PDA

View Full Version : black coach

orange mash
21-06-2009, 09:39
dose any one use a black coach in there vc lists and if not why they sound cool

all your power dice belongs to us

Ultimate Life Form
21-06-2009, 09:41
All your Power Dice belong to you as well. It's annoying when it eats your allowance.

ICLRK625
21-06-2009, 09:49
Well, if you're careful (and lucky) it can be an amazing unit, but all too often I've seen an Ethereal, Flying Black Coach of madness get hit by a Dwarf Cannonball with some magic letter on it.

Amlesh
21-06-2009, 13:16
Black Coaches are actually pretty decent support units--roll them up alongside your main battle line with your wizards and watch it get powered up. Of course, it's a VC rare unit, which means you can't go wrong. They're all awesome.

EvC
21-06-2009, 16:19
They are great, but even with the 4+ ward save they're too easily blown up (and yes I know you can hide them but that usually means they're hiding behind terrain for half the game rather than earning their keep). As long as you're happy with the fact that in some games their entire job will be to suck up a cannonball shot and die, then go ahead. I've started using the Varghulf in place of the Coach more recently, the speediness and being able to charge static enemies on turn 2 is really nice.

artyboy
21-06-2009, 23:06
It's pretty hit or miss for the cost. It's an awesome model and I've owned one since 3rd edition so of course I'll field it every now and then. It's not bad. It's just that some other choices are better.

orange mash
21-06-2009, 23:21
Well, if you're careful (and lucky) it can be an amazing unit, but all too often I've seen an Ethereal, Flying Black Coach of madness get hit by a Dwarf Cannonball with some magic letter on it.

i have only played 1 list that uses cannons so when i do i will use 10 wraiths of my varghulf

Kevlar
22-06-2009, 03:28
It can be effective if there isn't any str 7+ shooting on the table.

bcr964
22-06-2009, 04:31
There's nothing wrong with the black coach in and of itself, its just that it is a little light on offense, and there is little point in taking one if you can use a varghulf, which you can. It does almost everything the coach can do, plus it hits harder over a prolonged time (good for the inevitable tide of the undead), and it moves faster, and it costs less. Sorry, but that cool coach can suck a varghulf.

Hulkster
22-06-2009, 10:08
except if you are smart the back coach will hit a lot harder than a vargulf

first turn you can normally take a hit in the magic phase, power up the BC and send it down a flank, keep it safe then when you main battle line hits, help fold it up with the BC in the flank

i use one with a vargulf, i think it works better than 2 vargulf, and as all my opponent have a lot of magic weapons and high leadership i find wrights and the banshee ineffective

ICLRK625
22-06-2009, 16:52
except if you are smart the back coach will hit a lot harder than a vargulf

first turn you can normally take a hit in the magic phase, power up the BC and send it down a flank, keep it safe then when you main battle line hits, help fold it up with the BC in the flank

i use one with a vargulf, i think it works better than 2 vargulf, and as all my opponent have a lot of magic weapons and high leadership i find wrights and the banshee ineffective

That's the truth, but remember, some armies have no trouble hitting the Black Coach with high strength attacks no matter where you put it. For example, Skaven Warp Lightning Cannons (potentially at least).

Hulkster
22-06-2009, 19:31
thats true

but against elves of any type, and daemons it works wonders, far better than a vargulf

sulla
22-06-2009, 21:49
thats true

but against elves of any type, and daemons it works wonders, far better than a vargulfI agree. They are a real challenge to deal with. At the end of the day, it's like all the VC rares; Fun, balanced, changes the way the entire list works slightly, enemies can kill them if prepared for them. IMO, mix your rare choices regularly and enjoy all of them.

Spirit
23-06-2009, 02:55
All your Power Dice belong to you as well. It's annoying when it eats your allowance.

I find the annoyance quelled somewhat when your lost power dice turn into an ethereal-flying-death-monster.

Spirit
23-06-2009, 02:59
There's nothing wrong with the black coach in and of itself, its just that it is a little light on offense, and there is little point in taking one if you can use a varghulf, which you can. It does almost everything the coach can do, plus it hits harder over a prolonged time (good for the inevitable tide of the undead), and it moves faster, and it costs less. Sorry, but that cool coach can suck a varghulf.

This is only true before the coach powers up. Which is usually by about turn 3.

Also, running it next to a mage almost certainly helps your magic phase.