PDA

View Full Version : New TK player questions

Vedar
23-06-2009, 16:51
A few of my 40K group are trying to break in WFB. Even though I have a large amount of Daemons in 40K I didn't want to pick the most powerfull army. I went with TK as they are completely different then anything I have and it sounds like they are a challenge to play.

So far I have a battalion box, King on chariot and 2 liche priests.

What else would make a well rounded army?

Also I have the codex in front of me but I don't quite get how the casket of souls work. It says it affects all units that can draw line of site to it. Isn't that in most cases all enemy units or am I thinking 40K rules here?

Thanks.

Isabel
23-06-2009, 22:12
Some good additions to your list so far could be:
1 or 2 Tomb Scorpions
5 or 6 Carrion
Screaming Skull Catapult
More Archers
1 more unit of Chariots
1 large block of basic skeletons with hand weapon shield
Maybe a block of Tomb Guard.

This would give you two solid blocks to tarpit enemy units. Flying march blockers/artillery hunters/rear chargers. Ranged damage to force the enemy to you and some great hammer units.

TK are a tough army to use but alot of fun in my opinion. Liche priest heavy lists with a TK general seem to be the most formidable way to go. Good luck with the army.

Edit: forgot to mention also. In Fantasy, not all units have a 360 degree line of sight like they do in 40k. Only skirmishing units do. Line of sight for unit blocks is judged by what falls into their front 90 degree view. There should be examples in the rules book of a units LoS. Also, terrain and other units can block line of sight to the casket so you will want to place it on a hill, preferably near the center of your battle line, looking over as much open space as possible.

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2009, 22:22
Also I have the codex in front of me but I don't quite get how the casket of souls work. It says it affects all units that can draw line of site to it. Isn't that in most cases all enemy units or am I thinking 40K rules here?

Only if your enemy is stupid enough to let all his units face the Casket and not taking advantage of obstacles that block line of sight. I don't know a thing about 40K, but I suppose an Orc can't look through a solid brick wall there as well?

grhino
07-07-2009, 10:37
Build some of the units you like beside more skellies (perhaps add one box). If you like the giant, go for it. I liked it that much that I built two very early on. Also, the Screaming skull catapult is nice. A scorpion is a must-have! Couple of Ushabti never hurt... although many players seem not to like them. When you have about 1500 to 1700 points it is well worth going for another batallion to save money on models you will want to get later on anyway!

minionboy
08-07-2009, 03:41

In WHFB there are a few major differences in LoS. First of all, your own troops block your LoS. Also, units on hills can draw LoS over units on the ground, and vice versa. Models with the Large Target rule can draw LoS over normal sized models and can be seen over normal sized troops. This means that a Casket on a hill can be quite devastating.

maaksel
08-07-2009, 17:05
Unlike a lot of people, I actually like the bone giant... So something you may want to consider.

Definitely could use more chariots, they are the bread and butter of our Army. (I have 23 of them... but that is about 9 more than I would ever use, [they came with my ebay purchase])

Carrions are great with the cloak of dunes on your LP - they can have a 40" charge on turn 1... meaning you can sometimes charge lone mages, but most of the time I use them for war machines and march blocking.

Tomb Scorpions are also fantastic units, I almost always run 3, all buried, and carrions as my other special. Ushabti have their place, but only against certain armies (like chaos for example). I wouldn't bother with them against elves or anything that doesn't really need the s6 (elven dragons are fun times though).

Casket of Souls is basically anything that can see it, gets hit. Units and terrain block LOS - so when you put terrain on the field, try to get yourself a hill - then even units behind units can still see it.

Things to remember - you cause fear, remember to have them test for it.

It's also not about always slaughtering a unit to the last man, you want to force as many panic checks as possible. So if there is a line of several units, target the weakest to try and get it to run; this will force panic tests on everything withing 6" of that unit (so generally 2-3 units) This is where the catapult comes into place, with skull of the foe and -1 LD, its surprising how often units will run. (Just beware of immune to psychology).

Also, a 'tarpit' of skeletons (I try to run a 20-25 block) with handweapons/shield is something to be reckoned with, especially if you heal it... a 200 point unit can tie up a 600+ point unit for several turns.

I also always field 2 units of 10 bows. Yes, the TK bows aren't the greatest, but they ROCK at killing skirmishers! Normally need a 7+ to hit you? 5+ it is!

Lastly for your chaos, I don't considerate 'cheese' or 'overpowered' if chaos players don't run power gamer lists. Run things that are fun to try out - don't run the cookie cutter OMG I'M SO ELITE I KILL EVERYTHING! List (no blood thirster!).

I'm highly debating on starting a Slaanesh only list.. 60 daemonetts etc.

maaksel
08-07-2009, 17:36
also - here is the TK board

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Khemri/index.php