PDA

View Full Version : 2,500 Peasant Army

Troah
22-06-2009, 21:36
So I wanted to make a silly army with Bretonnia to compeletly throw off my friend tomorrow night. I have never went all peasants, in fact I normally use very little of them so I know he wont be excepting this. Comments, thoughts, bashing?

Lord
219pts Bret Lord - Virtue of Confidence, Lance of Artois, Armor of Agilulf, Gauntlet of the Duel, Warhorse, Shield.

Heroes
97pts Paladan - BSB, Shield, Gromril Great Helm, Virtue of Empathy.
144pts Damsel - Level 2, Barded Warhorse, 1 Dispell scrolls.

Core
192pts KotR - 7, Full command. General + a Damsel goes here.
105pts Men-At-Arms - 18, Musician, Standard Bearer.
100pts Men-At-Arms - 17, Musician, Standard Bearer. BSB goes here.
60pts Peasant Bowmen - 10.

Special
150pts Mounted Yeomen - 10.

Rare
90pts Trebuchet
90pts Trebuchet

Total: 2,488

*Edit*
Failed horribly.

Kalec
22-06-2009, 22:38
Make the men at arms 25 strong, cut the yeomen down to 5 strong and give each of them a musician, and take some skirmishing bowmen. Drop a damsel, bring the others down to lvl 1 and give both of a them a pair of scrolls.

Slayerthane
23-06-2009, 11:28
I dont play Brets but I would probably throw in some battle pilgrims with a grail reliquae (I think that's what the unit is called), since they would fit the theme and I believe are unbreakable. I would probably try to squeeze in a couple of those to anchor your line.

Troah
23-06-2009, 18:46
Grail Reliquae with Battle Pilgrims are 0-1 stubborn with hatred, not unbreakable. I originally had a unit in there but I don't enjoy using them. For 118 points you only get 6 guys, you can add up too 24 more but at +9 points per model.

Stronginthearm
23-06-2009, 18:58
I have no clue how the army would play but I love the thought of a Bretonnian army with no knights VIVA LA REVOLUTION OVERTHROW THE KNIGHT OVERLORDS

Troah
23-06-2009, 21:42
I have no clue how the army would play but I love the thought of a Bretonnian army with no knights VIVA LA REVOLUTION OVERTHROW THE KNIGHT OVERLORDS

Saddly you need some knights as KotR are 1+ But yes, I am enjoying the army. Gonna see how well it stacks up vs Dark Elf.

Troah
24-06-2009, 04:14
Rofl ok so Peasants vs Dark Elf is NOT that great of an idea.

SevenSins
24-06-2009, 08:18
Rofl ok so Peasants vs Dark Elf is NOT that great of an idea.

Didn't work out I take it?
What were the main issues? leadership? killing stuff? what?

Troah
24-06-2009, 19:11
Didn't work out I take it?
What were the main issues? leadership? killing stuff? what?

Leadership wasn't that bad, I kept my knights pretty close. The main thing was living. He hit me very hard with some shooting. Combat went back and forth a bit. I had a little trouble killing his Cold One Knights but if I had my KotR unit on the other side of the field this would of been delt with. He was able to just cut me down slowly but surely. I took out a good 1/3 of his army however.

The Peasent idea is pretty fun and most definently throws people off, I believe once the army is refined a little more it will work a lot better.:)

Sarael
25-06-2009, 13:31
Try peasants with archers. A huge unit of skirmishing bowmen will bring anything down simply by putting enough arrows in the sky. My friends have developed a special battle form called "gunline" where there is no close combat, just blowing things up from far away, and I was more or less forced into joining them. I'm still proxying in my VC models to see what I want to play, but so far the skirmishing Brett archers are winning my vote.

Slayerthane
29-06-2009, 17:33
I don't play Brets but it sounds like you need more shooting. I have been on the receiving end of large units of peasant bowmen which can be devastating. I was playing dwarfs at the time. Maybe give them defensive spikes too. I would consider maybe dropping one of your damsels, and getting a cheap paladin to go with the knights so that the Lord and BSB can stay with the M&A. Also, why such big units of mounted Yeoman? Are they fast cav or regular cav? If I remember correctly they have spears and only a 5+ save right? I think points can be spent better elsewhere, maybe dropping them down to 6 each with musicians. I would boost M&A to 25, so maybe take 4 units at 25 each and take 3 units of 20 peasant bowmen. I think your list would be a challenging list to play but definitely fun and rewarding when you win. Just my 2 cents.

chippyman64
29-06-2009, 20:08
wat about running 5 KOTR but conveted so that there on foot and are unit chamions in units????

Troah
30-06-2009, 00:52
I don't play Brets but it sounds like you need more shooting. I have been on the receiving end of large units of peasant bowmen which can be devastating. I was playing dwarfs at the time. Maybe give them defensive spikes too. I would consider maybe dropping one of your damsels, and getting a cheap paladin to go with the knights so that the Lord and BSB can stay with the M&A. Also, why such big units of mounted Yeoman? Are they fast cav or regular cav? If I remember correctly they have spears and only a 5+ save right? I think points can be spent better elsewhere, maybe dropping them down to 6 each with musicians. I would boost M&A to 25, so maybe take 4 units at 25 each and take 3 units of 20 peasant bowmen. I think your list would be a challenging list to play but definitely fun and rewarding when you win. Just my 2 cents.

Peasant bowmen come with Defensive Stakes automatically. Mounted Yeomen are fast cavalry.You can give them light armor and shields but giving them shields makes them lose fast cavalry. I was mainly using them for shooting not really combat.

I was thinking of bumping the Men-at-Arms up to 24 (6x4) or 25 (5x5). And I'm not really sure what I'll want weapon wise for them. They come with Shield+Hand weapon and Halberds, but you can swap halberds for spears at no cost. So either Ws2 S3 with a lot of attacks, or W2 S4 with not as many. I think vs Elves I'll be using spears because elf toughness is mainly 3.

I'm going to drop the damsels down to level 1. No clue why I made them level 2, halfway through the battle I noticed my mistake. :D

I think IF I can get about 3-4 large Men-at-Arms I'll attempt to ring a unit of Grail Reliquae to help hold things. But that's only if there's enough points.

wat about running 5 KOTR but conveted so that there on foot and are unit chamions in units????

You can't have a unit of knights on foot. Just heroes/lords with the virtue.

Lord Dan
30-06-2009, 03:00
How'd your assassin lord work out for you?

Troah
30-06-2009, 03:09
How'd your assassin lord work out for you?

He was eh. Didn't get much chance to use him the way he's supposed to be used.

Slayerthane
30-06-2009, 16:14
I would probably give the M&A spears over halberds myself, and go for more attacks although it sounds like you want to use them more for CR. I play empire and I'm actually a fan of spearmen over even swordsmen, since you get more attacks. I imagine initiative isn't great with M&A, and given they are str 3 and have low armor saves, I'd go with spears.

I like alot of cavalry in my lists, but I realize that's a personal preference. Have you tried fielding the mounted yeoman with shields and light armor? Those would be good for warmachine hunting I think and flank attacks. You have alot of potential anvils with the M&A blocks so it might be worth trying to use some mounted yeoman as hammer units. Given it's not ideal but it stays within the fluff of the army.

As for the damsels, I've never had much experience playing magic heavy lists, more magic defensive lists but I think if you have 2 lvl 2 damsels with scrolls, you could still have a decent magic phase with 6 PD and some decent magic protection. Maybe take only 2 scrolls and take 2 powerstones; or go with 4 scrolls.