PDA

View Full Version : Charging units already engaged in close combat

Shadowfax
21-06-2009, 00:54
I'm sure this is in the BRB somewhere but I can't find it.

What happens when a unit charges an enemy who is already held in place by an allied unit in the same facing?

eg.

Unit A and B are controlled by Player 1. Unit C is controlled by Player 2.

In their turn, Unit C charges Unit A. The units are lined up so that the maximum amount of models in each unit are standing face-to-face. Both sides hold, and the combat continues.

In the next turn, Unit B wishes to charge Unit C to reinforce their allies, but they are in the same facing as Unit A. Are they:

a) unable to charge since Unit A is taking up all the real estate in the front facing of Unit C,
b) forced to hit the flank even though they are in the front facing, or
c) compelled to slide a certain number of models in Unit A along the battle-line in order to make room for themselves?

As always, page refs are appreciated

Tae
21-06-2009, 02:34
I'm sure this is in the BRB somewhere but I can't find it.

What happens when a unit charges an enemy who is already held in place by an allied unit in the same facing?

eg.

Unit A and B are controlled by Player 1. Unit C is controlled by Player 2.

In their turn, Unit C charges Unit A. The units are lined up so that the maximum amount of models in each unit are standing face-to-face. Both sides hold, and the combat continues.

In the next turn, Unit B wishes to charge Unit C to reinforce their allies, but they are in the same facing as Unit A. Are they:

a) unable to charge since Unit A is taking up all the real estate in the front facing of Unit C,
b) forced to hit the flank even though they are in the front facing, or
c) compelled to slide a certain number of models in Unit A along the battle-line in order to make room for themselves?

As always, page refs are appreciated

Apologies for lack of page references, I'm currently in the US and my brb is in the UK.

To answer the question, firstly neither b) nor c) are correct. If you are in a certain arc you can only charge in said arc. i.e. in this example unit in the front cannot charge the side. Also once models are contacted in combat they cannot 'slide over' to make room for their friends.

However, with that said, a lot of this will revolve around how wide the various units frontages are. Using your examples (Unit A charged Unit C, Unit B then wishing to charge Unit C) it depends on how wide Unit A and Unit C's frontages are.

If Unit C is wider than Unit A so that Unit B can see some of Unit C, then they have room to charge and so will engage the unengaged part of Unit C.

If Unit A is wider than Unit C, and therefore Unit B has no "real estate" to contact, then they cannot charge.

I'm sure someone else can draw diagrams to show you but basically if you want to charge a unit that's currently engaged you need room in the arc you're charging to contact with the enemy unit. No room = no charge.

Milgram
21-06-2009, 10:33
we shuffle and slide, but we do not shuffle und slide when already in combat. else as tae said. A<=C and space is available next to the combat, then B may charge. if A>C, then you normally cannot charge.

nosferatu1001
21-06-2009, 11:54
remember that corners are legal to charge art - if both are 125mm wide units and have aligned exactly then the corners of the unit can be charged, meaning the new charging unit will only get one model in.

AS noted you can never hit a facing you did not start in

Milneh
21-06-2009, 16:19
AS noted you can never hit a facing you did not start in

Unless the unit charging is an Empire Detachment