PDA

View Full Version : BoC tactics?

MoonFever
21-06-2009, 04:23
I've been searching for some decent tactics for Beasts of Chaos and didn't see any threads through all these pages. Not worthwhile for the time being? Should I wait until next year for the new book, and just revisit Vampires for the time being?

Some specific questions about BoC:

Doombull - worth it? is having Minos as core worthwhile? If it is, how big should the units be?

Bestigors - worth the points?

Is the fact that the herds are unruly (need 25% within charge range) offset their decent speed and combat ability?

SevenSins
21-06-2009, 10:09
I suggest you take a look here http://www.freewebs.com/herdstone/

Doombull is favoured by many for the Ld9, I prefer a beastlord as I like ambushing (even though it's unreliable)
Mino units do fine in 3's (no command) with GW's being the best allrounders, though 2weaps and Mark of Khorne has its uses

Harwammer
21-06-2009, 10:45
Check out the pinned topics in this (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showforum=1) BoC forum.

Keep in mind some info will be out of date as it may be from 1) before BoC had HoC taken away from them or 2) 6th ed where rules differences made beast herds work rather differently.

To answer your questions

Doombull - worth it? is having Minos as core worthwhile? If it is, how big should the units be?
yes, yes, 3 or 4

Bestigors - worth the points?
Generally no. They are too expensive to take as blocks and minotaurs fill the roll of small hitty units better. Khornegor can be an exception. Slaangor make decent but expensive non-combat bunkers for slaanesh shamans. Some people like putting doombulls into small units of bestigor for some static CR and a look out sir roll.

Is the fact that the herds are unruly (need 25% within charge range) offset their decent speed and combat ability?
Your confusing your terminology. Unruly is the 1/6 chance a herd will uncontrollably declare a charge on or move at an enemy. But yes, unruly and the '25% rule' do offset herds' speed and combat ability. As a guideline the larger the herd the smaller the charge range.

I hope this info helps.

iaguz
21-06-2009, 16:20
BoC tactics?

*Load up on magic. Either a doombull and tzeentch chariots and some bray shamans or a lvl 4 beastlord or great shaman. Like WoC you NEED magic, but don't feel like you shouldn't go overboard. All your lores aren't that great for the nuking you need them to do, so load the **** up.
* Doombull is kick ****. I run one and his ld9 is great. Use slaughterer's blade
* Bestigor are shitcovered shitbags with shittycentres. However a unit of 16 with warbanner makes a great unit for the doombull to lead from
* The following units are your friends: Large beast herds (13 ungors, 9 gors, FC, AHW and no shields), 5 warhounds, 4 Dragon Ogres with great weapons, Chaos Trolls (only w/ doombull though), chariots of tzeentch, perhaps a few centigor. The units called Chaos Ogres and Minotaurs and Shaggoth are for sucky people who suck.
* Move forward, charge liberally, magic things you don't like and get the **** in there hard and fast.
* The main things you cannot deal with are flying terror causers and immobile units like 25 Grave Guard + HoC + nearby Corpse Cart + Wight King BSB. Avoid like plague.

That's basically it. Enjoy!

MoonFever
22-06-2009, 01:03
iaguz...you made soda come out my nose...

Thanks all. I will also look at those links.

sulla
22-06-2009, 02:31
My tactics; hide in the deep, dark woods until our 7th ed book comes out. :evilgrin: Playing low Ld vs the current crop is no fun and I don't want to compromise my build to accomidate fear reducing marks, so I've retired mine untill the next batch of rules to see if they are worthwhile.

Isabel
22-06-2009, 02:49
The units called Chaos Ogres and Minotaurs and Shaggoth are for sucky people who suck.

I recently attended a large fantasy tourney and suprisingly a BoC player came in 2nd overall and some say it's debatable that he should have taken 1st. His list? From what I heard, Doombull (not sure about the other characters) 2 large herds and a ton of khorne minos in units of 3. Not sure at all on the specifics but from what I heard, the guys army crushed everyone he played and his list was tough as nails. Maybe he was just an exceptional player who can do these kinda things and still win.

decker_cky
22-06-2009, 21:09
Minotaurs, hounds, chariots and herds are the bread and butter of the list. Other things tend to be less common for various reasons.

But yeah, the Herdstone is a great place to learn about beasts. See my sig. :D