wood Elves

Griffery
19-06-2009, 06:38
So my friend and I are going to be having a 3500 point game, my DE vs. his WE. I am not truly sure what kind of list he, or I, will be taking but I can gaurantee you he thinks I will be taking as many hydras as possible. I am afraid that if I take one, he will use something I do not know about and kill them before they can do anything good. Anyways I am thinking I will take some shades, put them down as soon as possible in the forests to try and get rid of any way watchers. Also, I am a huge fan of Malekith and have never actually used him and so I am planning on using him on a black dragon, but that alone is 920 points. Is it worth using him and experiencing his power because it is such a large point game, or should I drop him and buy something cheaper?

lopezpie
19-06-2009, 06:44
i would drop malekith because will if he is running waywatchers well malekith could get dropped with killing blow not sure if he is immune or not to it

and with my experience with wood elves the faster you get to them the better. they have crumbled in cc every time i have played them. i say take the hydra, cok, coc, just whatever you can to get to them quick go low infantry. or they will get shot to bits

kardar233
19-06-2009, 07:52
There is no way Mally will get shot up by Waywatchers; he's immune to multiple wounds and has a 2+ ward against non-magical attacks. However, that doesn't mean he should be taken. A good half of his points cost is his combat ability, and anything worth your time will have magical attacks (negating his ward) and the Annoyance, stopping you from hitting him on anything except 6s.

I'd go for Morathi on Sulephet with the Black Staff and something else, as she's fast enough to avoid enemies while being more powerful magically than Mally.

SkawtheFalconer
19-06-2009, 07:56
I can tell you as a Wood Elf player that Hydras are a serious pain, and we have very little that can deal with them.

Do be careful about putting Shades in Woods - Treeman strangle-root or Treesinging (which has no range limitation when the causing damage variety, as specified in Woody FAQ) will really ruin their day.

nzdarkelf
19-06-2009, 08:54
Griffery

Sounds like you and your friend are arranging a bit of a special game. 3500points a side, pretty impressive. If you have a desire to have a go with Malekith on his dragon you will never get a better time. If you want to do it then go for it. Think of it as a special occasion, with the playing of the game (and fun) the object not the winning of it. Good luck.
Dont forget his way watchers will have a 3 inch sight in the forest while your shades will only see 2 inches. If you have the special slot to do it, maybe split your shades into 2 units so you can try to flank those way watchers.

lopezpie
19-06-2009, 15:38
There is no way Mally will get shot up by Waywatchers; he's immune to multiple wounds and has a 2+ ward against non-magical attacks. However, that doesn't mean he should be taken. A good half of his points cost is his combat ability, and anything worth your time will have magical attacks (negating his ward) and the Annoyance, stopping you from hitting him on anything except 6s.

ahh i knew it thanks

but if the dude is doing a forest spirit army all there attacks are magical
which negate the ward save

well i just wouldnt take malekith he just eats points man

Shadowsinner
19-06-2009, 17:45
easy way to kill Wood elves... bulk up on magic and kill it with fire

Griffery
19-06-2009, 18:09
Yeah my plan isn't so much for my shades to kill his way watchers so much as make it so that they cannot be put in the forest by putting my shades into the forests first. What do you guys think of harpies? I was thinking they could either try to hunt down the way watchers instead of the shades or simply fly across and attack his glade guard so he cannot shoot with them. Any tips on what type of army like CC heavy, magic heavy, shooty, or balanced.

nzdarkelf
20-06-2009, 01:00
I reckon this could be a really interesting game. Lots of archery firefights instead of melees. Lots of small terrain peices could really make this game. Small hills (outside of the deloyment zones) that can be contested to give a archer/ crossbow unit an advantage (maybe), or walls and ruins that give the occupier some sort of cover advantage. Of course there will be Treemen and other monsters (Dragons...) that have to be delt with as well. The shooting phase may over take the melee phase in importance, and as both sides have good archery options thats fair all round.