PDA

View Full Version : ULF´s Battle Report #1 - Day of the Lizardmen

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:46
Hello all and welcome to the one and only Ultimate Life Form’s very first battle report! I thought I’d give it a shot and write one myself. I hope you enjoy!

This is from a series of games we played on Tuesday, 2nd of June, and was intended to be a micro-tournament which for a number of reasons didn’t work (allegedly, one of them was that I took far too long, but what can I say, it was the first time I played a list like this and it demanded careful decision-making, and also I had to note down everything, but that is beside the point).

I am looking forward to this. When commenting, keep in mind that our group consists of a seasoned tournament pro, myself who puts his focus in painting rather than playing and a rather noobish player who started only a few weeks ago, so any “are you stupid” comments that sometimes crop up in such threads from time to time are not helpful at all and completely misplaced. This is about fun. If you have nothing helpful to say, say nothing at all, or this will be my last batrep and since some members complained about lack of interest, this would be absolutely counterproductive.

Next, let me introduce to my list. The other players promised to mail me theirs as well, but of course, no one did. If there is interest and they can actually be bothered to do it, I will include them as well. Here goes...

Slann Mage-Priest
Focus of Mystery – knows all Spells
The Focused Rumination – extra Dice
Soul of Stone – reroll Miscasts
BSB
Itxi Grubs
Bane Head
Power Stone x3

Scar Veteran
Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
Great Weapon
Light Armor
Shield

L2 Skink Priest, mounted on Engine of the Gods
Plaque of Tepok
Glyph Necklace

L2 Skink Priest
Rod of Storms

20 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers

11 Skinks

20 Temple Guard
Full Command
Blood Statuette of Spite

5 Chameleon Skinks

1999 pts

As pointed out, this list was completely experimental and not meant to be competitive. Now we decided to use rules for buildings and legendary places, which we had never done before. I thought it was a bad idea, but hey – why complain about such a trivial matter? We let the dice decide who’d go first, and after everything was set it was time to rock.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:48
First, we rolled for the legendary place ind it was found that it would allow the one who held it to reroll rally tests.

Then, it was time to roll for Spells. The enemy had one L3 Lordy Mage who took Lore of Beasts and ended up with
The Bears Anger
The Oxen Stands
The Crow's Feast

Then there was a normal L1 Mage who took
Tree Singing

My Slann took
Lore of Heavens

Engine of the Gods rolled
Second Sign of Amul
Forked Lightning
Uranon’s Thunder Bolt

Priest rolled
Portent of Far
Second Sign of Amul

Happy with the selection of powerful Spells, it was now time to set up the troops. I got the first go.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:49
My very first action was having the Slann claim the tower. After that, I moved the Skinks towards the antique excavation site to claim the legendary place.

After a few more mvements, it was time for what I had been looking forward to the most – the Magic Phase. First, the EotG activated the Portent of Warding, for I have learned to fear the power of Wood Elf bows.
L2 Priest cast Second Sign, which was left through and subsequently would grant me 1 reroll.
Next, EotG cast a Forked Lightning on the Wood Elf Warriors which came but what was sadly dispelled. Then, EotG cast Uranon’s on the Glade Riders (for the ignore armor part) which again succeeded, but a dispel scroll put a quick end to it. I was a little miffed that my cool Magic hadn’t done anything up to this point, but it was far from over for my pitiful enemy.
The undisputed Master of Magic in the Warhammer World, it was now the Slann Mage-Priests turn. He cast Forked Lightning on the WE Warriors, which came on 10. The enemy tried to dispel it (which was later pointed out to have been a mistake) and failed. My triumph was short-lived though as I rolled a 1 for hits. Still, it wounded, and my first victim dropped. Next, it was Uranon’s time. Slann cast it on Glade Riders, came with 16, rolled a 5 and wiped out 3 Riders. I used my reroll to up this to 4 casualties. Now my opponent wanted to know what Spells I had left. I said the only useful one was Comet of Cassandora. The enemy cheered because I had only one die left, and even with the Slann’s extra die, it was near impossible to cast. Stoically, I had the Slann eat a Power Stone to increase the number of dice to four. My plan worked and the dice added up to 13, forcing out the (as I realized) last dispel scroll.
I thought this a good time to fire out all my Bound Items as well. Skink Priest used Rod of Storm which she could no longer dispel on the WE Warriors, rolled a lucky 6 and killed 4. Next, I used the Blood Statuette of Spite on her L1 Mage (because the other one had MR and might have dispelled it). The Mage lost a wound, but annoyingly passed the second test. All this was accompanied by snide comments about stupid Power Dice restrictions on tournaments. Now as the last surprise, I activated the Charm of the Jaguar Warrior to have the Scarvet cast Shadow Steed on himself. As it couldn’t be dispelled, I got a free flying movement and decided to go for a risk: I charged the til now unharmed Warriors on the hill. Of course that meant he had to make it through a stand and shoot reaction, which was the risky part. However, he was hit only 3 times, wounded once and his 3+ AS easily shrugged that one off, too.
After that, my Magic Phase was over, and the opponent could finally take the well-earned Panic checks. Now you have to know that this particular opponent has earned a reputation for failing each and every Ld test with her cowardly Elves, and it held true this time as well. While the WE Warriors didn’t bother, the remaining Glade Rider turned tail and fled. He was subsequently removed as a casualty for not being able to rally anymore (which was again a mistake because of the possibility of The Oxen Stands, but this time from Mr. Tournament Know-it-all).

After that, it was time for the unexpected Close Combat Phase. Scarvet killed 2 WE Warriors and wasn’t hit back, thereby exactly countering the enemy’s boni of outnumber and one rank. It was a draw. Now my turn was over. Looking at the battlefield, I felt a bit sorry for oblitterating half the army in turn 1, but the game was far from over yet.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:49
Some enemy troops moved towards me, while others chose to hide in the dark.

During Magic Phase, The Lordy character tried casting The Crow’s Feast on my Skinks – and actually managed to roll a triple 1.:rolleyes: She had a Magic Item which would have allowed her to reroll one die – but since it was triple 1...
This resulted in the Mage taking a S4 hit which turned into a wound.

Next it was time for the shooting phase. I was very confident because I had disabled almost her entire shooting on my turn, but nonetheless, her Warriors opened fire on my poor Skink Skirmishers. 5 hits, 4 wounds. Now it was the EotG’s turn to do its stuff. After the Ward Saves, only 2 Skinks died. Next, she informed me that her horned warrior character guy near the woods would use a Magic Item, Hail of Arrows or what it is called, on my Skinks. Managed to pull off 10 arrows, hit 9 times, wounded 8. After my EotG intervened, only 3 Skinks actually died. Then she fired at my Chameleons and killed one. The Lordy Mage, as always, missed. Then shooting was over, and all my units passed their panic checks.

In close combat, the Elves had the first go and hit once, even wounded with their puny strength, but a 2+ AS quickly put an end to this threat. Enraged, the Scarvet hacked away and killed 3 Warriors. I won combat by 2, but for a change, the Elves held the line (though it was a close call, she rolled a 6).

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:50
After slightly readjusting the positions of my troops, I went straight into the Magic Phase. Again, I used the Portent of Warding for these convenient Ward Saves.
Skink Priest again cast Second Sign which wasn’t dispelled and allowed for 1 reroll.
Then the EotG took over and tried to cast a Forked Lightning on the guys in the forest, but I ended up with my first miscast. The Skink Priest took a S2 hit (which of course, despite Ward Save, wounded him) and lost all dice.
Now the Slann had to fix it. He cast a Forked Lightning on the same guys with 9 which was dispelled, and an Uranon’s of which he didn’t match the difficulty (8). I didn’t want to use the Itxi Grubs on a Spell that, as happened in the past, might cause only one hit that won’t even wound, so I did not use them. The plan was to keep them in case of a failed Comet attempt. Accordingly, the Slann next cast the Comet, this time without Power Stone because I still had enough dice in the pool from the Engine’s aborted Magic. To my great dismay, the Slann miscast as well!!! Now the other guy got really excited because he “had never seen a Slann roast himself”, but I remained calm because I had Soul of Stone (in my understanding, it can be used to reroll double 1 since the reroll of course takes place before the result is applied and overrides the first effect, otherwise, if rerolling a failed Armor Save, you’d still suffer a wound from the first failed attempt). However, it wasn’t necessary to use it as the Slann too took a S2 hit but this time wasn’t wounded and lost all his remaining dice, but since he had none left anyway, it didn’t matter.

Now Magic Phase was over, and grudgingly I realized I didn’t cause a single victim with my 1000 pts of casting power. This was obviously to counterbalance the insane kill ratio from my first turn, so I didn’t feel guilty anymore. Next, my Skinks and Chameleons opened fire on her few remaining WE Warriors and poisoned 4, leaving one who heroically passed his Panic test.

In close combat, the Elves didn’t even hit the frenzied killing machine that still beset them, and the Scarvet took the opportunity and crushed another 3 of the lot. Again I won by 2, but the Elves still refused to die and actually rolled insane courage (which really was a little insane as we would later see).

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:50
The Dryads charge my Skink Skirmishers, who in turn flee their wrath (8”). Her troops are coming at me from all sides now, and I realize I’m horribly outnumbered.

During Magic Phase, she again casts The Crow’s Feast which I manage to dispell. Then she attempts to move the wood 3 times, which I easily dispel with the bucket of Dispel Dice I still have at my disposal. Magic’s over.

Next, the lone Warrior shoots at my Chameleons and misses. The guys in the woods shoot at my poor Engine of the Gods, randomized as follows: Steg 1, Crew 3, Priest 1. Of course, the Steg isn’t wounded, and the Priest fortunately makes good use of his 2+ AS, but despite having the same AS AND a Ward Save from the EotG, one Skink sadly dies. Now I’m mad. Could have been the Priest though. The Treeman uses its roots to strangle my Skinks and rolls a 4. 3 Skinks die, but the rest passes the Panic check.

In close combat, one Elf hits but doesn’t wound. The Scarvet hits 3 times but despite S5 wounds only once, cutting down one Warrior. She loses combat by 1, and now finally she proves her title by failing the break test. The last Warrior flees, but I don’t want to pursue because then I’d have to take a charge from her Wardancers, and I’d probably not survive that. Restrain successful.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:51
Well, what can I say, my regular Skinks passed their Terror test and the Skink Skirmishers passed the Rally test. I’m currently building a reputation of always passing my Ld tests with Ld6 Skinks as opposed to my opponent who always fails such tests with Ld8 Elves.

During Magic Phase, after declaring Portent of Warding again, the Priest once again cast Second Sign, and I was informed by my opponent that she wouldn’t bother to ever dispel it, especially since I always only got 1 reroll out of it as indeed was the case again.
The Engine of the Gods cast Forked Lightning and Uranon’s and managed to screw up on both.
The Slann followed in suit and also wasn’t able to get these two spells through. I used the second Power Stone, and to compensate for the prior bad luck, I finally got the Comet off without it being dispelled. I placed the counter between the Wardancers (to bypass their annoying MR) and the headlessly fleeing Warrior.
As my last action, I activated the Jaguar Charm again and had the Scarvet join his unit again because I felt he would be needed in the upcoming battle against the Wild Riders.

During Shooting Phase, the Chameleons fired away at the Dryads and dropped one. Since there no longer was any close combat, my turn ended – not as successful as I had hoped, but read on and gasp in awe as...

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:51
...the Comet strikes and hits everything within 6”. The poor fleeing Warrior had no chance from the begining and was completely annihilated by the blast. Next, the Wardancers got their share. I rolled the average 7 and had to put up with the fact that after wounding and Ward Saves and all, only 3 Wardancers died. I had expected a little more and grudgingly wrote down the result when I heard something I simply couldn’t believe: Remember I told you she has a reputation of never passing any Ld tests? And rightly so, as she failed her Panic check and the Wardancer unit with Lord and all fled from the table! I had thought my Magic Phase useless, but the single Comet I got through actually net me around 500 pts! It’s the kind of moments I live for!

Next, the Wild Riders charged my Saurus Warriors who passed the required Fear test. The Dryads charged my Skink Skirmishers again who fled 9” and throuh my own troops but didn’t cause panic for being below US5.

In the Magic Phase, she again tried moving the wood and through some terrible dispelling luck actually succeeded twice.

Then her remaining archers again opened fire on my EotG, hitting Steg 3, Crew 1 and of course again Priest 1, but luckily, no wounds were caused. Next, the evil Treeman used its entangling roots on my poor Skinks and managed to roll a 10. 9 Skinks were wounded, but they were within range of the EotG and took a Ward Save. Afterwards, only 4 died. Her comment was, “you don’t do 1/3 chance Ward Saves, you do 50%”.

Next, it was time for close combat. My champion stepped forward and issued a challenge in hopes of binding her Hero, but only the Champion answered the call. The battle was short and bloody. The rider hit the Saurus Brave with S5 and wounded him. He died cursing my enemy with his last breath. Next, 3 Wild Riders teamed up on my heroic Scarvet who previously had crushed an entire unit all by himself. Riders and mounts together managed to cause 2 wounds, but my 2+ AS saved them (and the day). Then her dreaded Hero and Flame Stagger started hacking away at the unit but caused only one casualty. Then I started my counterattack and two warriors and the heroic Scarvet tore two of her Wild Riders to shreds. Now for the results. With my boni, I won combat by 3. She took a break test and... you guessed it, she rolled a 10. I pursued but didn’t catch them. End of turn.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:52
After slightly adjusting my positions, mainly turning the Saurus Block to prepare for the imminent Dryad charge, it was time for the main event.

Priestly cast Second Sign and for a change granted me 3 rerolls. Next was Forked Lightning on the guys in the woods which dropped 4 and caused a Panic test on her Hero which she later passed.
The Slann tried Forked Lightning as well but messed up. As usual, I was saving my Itxi Grubs for the Comet. Then he barely pulled off Uranon’s on the Dryads by exactly matching difficulty. He rolled a 6 for wounds and most unexpectedly killed 4. Then I cast the Comet and again most unexpectedly it was with Irresistable Force. I placed the counter behind her Dryads because they were the most imminent threat.

During Shooting Phase, my Chameleons shot at the Dryads, poisoning one. I used my rerolls and got another one. No close combat, so my turn was over.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:52
The Comet check led to an additional counter being placed. The Dryads charged my Saurus Block head-on. I took the charge and passed the Fear test. The Wild Riders, as was to be expected, failed their Rally test and fled towards the table edge, barely avoiding it.

The Treeman again used its roots on my Skink Skirmishers and this time rolled 8. Even the Engine of the Gods could do nothing to prevent their demise.

The Dryads attacked but fluffed most of their attacks, only killing one Saurus. The unit struck back, also killing one Dryad in the process. My Scarvet decided to do nothing this time. In the end, I won combat by 3 and my opponent, of course, rolled a glorious 11 (that’s right, not 1+1, 11.) The Dryads fled 5” and the Saurus Block pursued exactly 5”. Good riddance. Since the only thing left to hit for the Comet was my own Saurus Block, I chose to discontinue it before it nuked my own troops.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:53
I prepared my Saurus Block and Ancient Stegadon to face the Treeman.

Because the enemy could not really shoot anymore, the EotG chose to go with Arcane Configuration for a change.
Priest cast Second Sign and as usual got 1 reroll.
The EotG cast an Uranon’s on the Treeman in hopes of bypassing its Armor and Ward Saves, but only a 2 was rolled and no wounds inflicted.
Next, the Slann tried a Forked Lightning on the Wild Riders again but it was a miscast. Once again, he took a S2 hit that didn’t wound and lost his dice. I chose not to use a Power Stone after that because there really wasn’t any good target left.

Next, my Skinks threw their Javelins at the Treeman and against all likelihood inflicted a poison wound on it. The Chameleons tried the same and while I hoped they would repeat the miracle, their two poison wounds were in fact saved. After that, my turn was over.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:53
While I was hoping she’d screw her Ld test again, the Wild Riders actually passed their Rally test and reformed to take me on once more. The Treeman used its roots on my poor Chameleon Skinks, but rolled only 2, killing one. The Panic check was passed again. Nothing else happened.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:54
The Saurus block and the Engine of the Gods chose to charge the Treeman that finally decided to show up to end this thread once and for all, passing the required Terror test. The Treeman chose a shoot reaction and tried crushing the Ancient Steg with its roots, rolling 8, randomized as Steg 6, crew 1, Priest 1. Again, she managed to hit my Priest! Luckily, however all hits failed to wound or were prevented by the various Ward Saves. The Priest’s Glyph Necklace really paid now because without it, he’d been dead! In order to punish the impudent Forest Spirit, he chose Burning Alignment, thereby activating the laser cannon of the gods which I hoped would wipe it out without breaking a sweat. But his aim was off; he hit only two times, thereof wounding once and this single wound was even saved via a 6 on the accursed Spirit Save! I couldn’t believe it!

During Magic Phase, the Priest cast Portent of Far on the Saurus Block which was allowed by the enemy.
Next, the Slann cast Forked Lightning on the Wild Riders despite their feared MR which my opponent responded to with a misdispel. Killed only one Rider though.
Encouraged by my success, the Slann cast Uranon’s Thunder but this time it was a miscast... AGAIN! The 6 came up, allowing the enemy to cast one of her spells for free. The only thing she could do though was moving the wood which I generously didn’t bother to dispel. After that, I decided it was time to stop before the Slann would proceed roasting himself during the last turn.

Next it was time to chop up some wood. The Saurus, genetically engineered elite warriors of the Old Ones... did nothing. The Scarvet, epitome of fightiness... did nothing. What a waste. Now my hopes were with the EotG. Its impact hits caused a single wound only, and any attacks of the Skinks bounced off its hide. Great. Thankfully, the wound had ensured that the Treeman wouldn’t be able to win, and in case of a draw, I had the musician. Now it struck back, 2 attacks against the Saurus block and 3 against the poor Priest. He really led a dangerous live. But through an outburst of sheer luck, he survived! The Treeman just killed a single Saurus Warrior and lost the fight by quite some points. Now you may know that this Forest Spirit is Stubborn Ld8, so her chances were not bad despite losing so highly. But guess what? She messed up AGAIN! The Treeman fled and the Stegadon pursued 12”... a year’s worth of firewood! The Saurus Warriors tried to restrain themselves in order not to expose the Priest whom I had taken out of the unit in order not to have him in a fight with a crazy Treeman. However, for a change, I screwed a Ld8 test as well despite Cold Blooded and was forced to pursue, leaving the Priest without cover. This was a last redemption for my unlucky opponent.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:54
The Wild Riders charged my poor Priest. I couldn’t flee because he had no chance to rally anymore, so all I could do was take the charge and hope for a miracle. Of course, the Priest didn’t stand a chance and was cut down. End of game.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:55
The outcome was quite obviously a Massacre. I had only lost a few Skinks and the poor Priest. I won this battle by a mixture of superior experience, incredible saving throws and my opponent’s cursed Ld dice. But it is also worth mentioning that I too had my fair share of hardships, miscasting all the time and the Burning Alignment doing next to nothing to the Treeman despite being taylored to take down Forest Spirits. When a Skink with a javelin for 5 pts manages to do the same level of damage as the 400 pts EotG, you know it’s not your day! All being said, this game was not representative, she usually performs better, it’s probably because she had only faced my Carnosaur before and no experience with a Slann list, therefore being overly cautious. It’ll fall into place in time.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:56
Next, it was time to face my archnemesis. We rolled for the legendary place and we found out that it was just a bunch of Victory Points lying around.

My Slann took
Lore of Light

Engine of the Gods rolled
Forked Lightning
Uranon’s Thunder Bolt
Comet of Cassandora

Priest rolled
Portent of Far
Comet of Cassandora

Once again, got the first go which I hoped would help me.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:56
I pressed forward with all my troops in hope of getting my bombs right into his lines.

Priest cast Comet of Cassandora which hardly surprising didn’t work for a L2.
The EotG cast Forked Lightning on his Carrion and rolled 3 which inflicted one wound. Next, I tried to roast them with Uranon’s but while coming it only rolled a 2 and did zilch.
The Slann had to take over with Burning Gaze and rolled a 5, incinerating the hated Carrion once and for all. Since he had a bunch of dice left and had nothing else to do, he cast Guardian Light on my Saurus block because I have come to fear the Panic checks the catapult inflicts, even with my Cold Blooded rule. My opponent didn’t bother to dispel any of my stuff because he already knew I had a bunch of nasty bounds up my sleeve... curse you!

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:57
His chariots moved forward and as usual he would try to corner me.

The catapult aimed at my Slann but the shot deviated greatly and hit nothing. The cursed Skeletons shot at my Chameleons and always hit on 5, so their cool rules did nothing. 2 died but subsequently passed their panic check.

Now for my worst nightmare, the TK magic phase. For some reason, I cannot learn how to counteract it... or to put it into consideration. And AGAIN I forgot to plan forward and take actions against his most often used tactics, the Tomb Scorpion assassin squad. Actually, I wanted to screen my EotG with Skinks, but somehow, I forgot it... my bad. Now the opponent spammed Incantations like mad and I did my best to dispel but couldn’t stop them all. Both Scorpions charged my EotG and I already was about to kiss my Priest goodbye.

In close combat, the accursed Scorpions directed all of their 8 attacks at my poor Priest. Now the cool stuff happens... they messed up big-time! Never underestimate a 2+ AS! Still, 2 wounds made it through – now watch the Glyph Necklace and its trusty 5+ Ward kick in! The Priest emerged completely unharmed! That thing is worth its weight in gold... oh, wait, it actually is made from gold! At least mine is! Now it was time to show the Tomb Kings what an Ancient Stegadon can do! Well, actually, it did... nothing. But the vengeful Skink crew actually managed to inflict 2 wounds on one of the Scorpions! With sadistic glee, I watched it crumble from combat res. Oh, and its friend was hurt as well. That’s what you get for messing with me! My opponent threw an epic tantrum after this.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:58
I advanced my troops towards his lines, but as everything was marchblocked, I didn’t get very far.

At the beginning Magic of my Magic Phase, it was time to exact revenge on the remaining Euscorpius. The lucky Skink Priest fired up the Laser of the Gods and blasted the thing into oblivion. I tried casting the Comet two times, but to no avail. Stupid Dispel Scrolls. The Slann set his Burning Gaze on the Bone Giant that was slowly approaching, but he rolled a1 and failed to wound! As a last act of spite, he cast a Cleansing Flare which came irresistable and took 5 wounds from his other Carrion and 4 from his cavalry – 1 short of total destruction. My Scarvet wanted to activate his Jag Charm, but it was dispelled.

Finally, the Skinks shot at the Carrion and put it out of comission, and the Chameleons fired at his unit of archers and killed 2.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:58
The Bone Giant charged my Skinks who had no choice but to flee out of its range. His Chariots charged my trap Skinks who failed their Fear test. The archers charged my Chameleons and they too chose to flee.

During Magic Phase, he let his accursed Catapult shoot at my poor Temple Guard. As usual, the template landed directly on the head of my Slann. That didn’t count for nothing of course, as my trusty Slann passed his “watch out my Lord” roll. Nonetheless the catastrophic impact smashed 3 Temple Guard warriors. As they were directed by their Lord, however, they were immune to Psych and weren’t unsettled by a few burning skulls. Of course, he used the rest of the Magic Phase to send his Giant after me! I hate this thing! Oh, and he healed back his Cavalry.

In close combat, his Chariots completely oblitterated my Skinks as was to be expected. They will be dearly remembered. Next was the accursed Bone Giant against the EotG. With his endless attacks, he turned the poor Priest and an innocent crew member into sashimi faster than I could look. A brave Skink struck back and managed to inflict a wound on the undead construct, but to no avail as the monstrosity had already succeeded in its devious scheme. The loss of the poor Priest was heavily mourned over while the bastard won combat by 1. Yet the Ancient Stegadon refused to give in and held its ground. Still, it was a heavy blow and screwed me totally up.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:59
Thankfully, the Cold Blooded Saurus Warriors passed their Ld test and took the opportunity to declare a charge on the Bone Giant. The fleeing Skinks rallied and with renewed courage, the Saurus Warriors passed their Fear test and charged. Due to heavy wheeling, they weren’t able to complete the charge though.

I cursed my luck and went straight into the Magic Phase which had been supposed to be my trademark, but with the EotG gone, I was heavily crippled. On the bright side, however, the tiny Skink Priest managed to pull off the Comet of Cassandora with IF! He smugly placed the counter between the catapult and the unit containing the Hierophant.
Next, the Slann cast Burning Gaze on the Hierophant’s unit in hopes of whittling them down over the course of the game. A few dropped, but it was of little concern to him. Dazzling Brightness on the Giant was allowed, and he let through a Cleansing Flare which should have had some major effect... However, his Giant was left unscathed and his cavalry only lost a single wound! Surely I must be the most unlucky Warhammer player ever!
As I realized the noose was tightening, I decided to use my bound items because otherwise, I wouldn’t have a chance to use them anymore. The Scarvet used the Jag Charm in hopes of charging some Chariots with his Great Weapon, but it was dispelled. Next, the Priest used the Rod of Storms to roast another 3 Skeletons... which wasn’t what I had hoped for. I realized that if I still wanted a slight chance of winning, I had to finally get rid of his Hierophant once and for all. He had only one Dispel Die left, and since it was the last chance, I decided to go for a risk. I activated the Blood Statuette of Spite, targetting his Hierophant. It’s a 5+ bound spell... So has a 2/3 chance of succeeding... guess what he rolls? 5 of course, what else! At this moment, I knew I was doomed.

Since no shooting had to be done, I went directly into close combat. The Skinks attacked the stupid Bone Giant and even hit 3 times, wounding once, but the AS stopped it all. In return, the Giant hit 4 (*four*) times despite Dazzling Brightness being in effect and killed off the rest of the crew. The Stegadon hit back two times but everything was saved. While it had lost the fight, it still refused to give up and stubbornly held its ground.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 02:59
Comet didn’t arrive and got a counter.The Skeletons charged the Chameleons who fled 10”, luring them ever farther from the scene.

Now of course it was the perfect opportunity for the King’s Chariot unit to pull off a magical flank charge at my Saurus Warriors which he did. The Hierophant’s unit was healed back and the Catapult fired at my Temple Guard and killed a few more... I have never seen this thing misfire in my entire life... SERIOUSLY!

Next was close combat. Since the Skink Priest in the corner of the unit was doomed anyway, he thought it a good idea to challenge the King. While there were no impact hits to speak of, the magic flail of the Tomb King utterly devastated the Skink and left him with maximum overkill bonus. The rest of the unit took care of the Saurus Warriors. Only a single Warrior was left to strike back and caused a wound, but in vain. The brave Warriors lost by 5 and broke from combat. They were destroyed by the pursuing Chariots which crashed into my Steg’s flank. I hate these stupid Chariots! While the impact hits did have, uh... little impact on it, the King’s magic Flail bashed it to bits. There wasn’t even a combat result. The only good thing was that the Skinks passed their Panic check. What an absolutely devastating turn that was!

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:00
The Priest lay dead, the Comet gone. The Chameleons rallied and I continued my march towards the enemy lines.

The Slann cast Burning Gaze at the Hierophant again in slight hopes of whittling his unit down and hopefully finishing him off with a Cleansing Flare. The Burning Gaze did succeed and killed 4 Skeletons, but the Cleansing Flare was dispelled... The Skinks shot at the Chariots and against all likelihood inflicted two wounds on the King! But I know TK, everything short of total annihilation won’t stop these guys...

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:00
The Giant charged the Skinks and the Chariot charged the Temple Guard, both of whom took the charges.

The Magic Phase saw the Tomb Kings and his Chariots healed back to max capacity, and the Skeletons shot my Chameleons into submission.

In close combat, the Skinks, despite being utterly massacred, actually held their ground by use of Insane Courage! The Temple Guard was slaughtered as well and lost combat by 6, but they stubbornly refused to retreat.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:01
The Slann cast Burning Gaze on the Hierophant’s unit which did absolutely nothing. Next, Dazzling Brightness was cast on the King’s unit which to my surprise was left through, reducing their WS to 1. If his plan had been to save his dice for the Cleansing Flare, he was heavily disappointed because the Slann managed to roll a 23(!) for casting value, making it more than irresistible. This time, it nuked him for good, but it was too late already. The Cavalry who had faced death a few times already AGAIN take only one wound. The Hierophant’s unit lost 5 members, the accursed Giant got 3 wounds and the Chariots another 3.

In close combat with the Chariots, despite or because of the Dazzling Brightness, no side manged to scratch the other. With all my boni, I actually managed to win combat by 1 and saw the Chariots crumble a little. The Bone Giant however put an end to any Skink resistance once and for all.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:01
Now things heated up a little. The Bone Giant made a magical rear charge against my Temple Guard, putting the Slann directly into combat the first time and was subsequently healed back. Shield of the Old Ones however did a good job protecting him and the Slann only took a single wound. Still, I lost by a great deal and had to rely on my Temple Guard’s stubbornness which again served me well.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:02
Now all that was left for me was spamming spells like mad. Dazzling Brightness failed. Next, the Slann cast Healing Energy on himself which was allowed and healed his wound back. The Cleansing Flare I had put my hopes on was a miscast. I rolled 6 which would have allowed an enemy spellcaster to cast one of his spells, but since TK have no spellcasters, nothing happened. Lastly, I cast Pha’s Illu on the Slann to turn him into a worthy adversary for the Bone Giant, but sadly, it was dispelled. With this travesty of a Magic Phase, I could do naught but watch them slaughter me again. I lost, but this time the stubbornness of the Temple Guard failed me. Thankfully, the Slann was BSB and used this ability to great effect, saving himself from a horrible fate.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:02
Like this wasn’t enough already, the Cavalry I had failed to kill multiple times made a flank charge. Everything hacked away at the Slann and his Temple Guard, but much to my amusement, they were unable to kill the last Temple Guard, keeping the Stubborn special rule in effect. While again I lost, the Slann and his last bodyguard didn’t break. The Slann survived the battle unscathed, and my opponent blew his top. That was my small triumph.

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2009, 03:03
This game was a massacre as well, but this time not to my favor. Still, I rate it as a good game as my opponent wasn’t able to destroy me to the last man as he usually does (normally by turn 5), so I think I put up a good fight. I was even lauded by him for ridding the world of his Scorpions and Carrions which I usually don’t manage. So after all, I think it was also a small victory for me.

The only thing that annoyed me was that I had paid 30 pts for those Itxi Grubs and didn't have a single chance to do something useful with them. Maybe next time...

Gabacho Mk.II
22-06-2009, 05:24
Great reports!!! :skull:

Thanks for sharing!!!

Dungeon_Lawyer
22-06-2009, 05:49
These reports were excellant ULF. Itxi grubs dont so much for me either-maybe drop them for a scroll or something??

CaptBenedict
24-06-2009, 17:40
Thank you so much for your efforts in producing such an awesome battle report. I'm only just starting to get used to the new Lizzie rules and your posts are a great inspiration and reference for me.

Keep it up, because I will surely be looking out for more.

nasty_little_hobbit
24-06-2009, 18:15
Great reports with excelent detail=]
I have to admit I was rooting for the Wood elves in the first game but new it wouldnt be pretty when I saw the amount of pd you had, either way congrats on that massacre.
Havn't completely read all the tk report yet but enjoying what I have done so far ( aghh soo much writing) but shame on the loss.
Keep 'em coming.

Ultimate Life Form
24-06-2009, 19:12
Thank you all ever so much.:)

I didn't expect that much enthusiasm. If it continues like that, I may very well provide more reports in the future.

Btw when in the intro I said I didn't want any snide comments, I didn't mean you can't say there is something you don't like about the report. I'm not above criticism and want this to be as good as possible, so any comments are welcome. It's just the generic trolling type that bashes everything without offering any advice that I don't want here.

In hindsight, maybe I should put a little more structure into the individual posts. Consider it done.