PDA

View Full Version : Do you House Rule Str D?

Hokiecow
23-06-2009, 12:44
This question/poll is based on the conversation in the Worst apocalypse experience (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3692377&postcount=1)I have ever had thread.

I find that using D3 wounds on gargantuan creatures and models immune to instant death works well when using strength D weapons. Suitably reflects the power of those babies.

My group has been thinking about adding this house rule. There are allot of vehicles that only have 1 Str D shot and its wasted if shot on a carnefex (or anything immune to instant death). 1 shot Str D weapons are way over priced if they don't do more.

Does everyone who play's apocalypse generally use this House rule?

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2009, 12:51
Hmmm no.

There is a massive range of weapons at your disposal that you can use for any possible enemy (yay apoc). It's the nature of apoc to have a lot of redundancies :)

Bekenel
23-06-2009, 12:58
A weapon designed to rip apart Titans should be able to instantly kill a Carnifex. If I played more Apoc, I'd ask to use such a rule, yes.

Scythe
23-06-2009, 13:03
I would probably house rule that strenght D ignores the ethernal warrior rule altogether (really, it should if it is able to kill wraithlords etc in one shot as well). Versus garguantuans, the d3 wounds rule sounds reasonable enough.

Mind, this is comming from a Tyranid player with Hierophant Bio-Titan available for apocalypse.

bosstroll
23-06-2009, 13:04
I've always thought it was extremely silly for a str D weapon to be able to blow up a titan in one go, but only cause 1 wound on anything imune to instant death.

My club is using the following rule, adapted fromt he warmachines damage tables.
Str-D causes 1 wound, in addition role 1 die: on a score of 6 it causes another wound, and another die roll.

Basically this is the same as rolling a damage result for a super heavy, except creatures dont get stunned/shaken/imobilized/weapon destroyed, so theyre still better off.

chromedog
23-06-2009, 14:04
Apoc is a game of house rules.

We rule that it defeats "eternal warrior" - you make your invulnerable (if you have one) or die. We also have a habit of ignoring various things that get in the way of the game, as well.

But we enforce the allies matrix as well. Forces that will not normally trust anyone else (DE dont even trust other DE) can not be part of the same "army" unless there is a damn good reason given ("they're all that I had" doesn't count).

LonelyPath
23-06-2009, 14:42
I've not house ruled Str D in the past but I am likely to in future Apoc games, it's alot fairer seeing how powerful those weapons should be. I'd likely go for the d3 wounds approach rather than straight out kills.

Legionary
23-06-2009, 14:47
I'd house-rule that Strength D weapons cause d6 wounds against models with Eternal Warrior - to me, d3 means that gribblies are more resistant to S D than vehicles.

Gimp
23-06-2009, 14:48
My friends and i have no concept of house rules we play how the rulebook tells us to play.

But we dont play Apoc (not enough points) but Apoc is all about having loosely based rules so I can see a house rule or 2 working to add more "realism" or fun

Nexus Trimean
23-06-2009, 15:46
My Club Suffers from an overabundance of Strenght D, We are trying to eliminate it, or at least reduce it. It breaks too many rules as is, (Partials still auto penning.)
And there is far too much available to everyone. Considering it just kills Swaths of Everything (no one round here runs monsterous creatures.)

Cry of the Wind
23-06-2009, 17:06
Haven't had problems with Str D yet so no house rules in play. The more I think about it though it really is only the Nids that cause problems with their enternal warrior spam. For most other characters with that rule it is cool to see them survive a horrific blast and somehow keep going. It only becomes a problem when you have waves of things coming at you. Because there are no Nid players in any of the Apoc games I've played it hasn't been a problem, thus no one has put that house rule forward.

In future I'll suggest D3 wounds to my group as well.

Poseidal
23-06-2009, 17:11
I made up a rule that with Stength D weapons, there's a whole new tiering system.

A level 15 Stength D weapon won't be able to kill a character who's power level is over 30 for example.

This has led to 'power level inflation' where it gets to the level where super powered characters are throwing multiple strength D beams (based on their own power levels) and blowing up mountains or even planets.

Illiterate Scribe
23-06-2009, 18:15
I made up a rule that with Stength D weapons, there's a whole new tiering system.

A level 15 Stength D weapon won't be able to kill a character who's power level is over 30 for example.

This has led to 'power level inflation' where it gets to the level where super powered characters are throwing multiple strength D beams (based on their own power levels) and blowing up mountains or even planets.

Energy beams, blowing up planets, power levels ...

... you're just asking for someone to bring it up, aren't you.

Jackmojo
23-06-2009, 18:57
Energy beams, blowing up planets, power levels ...

... you're just asking for someone to bring it up, aren't you.

I'm just wondering if there is some power leve they never go over...you know cause it would just be so shocking.

As to house rules for apocalypse, I think it best to have a whole raft of them based on what you use (for example I've been tempted to price out the Titan weapons, sicne some are clearly better then others, and gosh darn it the Volcano Cannon/Defence laser should be the best anti-warmachine gun in the game as it has been for so long).

I like the suggestion of 1d6 wounds on Eternal warriors, so they are generally killed/severely wounded, but might luck out, additionally I think the point that even nicks from Str D blows tanks to smithereens might validate going back to some variation of 4th editions template rules (say it penetrates the armour on a 4+ and glances otherwise).

Jack

stevester79
23-06-2009, 19:35
voted no. never house rule this but i agree this rule makes no sense. I don't even think models should be able to shrug off direct hits from ordanance weapons to. But it is what it is. It's one of the very few 2nd edition things i miss was rolling to see how many wounds were inflicted.

Nexus Trimean
23-06-2009, 19:43
Well i was thinking for Strength D, it auto penetrates on the hole, and is S9 or 10 on partials, this keeps it uber Strong, but also means a miss wont autokill a tank.

massey
23-06-2009, 21:03
Nah, we haven't changed it. Str D weapons are immensely powerful anyway. They don't need a boost. We've started house rule-ing it so that Str D weapons use a template one size smaller. So a 5" blast becomes the small blast template. As it is, those weapons just clear guys off the table by the double-handful. It's kind of nice to have something that will actually live through it.

For visualization purposes, characters with Eternal Warrior would dive behind some structure at the last moment. As the smoke clears, nothing is seen except a pile of rubble. Then the hero explodes out of the debris, injured but alive. With a Carnifex, the thing is hit by the weapon and lies there on the ground, smoke rising from the "corpse", half its body charred, shell flaking away in the breeze. Then one bloody eye opens, and the thing rises to its feet, somehow surviving a weapon that should have killed it outright.

Can a Carnifex survive things that would kill a tank outright? Yes, that's why they're scary. Remember, a lascannon can kill a tank in one shot, but not a fex.

Znail
23-06-2009, 21:12
Super heavies and Str D weapons are pretty undercosted as is so if I wanted to boost them so would I want to slap on a pretty large extra cost on them as well to balance things out.

Sister_Sin
23-06-2009, 22:26
Haven't seen a need to, so no.

Sister Sin

bob_the_small
23-06-2009, 22:30
I think this is getting confused between the rules and the fluff.... in the fluff... D weapons rip through anything (just about) and in the rules... they kill most htings... but it takes a few shots.. on that basis.. I would go for the "No" option to that poll....

DvlDog
23-06-2009, 22:48
Our group had played that Str D is death, doesn't matter if you're eternal warrior or some piddly daemon, you're dead (or sent to the warp).

Ozendorph
23-06-2009, 22:50
Yeah, we've gone to the d3 rule even though it's not something that comes up too often in our group. If you could get weapon destroyed/drive damaged/chain reaction results on a Hierophant or Hierodule there'd be no problem, but as it stands they are vastly tougher than their Super Heavy counterparts. And not being able to smash a TMC with a Strength D weapon is not great.