PDA

View Full Version : lizardmen 2250 - feedback?

meadus
22-06-2009, 21:27
Slann
-higher state of consciousness, unfathomable presence, harrowing scrutiny, focused rumination
-cupped hands of the old ones, plaque of dominion
520 pts

saurus scar veteran on cold one
-piranha blade, enchanted shield
155 pts

skink priest level 2
-ancient stegadon with EotG
-dispel scroll, ixti grubs
440 pts

skink priest level 2
-dispel scroll
125 pts

skink skirmishers X 10
70 pts

skink skirmishers X 10
70 pts

skink skirmishers X 10
70 pts

terradons X 4
120 pts

cold one riders X 5 with musician
185 pts

cold one riders X 5 with musician
185 pts

salamander hunting pack +1 handler
80 pts

razordon hunting pack X 3 +1 handler
230 pts

power dice: 11 dispel dice: 7
2250 points

Necromancy Black
23-06-2009, 01:25
Interesting list, I like it. But I highly reakonmend both musicians and stander bearers for COR.

I would say drop all the extra handlers on the Razerdons and make both musicians standard bearers.

Eulogy2
23-06-2009, 13:49
personally id rather have a standard than a musician. failing leadership tests shouldnt be a concern with cold blooded LD 8, and you should be picking targets that your calvary can crush on the charge, or line them up on the flank, so i wouldnt worry about ties either in combat. the standard however is usually a solid bet as a +1 bonus is always useful, but not always needed either. if you need easy points ive had very good luck running naked cold one rider units just the same.

all that being said you have no real rank and file troops, which can hurt severly. Saurus are easily one of the best core in the game and i ALWAYS take atleast a unit of 18 of them. that many str 4 attacks is just to hard to say no, i dont want that.

also your slann is very expensive at almost 1/4 of your army. i dont have my book with me so i dont recall what they all do, but i just run with extra power dice, know all spells and enemey ignores 6's (if you know they are magic heavy).

meadus
23-06-2009, 17:53
The slann is my main powerhouse, with immunity to non-magical attacks and MR3. The razordons are to protect him, shooting out STR4 hits at anyone who gets too close and as a deterent for chargers. The terradons are to soften up someone with rock dropping on the way to clean out war machine crews. The cold ones are to try and get flank charges on any infantry blocks they can, with the scar vet as a means to take out any lone model characters unfortunate enough to be in range on the way.
The skirmishers are for misdirection and harrassment, as is the sallie (who also spells bad juju for any high armor/regen troops who get too close). I took musicians because I have lost too many CRs on a tie in the past, and I hate giving 100 points up for banners captured due to an unlucky round of combat. I'mm keeping the cold ones off to the sides to hopefully lure in his main troops towards my slann, and then chewing them up with flank charges. The steggie w/ EotG is for buffing the magic, and then burning alignment when they get close, hopefully with me getting a charge off before the burning alignment, which should spell trouble for most.

Eulogy2
24-06-2009, 00:17
you still have a 500 point model with no real protection from a cheap character with a magic weapon.

dropping his MR3, and etheral and the two magic items is almost enough on its own to put him with temple guard. there is NO better way to protect him than with t4 2+ armor save stubborn, ITP temple guard. plus itll give you a rock solid anvil that you severely lack right now. if needed drop 1 or 2 razordons to get the unit to 12-16.

Necromancy Black
24-06-2009, 01:05
you still have a 500 point model with no real protection from a cheap character with a magic weapon.

dropping his MR3, and etheral and the two magic items is almost enough on its own to put him with temple guard. there is NO better way to protect him than with t4 2+ armor save stubborn, ITP temple guard. plus itll give you a rock solid anvil that you severely lack right now. if needed drop 1 or 2 razordons to get the unit to 12-16.

Don't listen to him meadus :p

I have never ran a Slann with TG and I always have a Slann, a whole 510 points of him.

Thus far only Karl Franz on a dragon has been able to kill him, and that was by breaking him and running him down. Nothing has actually manage to wound him :D This is the kind of list I run him with -> http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205507

Honestly, I think your list has some potential if you play it smart.

Eulogy2
24-06-2009, 15:04
i dont really care if he listens to me or not, its just advice based on my experiences. if your playing against someone who knows your list, something as simple as a skink chief on a terradon or with cloak of feathers could possibly take out a 500 point general. to me there is no real reward of running a slann solo, compared to the risk you run by having him solo.

in addition to that, and i might be wrong here, but i dont beleive a slann counts as a large target for casting if hes not in a TG unit either. this is a HUGE advantage as it lets you dictate your targets to get past cheap and useless screening troops.

Necromancy Black
24-06-2009, 15:14
in addition to that, and i might be wrong here, but i dont beleive a slann counts as a large target for casting if hes not in a TG unit either. this is a HUGE advantage as it lets you dictate your targets to get past cheap and useless screening troops.

No one can tell for 100% but there was a HUGE topic about this. Basically the way the rule is written you can get LOS as a large target in any unit and even if on his own. That's what most of the people here agreed with and that's how my club plays it.

I'm sure some people are going to be told by there clubs it's the other way around but as I said, RAW says he gets large target LOS and nothing says he has to be in a TG unit to get this.

Eulogy2
24-06-2009, 16:00
to me atleast, from a common sense point, it makes more sense that the TG have to lift his fat **** up, for him to see over things. though i think i recall the discussion your talking about now though.

but that aside, i dont understand the want to running him alone? is there any real gains?

Necromancy Black
25-06-2009, 01:03
Firstly, he's 510 point of magic power house and to add a decent size TG unit he becomes too many points.

Secondly, he's actually pretty mobile since as a lone monster he doesn't have to wheel. This actually helps me get him where I want fast to get a unit in range of his leadership and BSB.

Thirdly, he's damn easy to hide. TG units stick out for spells and ranged magical attacks. Last thing I need is Infernal Gateway being spammed at a TG block, and every chaos player I play packs Tzeentch wizards.

It's actually the Palaquin that floats up, which the Guardian rules says he has at all times. So by common sense I can't see why he needs anyone to lift it for him.

Eulogy2
25-06-2009, 04:10
It's actually the Palaquin that floats up, which the Guardian rules says he has at all times. So by common sense I can't see why he needs anyone to lift it for him.

all in how you read it i guess. to me the entire thing reads as referring to being in a unit of TG, aka guardians. he has no extra models on his base, such as a dwarf shield bearers does, or a nurgle palaquin. i beleive reading it as you are is taking one line out of context when almost every other line states TG. but until a faq, roll it how you will.

Necromancy Black
25-06-2009, 04:21
i beleive reading it as you are is taking one line out of context when almost every other line states TG. but until a faq, roll it how you will.

Actually only two lines in the entire rule make any mention or reference to temple guard, and the first doesn't even contain any form of rules in it :p

It really was some shoddy wording by GW though. But GW have in the past applied a strict RAW approach to these things, like Eye of the Gods affecting models that don't even have the rule (forcing unit champions to issue challenges).

Trust, I've argued black and blue over the context of that guardian rule. Basically the context that it all applies to TG units just isn't there.

meadus
25-06-2009, 13:37
This list is for fighting a chaos power gamer. I've always got to try something new that he wasn't expecting. My last fight with him, my temple guard got magicked to pieces before combat began. I was hoping to get the slann on the edge of some woods, that way he's out of sight from most directions.

meadus
25-06-2009, 13:43
BTW, here is the exact wording from the slann's profile (typos and all): "The Slann Magwe-Priest's palanquin allows it to float up to cast its powerful magics before dropping back within the protection of its unit. Because of this, the his line of sight is worked out as if the slann was a large target himself."
To me, it seems that the palanquin is what allows the LOS, not the TG.

Necromancy Black
25-06-2009, 15:10
Just be careful of the Lore of Tzeentch cause pretty much all it's damage spells do not need LOS to the target so he can hit your Slann from the other side of the wood. MR3 will help but not stop everything. The terror is going to be good though, stop him autobreaking.

EDIT:: Also check out the "I love this thread" link in my sig, that's the old topic that debated the Slann's LOS.