PDA

View Full Version : halberdiers,viable?

LemanRuss
20-06-2009, 19:35
are halberdiers a viable choice for state troops or do both the swordsmen and spearmen outclass them?
i was thinking the same before but then i thought what about giving them shields?
then you make them very versatile!
and i think thats the strength of the empire, what do you think?
getting out the hand wep and shield when needed and hitting on str when you need to hack armor.

whats that buzz tell me whats a happenin

PeG
20-06-2009, 20:13
Swordsmen are the best state troops due to better armour save. Some people likes to use halbardiers for detachments for slightly higher damage but on the other hand most opponents tries to kill detachments first. Personally I think halbardiers are for looks and fluff reasons only.

Spears are good against really bad opponents like zombies, skaven slaves etc since your extra attacks actually will kill something. Against anything else swordsmen are better which means that the main point of taking spears is also looks and fluff.

Bloodknight
20-06-2009, 20:31
That is a pretty good description. Thing is that Empire units usually win through sheer static CR, and Swordsmen are the best at preserving said CR because they have 2 defensive advantages over the other state troops: a better armour save and better WS.
Halberdiers die too easily compared to their damage output, and although spearmen get more attacks, not losing that point of CR is just more worth it. (assuming swordsman vs swordsman you need 8 attacks to kill one model statistically. That's more than the front rank has usually...).

Avian
20-06-2009, 20:37
The good thing is that nowadays a lot of stuff is so nasty that it doesn't really matter what unit you take against them. ;)

Havock
21-06-2009, 03:17
It's probably not going to win or lose you the battle really.

Commodus Leitdorf
21-06-2009, 11:50
The good thing is that nowadays a lot of stuff is so nasty that it doesn't really matter what unit you take against them. ;)

This

State troops are all made of equal amount of suck vs Elite troops these days (which is all I see across the board nowadays bar armies that haven't been updated to 7th yet) Take which ever ones you want honestly. If you like the look of ranked halberdiers, take'em.

Slayerthane
08-07-2009, 20:14
In my experience I have found spearmen are better than swordsmen for detachments, but swordsmen make a more versatile parent unit. I think against t3 opponents spearmen kill more, anything with a higher toughness and you're just going to win through CR. However, I like to take halberdiers in my detachments, partially for fluff reasons but also because you can switch between HW+S and a halberd depending on the situation.

isidril93
09-07-2009, 12:51
In my experience I have found spearmen are better than swordsmen for detachments, but swordsmen make a more versatile parent unit. I think against t3 opponents spearmen kill more, anything with a higher toughness and you're just going to win through CR. However, I like to take halberdiers in my detachments, partially for fluff reasons but also because you can switch between HW+S and a halberd depending on the situation.

why...they wouldnt have the extra attacks on the turn that they flank (which are what most detatchment are for, i think

Keller
09-07-2009, 12:55

I think Avian nailed it here.

Personally, I prefer spearmen and halberdiers for my parent units. They look fantastic on the table, and it often doesn't matter that much which one you have against most enemies. The ranking order of them is definately swordsmen>spearmen>halberdiers, but there is more to picking units than just expected outcomes.

If you like Halberdiers, they can work, and will certainly look impressive on the table. If you are worried about statistics, go for swordsmen.

Brother Drakist
09-07-2009, 13:17
Pretty much agree with Avian and Keller. It's all the same at this point. The only exception being that the swordsmen might lose CR a little slower.

selone
09-07-2009, 16:55
I like halberdeers as detachments whilst you can argue that all empire infantry gets beaten faily badly these days halberdeers will get absolutely murdered, t3, 6+ armour save is not a good look :p

Caboose123
09-07-2009, 19:07
Its not only the better armour saves that make swordsmen the more popular choice. They have Ws4 (which is handy against other Ws4 troops) and I4 (Hey, this might make a difference).
Personally I use big blocks of swordsmen, but Hlaberdiers are handy as detachments IMHO.

Irisado
09-07-2009, 19:18
If you are interested in fielding Halberdiers as parent units, then you may find this post (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2530733&postcount=28), and this post (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2535731&postcount=63) contain useful ideas on how you may utilise such a unit successfully.

Halberdiers are often compared unfavourably to Swordsmen and Spearmen, and it is true that they have some weaknesses in comparison, but this does not mean that they should never be used, and hopefully the points made in those two articles may convince you of their merits.