PDA

View Full Version : Khornate Cavalry. Introducing the Fire Magisters of Khorne.

nick_robinsonchia
23-06-2009, 02:34
2250p Basic List: (Comments and tactics follow). I will be trying many variations on this, experimenting with more and higher powered Magisters but this will be my list for the first outting. Likely against empire Waltar/stank list. It is a tournament list however so made for all opponents.

Exalted - MoK, Juggernaut, Glaive of Putrefication, Enchanted Shield
Fire Mage of Khorne - Sorceror - lvl 2, Barded Steed, 2 Dispel Scrolls.

6 Marauder Horse - MoK, Fl, Std, Mus
5 Marauder Horse - Fl, Mus
5 hounds
5 hounds
5 hounds

6 Khornate Knights - MoK
6 Khornate Knights - MoK
6 Khornate Knights - MoK
7 'Chosen' Khornate Knights - MoN, Std, Mus, Banner of Rage

Advanced: Tactics

Characters and Role:
Exalted - MoK, Juggernaut, Glaive of Putrefication, Enchanted Shield
- Dual threat multi-purpose character. Essentially a heavy tank with a -1 save a strength of 7+ is needed to reduce his armour save to 3 or better. Jobs are in the following order 1.) Cripple large monsters with the Glaive. Large Hard hitting monsters + lords will be difficult for this army to manage. Even if he dies if he can reduce a dragon/bloodthirster/hydra/steamtank etc to str/tou of 2 he has done his work and makes it that much easier to route the monster with the plethora of str5 attacks in the army. 2.) Act as a missile magnet for small arms fire/magic missiles as much as he can. After testing I will decide whether to give him the golden ee or the ench shield.

Fire Mage of Khorne - Sorceror - lvl 2, Barded Steed, 2 Dispel Scrolls.
Introducing the Fire Mages of Khorne! I find it very Disconcerting that a pure khorne army faces such an uphill battle to be competitive being pure khorne now. With no magic defence many armies can make a mockery of us. So im changing the fluff. There is a new cabal in town. The Fire mages of Khorne. They exclusively use the lore of fire and will try and take the flaming sword of rhuine as often as posible. That and fireball. with 4 Power dice he will be unlikely to get anything through but in a perfect world he would have fireball and flaming sword - 2 dice per spell he might get some through eventually lol. I will be fleshing out the cabal and will put something in the general section. In game terms it offers me miniscuale magic protection. Maybe enough to stave off a turn of a highly offensive army. Rides with the Chosen Knights for protection - also with the banner he has 5 str 4 attacks and a 2+ including his steed which is respectable for a wizard. If he can ever get the sword off well his combat potential goes up significantly.

Troops and Role:

6 Khornate Knights - MoK
6 Khornate Knights - MoK
6 Khornate Knights - MoK
7 'Chosen' Khornate Knights - MoN, Std, Mus, Banner of Rage

The heart of the army and the best unit is the WoC list. They fullfill dual roles of hammers and grinders - something necessary in the undead/demon populated tournament environment. With 4 units and a plethora of diversions at least 2 of these should make it into combat and that is likely all I will need. A note on my 'Chosen'. I have gone to alot of effort to convert and paint a unit of Knights on juggernauts. And with a mounted list I felt like I wanted something that was a step up from the already awesome Khorne Knights. Thus the MoN and banner making them even more powerful than their brethren. Something that suits their models and gives me a great centrepiece unit for the army.

Invaluable support and light hammers in their own rights. Priorities for the wil be wizard hunting, flanking, overwhelming light but expensive troops and most importantly taking advantage of the fast cavalry rules for lightning fast attacks of opportunity. These guys can beat alot of enemies unsupported on the flanks and even weak troops from the front. They have standards as opposed to the knights because 1.) they are cheaper 2.) with the enemy fixated on knight-doom these guys are often left unmolested so in some cases are more reliable for getting into combat. Ideally they will be working in concert with other elements of the force, but against a canny opponent and frenzy this might often not be the case. I cannot stress how brutal these guys are. Bang for buck they are fantastic and with so many other threats they earn their points back time and time again.

Wizard Hunting, Diverting, warmachine hunting, encircling the enemy etc. Common roles.

5 hounds
5 hounds
5 hounds

Arrow bait and fodder. Remnants redirect charges.

Overall gameplan is simple and obvious. Screen and destroy as fast as posible. The executing of it is the dificult part. With very light magic defence and susceptability to shooting it is very important to engage as fast as possible. It seems simple on paper but to win against a canny opponent alot of tactics are involved.

the gribbly
23-06-2009, 02:55
Awesome list and fluff! I ran all khornate mino hvy beasts of blood for quite awhile and know that far from point and click frenzy can be a brain fry to play. Too bad you couldnt fit some "minotaurs of blood" (ogre counts as) in this list but I understand knights are better etc. Anyway really liking the fire mage! Perhaps you could even find room for a second and give each one a scroll and a +1 pd item. I may have to nick the mage idea if you dont mind. -grib
Edit: Also Valkia wouldn't be a bad replacement for the exalted.

nick_robinsonchia
23-06-2009, 02:58
Yeah I used to play a khorne mino/herd list with alot of success over in NZ and Australia - Cant wait for the new beasts book to come out as thats my favorite army. This will be my main army until they are release. Think beast mages of khorne! Bears anger on the casters and if they make the beastlord viable mmmmmmm goodness there! Feel free to borrow anything lol.

Cheers for the reply!

N

Acerbus
23-06-2009, 07:31
Sounds like a cool list, and so do the models for the chosen knights, wondered if it would be possible to get a few pictures of them? may not fit in this section, but i would really enjoy seeing knights on juggernauts as i had a similar idea.

Gaargod
23-06-2009, 13:36
I'd recommend takign the standards off the marauders, and giving them to the knights.

The marauders are just too easy to kill and lose that important banner to the enemy (effectively almost doubling the amount of victory points given away if they're beaten/flee).

Whereas the knights take a LOT to to beaten up. The standard helps in 2 ways - first, will reduce chance that enemy will hold after losing combat by that extra -1. Second, reduces the chance they will lose their frenzy after being beaten by 1, a very annoying thing to happen.

I'd also say strip the lv2 off the sorc. 1 lv2 is never going to do anything really so its not worth it. Ideally get another one with the same gear. Maybe you can start thinking about making them lv2s, to get 6 PD in total, but generally i'd say focus on getting lots of good combat troops, which is what you've done. Perhaops you could lose one of the khorne marauder units to pay for him (3 DD and 2 scrolls will only stop heavy magic armies for a turn. 4 DD and 4 scrolls will last 2-3 turns, which is enough for your cavalry to hit.

nick_robinsonchia
23-06-2009, 16:51
@ Gaargod - All of you're points of i have thought about funnily enough. With regards to the banners like i said in the rundown following the list I have found the marauders more useful to have the standards as they are generally ignored in favour of the knights. So while i can lose a knight unit + standard to shooting/magic I will still have it for combined charges on the marauder unit. Thats how im running it atm but am very open to change depending on further playtesting.

As to the lvl 2 yeah its definately a waste of points. I only have it in there because its fluffy in my mind - more chances of getting the sword of rhuine etc. That 4th PD will be useful to dispel some high level remains in play spells also. But on the whole yeah you're right it SHOULD go and the points saved should go towards another one similarly equipped or else another unit of hounds.

Good comments and thanks for you're input.

@ acerbus - dont have a camera atm sadlybut when i get one il happily post a pic.

IkuTurso
23-06-2009, 18:09
That sure is a lot of cavalry.
My opinion is you have too big units, make the knight units 5-6, maras 5 strong.
You need more hounds. you have 7 frenzied units, you basically should have 7 hound units, tho you can get away with 4-5 maybe.
Concider more Magic Resistance through heros.

Your army has good fluff and propably looks great, have you posted pics on warseer?

Drachen_Jager
24-06-2009, 17:44
Can you post some battle reports when you get the chance? It would be nice to see how it all performs as your army is quite similar to mine.

chippyman64
24-06-2009, 19:06
be careful, everything in your army is frenzied, all it would take is some dark riders to screw you army up pretty bad, what about taking one sorceress on disc just to zzap those fast cavalry units, although i dont want to be antifluff. Ohh and the sorceresss would take fire str 4 against FC= dead

Drachen_Jager
24-06-2009, 20:05
People have been telling me for years that my army is pretty easy to beat (I've been running a similar build to this one since 6th). Most often it's the people who tell me how easy my army will be to beat who fare the worst against it. I can't recall ever losing a game to someone who put much effort at all into re-directing my troops. The biggest weakness of this kind of list is, I find when you encounter rock hard infantry, I now avoid all kinds of elite dwarf infantry especially ironbreakers, there's just very little you can do to them until the rest of the army is beat down enough that you can get a flank or rear charge in.

With a canny general it is not easy for you to re-direct so many frenzied M 7 units. That's what makes this kind of army a really fun challenge, I find the strategy is much deeper than in a typical Warhammer game.