PDA

View Full Version : need help w/ HE hero setup

dwarf lord
20-06-2009, 04:28
the setup is for a prince and a noble. The noble is the BSB and both will lead infantry units. Ive narowed it down to 2 different setups. Please let me know what you think.

#1: Prince, great weapon, armour of caledor, vam of defence and talisman Loec, 2+ re-rollable AS, 4+ ward, 4 S6 attacks & use of talisman
Noble: dragon armour, shield, barded steed, guardian phoenix and sword of might, 2+ AS, 5+ ward save & 3 S5 attacks

#2 Prince: White sword, armour of caledor, guardian phoenix & talisman of Loec, 2+ AS, 5+ ward save, 4 killing blow attacks & use of talisman
Noble: dragon armour, shield, barded steed, helm of fortune & sword of might, 1+ re-roll armour save & 3 S5 attacks

I like setup #2 the best as ASF w/ white sword and talisman means almost guarantted death to any characters not immune to KB or able 2 negate magic items before they even get to attack. In setup #2 the BSB is actually harder to kill with the reroll 1=AS unless they negate AS. I just hate not taking the vam of defense as it is one of the best items in the game! I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on the two. If anyone has any better setups feel free to post them also.

PARTYCHICORITA
20-06-2009, 12:24
Both are very nice setups. The first one should be just fine troop killing while the second one is a very nice character slayer.
Like the second one better since HE can get some trouble dealing with lord level enemy characters.

VS greater deamons thugh (and we all love our greater deamons) the 1 setup is better.

Ojp2008
16-07-2009, 03:34
Why take sword of Might (+1 Strength) for 15 points? When you have ASF rule, why not pay 8 points for a great weapon (+2 strength) and save yourself some points?

Dark14
16-07-2009, 03:46
Why take sword of Might (+1 Strength) for 15 points? When you have ASF rule, why not pay 8 points for a great weapon (+2 strength) and save yourself some points?

agreed its st6 attacks asf

Condottiere
16-07-2009, 06:17
Some things only suffer damage from magical attacks.

Aranel
16-07-2009, 23:54
I prefer set up 2 myself. The Lord if lethal and the noble can hold his own. Unless your fighting forest spirits or undead, I wouldn't worry to much about magical attacks. since your mounted you might as well take a halbard, save 11pts? and give a unit champion gem of courage. What units are you deploying the characters them in btw?

grhino
17-07-2009, 09:40
For the Noble, I'd go for a lance instead. When he hits the enemy with his unit he'll want to break them on the first turn, so maximize on that. If they get stuck they'll need to be rescued by something else anyway. Other than that: the White Sword/Talisman combo is very good indeed. Very handy for killing enemy characters in CC. Why not put the BSB on foot as well - AS is assume?

isidril93
17-07-2009, 14:42
iirc you cannot take a great weapon and a banner, but that might be 6ed
go for the second...if your opponent is dead you dont need to survive his attacks

Nu Fenix
17-07-2009, 16:10
The newer books of this edition removed the restriction of equipment for a BSB - After all, a unit can still fight with their standard, so why would a hero get penalised?

So Great Weapons are a solid choice on HE BSB, since they can try to defeat anything that might try to attack them, or if using a magic banner, go for Dragon Armour and Shield, for a 3+ save.

sulla
18-07-2009, 22:39
I'd always give the BSB a barded steed, full armour and the battle banner. It's better than anything else he can get IMO.

For the lord, I'd probably focus a fair bit on protection. Elflords are notoriously easy to kill. So your #1 setup is probably the best bet for him.