Here is my tournament army. Comments are welcome

Lord of chaos
-Dragon of chaos
-Mark of slaanesh
-Great weapon
-Gaze of Gods
-Enchanted shield
=641

Fast moving and hard hitting guy. The list`s main threat. Flies across the battlefield and gets charge on enemy`s most expensive unit on turn 2.

Exalted champion of chaos
-Great weapon
-Mark of slaanesh
-Steed of slaanesh
-Shield
=166

Moves fast and charges to chariots and weak targets. Works usually with mounted demonettes

Sorcerer of chaos
-Mark of chaos undivided
-2 dispel scrolls
=135

Carries armys dispel scrolls. I usually put him to a forest terrain to avoid enemys flyers etc.

Characters total: 942

5 Knights of chaos
-Mark of slaanesh
-Musician
-Standard bearer
+ War banner
-Champion
-Chosen status
=320

Fast and very hard hitting unit, but rather expensive. I really like these guys.

Chariot of Chaos
-Mark of chaos undivided
=120

Charges to the weak units of the enemy, or tries to hold enemy down, and then fast cavalry flanks them.

5 Marauder horsemen
-Flails
-Musician
=81

Normal fast cavalry unit. Notice the strength 5 on charge. Very cheap and useful.

6 Warhounds of chaos
=36

6 Warhounds of chaos
=36

Screen for knights

Core total: 593

6 Chaos furies
=90

Hunt down enemy warmachines and lone wizards.

5 Mounted demonettes of slaanesh
=150

Very, very fast cavalry. Tries to flank enemy, or destroy the weak targets with their own.

Special: 240

Spawn of chaos
-Fiend of slaanesh
=75

Spawn of chaos
-Fiend of slaanesh
=75

Spawn of chaos
-Fiend of slaanesh
=75

Great monsters! Hold the enemy units down and receive charges. When the enemy is stuck in a combat with one of these spawns, the Lord on dragon or the exalted champion comes to finish the job.

Rare total: 225

Yht: 2000pts

Power dices: 3
Dispel dices: 3

Models in army: 40.

Sorry my poor english, im from Finland. Comments and critic is welcome.

arxhon
07-05-2005, 20:46
Hi,

First off, i'm pretty sure you can't use mounted Daemonettes in a non-Daemonic Legion army. The GW SoC FAQ states that new units must be specifically stated as "usable in an army of the standard type", and from what i can tell, mounted daemonettes are not.

I may be wrong, however. :)

I don't think dumping half your list into 3 characters is a very good idea, especialyl if you face an artillery heavy army like Dwarves. That dragon is going to be eating cannonballs from turn one.

The marauder horsemen unit is too small and fragile to be of any use. Against a standard foot unit of 16 models, they're going to have to do 4 wounds just to force a standard Ld test (that's assuming they take down a full rank), meaning they all have to hit and kill a model. They might be useful as flankers, but that's it. At any rate, the musician is a waste of points, unless you expect this unit to be fleeing a lot (the tied combat thing isn't much use since most foot tend to have musicians as well). :D The only other thing that they could be used against is cavalry, and they might do a decent job of taking that out.

Oguleth
07-05-2005, 23:28
Arxhon: Mounted Daemonettes existed before SoC came out, and the article they appeared in stated that they are to be treated as a daemon entry in the HoC book. So they are allowed.

About the list: I don`t like the army, but I have seen it`s type in action. And it works against a lot of armies, so you will win a lot of battles with it. As for changes in the list, I`d rather have another unit of mounted daemonettes instead of 2 spawn, and change the marauders into one spawn, so you have 2 spawns and 2 mounted daemonettes, and no horsemen. You won`t be able to flee with the mounted daemonettes, but they can get to shooty stuff really quick, can take on a lot of stuff in close combat, and so on.

arxhon
07-05-2005, 23:48
I stand corrected. :) *grumbles about army list lodifications made in an otherwise worthless magazine.*

the_night_reaper
08-05-2005, 04:52
I like the ideas suggested by oguleth.

I would give the characters a major make over I would give the lord coelc, gaze of the gods and pendant of slaanesh instead of the enchanted shield and gaze of the gods you have now. keep the great weapon. The enchanted shield will be useless as cannon balls will just take away the save you get from it and the 3+ward will be enough. I don't think you're going to be getting attacked back after you charge anyway. drop the sorceror he doesn't really make a huge impact on the game. for his points you can get another chariot with mos. Or you can get another exalted champion to go with the knight unit.

Also considr dropping the dragon in favour of a steed of slaanesh and a couple units of knights.

Valhalla
08-05-2005, 07:36
Hi,

First off, i'm pretty sure you can't use mounted Daemonettes in a non-Daemonic Legion army. The GW SoC FAQ states that new units must be specifically stated as "usable in an army of the standard type", and from what i can tell, mounted daemonettes are not.

I may be wrong, however. :)

I don't think dumping half your list into 3 characters is a very good idea, especialyl if you face an artillery heavy army like Dwarves. That dragon is going to be eating cannonballs from turn one.

The marauder horsemen unit is too small and fragile to be of any use. Against a standard foot unit of 16 models, they're going to have to do 4 wounds just to force a standard Ld test (that's assuming they take down a full rank), meaning they all have to hit and kill a model. They might be useful as flankers, but that's it. At any rate, the musician is a waste of points, unless you expect this unit to be fleeing a lot (the tied combat thing isn't much use since most foot tend to have musicians as well). :D The only other thing that they could be used against is cavalry, and they might do a decent job of taking that out.

Who uses cannons when playing dwarfs?

The empire player might use cannons, and then they hurt, but the list is so fast, that I can take the cannons out of game at turn 2.

arxhon, ever heard about fast cavalry? The can lure enemy in the trap by fleeing when charget and autorallying next turn. They can hold table quarters and are exellent flankers. Musician is there to help rallying and winning combats. Its only 6pts. I need models who can flee in charge reaction, because the mark of slaanesh makes units immune to psychology, and then they must always hold. And, the marauder horseman are so cheap, that i can sacrifice them for example to make knigths of khorne overrun at the wrong direction.

Arxhon: Mounted Daemonettes existed before SoC came out, and the article they appeared in stated that they are to be treated as a daemon entry in the HoC book. So they are allowed.

About the list: I don`t like the army, but I have seen it`s type in action. And it works against a lot of armies, so you will win a lot of battles with it. As for changes in the list, I`d rather have another unit of mounted daemonettes instead of 2 spawn, and change the marauders into one spawn, so you have 2 spawns and 2 mounted daemonettes, and no horsemen. You won`t be able to flee with the mounted daemonettes, but they can get to shooty stuff really quick, can take on a lot of stuff in close combat, and so on.

I think arxon think they are pleasureseekers. So, the mounted demonettes are allowed in normal HoC army.

Mounted demonettes are expensive in both money and points, and a single magic missile can take down their fighting effectivity. I know the are very fast, and they hit hard, but i still think that one unit is enought. Ill think about it.

Read what i writed about the marauder horseman at the start of the topic.

I need 3 spawn to receive enemy charges, and hold them up until the lord or exalted champion comes to finish the job.

I like the ideas suggested by oguleth.

I would give the characters a major make over I would give the lord coelc, gaze of the gods and pendant of slaanesh instead of the enchanted shield and gaze of the gods you have now. keep the great weapon. The enchanted shield will be useless as cannon balls will just take away the save you get from it and the 3+ward will be enough. I don't think you're going to be getting attacked back after you charge anyway. drop the sorceror he doesn't really make a huge impact on the game. for his points you can get another chariot with mos. Or you can get another exalted champion to go with the knight unit.

Also considr dropping the dragon in favour of a steed of slaanesh and a couple units of knights.

I would give the lord coelc. What this means? Can you explain? Golden eye of tzeentch?

Ever faced a seer council? Or summonhorde? Slann? Heavy magic-empire?

When this happens, its very important that you have a couple of scroll to stop the most important enemy spells (vanhels dance macabre, anyone?). And with 3 dices, you can dispel one spell on turn. I think chariots are a big risk, because if enemy have one or more str7 weapons, they are destroyed very early stage of game.

I can`t afford a second exalted champion. Hero slots are full (the dragon takes one).

The dragon hits very hard, causes terror, flies, breathes fire and are so tought, that can deal a lots of punishment before it dies. If the lord is killed, the dragon are still dangerous unit. If i put the lord on a steed of slaanesh, the first cannonball/magic missile will kill the steed and I dont want it to happen. With the dragon lord can smash a full ranked infantry unit when charges to front. With steed of slaanesh, it cant.

Keep the comments flowing.

Blackguard
08-05-2005, 08:13
I would give the lord coelc. What this means? Can you explain? Golden eye of tzeentch?

Crown Of Everlasting Conquest?

Oguleth
08-05-2005, 09:23
Just a note, fast cav does NOT autorally after fleeing from charges. They changed that entry in the back of the BRB in one of the annuals/chronicles (I think it was the 2002 one).

Having ONE fast cav unit won`t help you a lot.. LD8 rally failed, and they are off. Not that just one unit can get to do a lot of "trouble" with the flee and rally tactic either...

Valhalla
08-05-2005, 15:12
Just a note, fast cav does NOT autorally after fleeing from charges. They changed that entry in the back of the BRB in one of the annuals/chronicles (I think it was the 2002 one).

Having ONE fast cav unit won`t help you a lot.. LD8 rally failed, and they are off. Not that just one unit can get to do a lot of "trouble" with the flee and rally tactic either...

They are so cheap, that a failed rally test won`t cost me a lot (81 pts). I think its worth of it to get the enemy in charge range of the dragonlord or exalted champion.

Slyracoon
08-05-2005, 16:23
I would drop one spawn for another unit of marauder horsemen, you really need more than one unit of fast cavalry for them to have a major impact on the game. I can see how the spawn fit into your plan, but I think against the majority of armies that two would be enough. I would also drop the furies to boost your units of warhounds to 12 each. With them in three ranks, you can send them into combat with another unit like the knights to get outnumber and rank bonuses. Plus your list is so small you could really do with the extra numbers.

Sariel
08-05-2005, 16:46
Well, have you considered just giving your Chaos Lord a Berserker Sword? S7 is all well and good, but having anywhere from an extra 1-4 S5 attacks can't be too shabby either..

1) You could just drop the Enchanted Shield and the Gaze of the Gods.. after all, like you said, the Dragon is a pretty nasty threat by itself even if the Lord takes a cannonball in the face, and there really should'nt be anything left standing after a charge anyway.

2) Have you considered putting the Sorceror in the chariot? The Sorceror gets a massive boost in armour saves, and the chariot is now US5, which makes it even nastier.

3) If you're just going to park the guy in a forest with a pair of scrolls, why not just take a Bray Shaman? He's even cheaper!

4) The Chosen Knights are just plain mean. On the other hand, have you considered swopping them out for 2 units of 4 with nothing but a musician? 4 points more, and you now have 2 pretty scary units instead of just 1 really scary one.

Trading in hitting power for flexibility, which isn't all that bad since the Chosen might be hard but they are'nt going to be breaking fully-ranked infantry by themselves anyway. That, and sending them AND the Lord against one unit is plain overkill.

You could now use them to track down war machines - outside of a Hellblaster, there really isn't any war machine that can take down 4 Chaos Knights before they get smooshed, and its not as if you need to worry about panic tests.

Meanwhile, your Exalted Champion and Daemonettes support the Lord.

Set it up so they charge together on turn 3 instead of just barrelling in one turn 2.

arxhon
08-05-2005, 18:15
Who uses cannons when playing dwarfs?
The empire player might use cannons, and then they hurt, but the list is so fast, that I can take the cannons out of game at turn 2.

I've seen a few. That's all fine and well, but if the lord is gone, he doesn't need the cannons any more. ;)

Yes, i've heard of fast cavalry. No need to get snippy about it. :rolleyes: As Oguleth pointed out, there are flaws in your plan.

You're counting on people being dumb enough to charge a tiny unit of cavalry that are effectively useless. Could happen, people sometimes do dumb things in the heat of combat. :D Otherwise, unless you're expecting to face a lot of frenzied units, i wouldn't rely on it.

You might also want to consider giving them a banner instead of the musician for another 6 points and use them to attack small cavalry units like knights. They can do serious damage to medium and and even heavy cavalry with those flails, and tie them up for a turn or two. Like you said, they're cheap. They'd also be useful for knocking out war machines or flanking large tough units, but you've already got those angles covered.

I agree with Slyracoon's evaluation of the furies.

Those tiny units of warhounds aren't going to be very effective screens. I've seen that done, and they're invariably gone in the first turn, assuming that i'm shooting at them instead of, say, that big ass dragon with a target painted on his chest. You're putting a lot of reliance on being able to move first, and that the other army is going to move towards you.

See, when i see a cav-heavy army like yours, i place my units back as far as possible, and simply don't move, shooting your units all to hell with magic and missile fire. Cavalry isn't going to get to my line until at least turn 3 (longer if i'm using march blockers like infiltrators or flyers), and i'm going to be targeting that dragon right from the get go. I'd be stupid to close the gap.

On the other hand, your army is so tiny that i'm probably not going to worry about a dinky unit of knights and some randomly moving spawn. ;)