PDA

View Full Version : will there be new dark angels in the next year?

dark angel
31-12-2005, 22:16
hi

im thinking of starting dark angels but im not shure if their going to be
re-done as i heard loads of rumours and i dont want to start an army that will have out of date models soon so could somebody help as this army will about 6000 point but possibly 10,000 points if i decide to

t-tauri
31-12-2005, 22:27
Try here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20642) for the concept art. Rumour has Dark Angels in the same slot next year as BT had this year-around October/November 2006. I'd expect a complete redesign of Dark Angels for that release.

Brimstone
01-01-2006, 15:28
Probably later IMO, the Eldar are rumoured to be due roughly September time so the Dark Angels will move closer to Christmas.

Latro_
01-01-2006, 16:01
Another marine codex!
i hope not. Eldar and orks! two core races with codex's gettin on for 8? years out of date!

Brimstone
01-01-2006, 16:38
In a years time, they are GW's biggest seller so one specific codex per year is a minimum.

Eldar will be before this and Orks will be the big release in 2007.

Besides both the Eldar & Ork codicies are not out of date at all and remain competative it's just the model range that is very in need of a update.

burni
01-01-2006, 16:40
Although the xmas release makes sense commerically, it seems too ambitious considering the Tau aren't coming until April and CF II until July-ish. Then we have to get through Eldar!

So DA before Xmas? Personally don't hold much hope. :cries:

Orbital
01-01-2006, 16:46
Brimstone: Brace yourself for a lot of people who might loudly disagree with you about the Eldar and Ork codices not being out of date. I, personally, will disagree quietly. :)

I was recently told that Space Marines outsell the entire Warhammer Fantasy line. Again: The entire Warhammer Fantasy line. For this reason, I can understand the proflieration of Marine chapter codices. I don't love it, as I am not a fan of the Marine army (for myself; if you like it, I'm glad)... but I understand the business behind it. In this regard I believe Brimstone is on the money.

BTW, you've made my whole day by saying what you did about the Eldar in September. I really needed to hear that. :)

ValarSon79
01-01-2006, 16:51
hmmmm back to the rumour mill.... lol :D

I heard that BA and DA were gonna be released together as a comprehensive codex as was done the 2nd ed game personally cant wait for the new Cityfight codex i only browsed the orginal but the fluff and rules in it were good.

hmmm thinkin of collectin a tau army when the new codex comes out seein as the vespid look miles better than those crappy kroot shud have brought them out as a serperate army in the first place (i.e the Kroot) now everythin at last is themed not bitty.Although Chaos i spose suffered from the same thing before the invention of the cults list

ValarSon79
01-01-2006, 16:52
oooo just thought with the invention of this new DA-BA codex are we gonna get sexy new Azrael and Dante models???

Orbital
01-01-2006, 16:54
I also heard that thing about the DA and BA being released in one codex, but I have to say that I have yet to hear it from a credible sour- ... uh... nevermind.

Dreachon
01-01-2006, 17:04
Brimmstone already confirmed that to be utter rubbisch and wishfull thinking of others, all codices will be seperate.

Orbital
01-01-2006, 17:16
The idea of putting Blood Angels and Dark Angels together seems like a really stupid one anyhow. It reminds me of people who say that Dark Eldar and Eldar should have the same codex because, hey... they both have "Eldar" in the name.

Killgore
01-01-2006, 17:43
whys it a stupid idea? it worked for years in the old Angles of Death codex back when codexs where worth buying

HiveFleetEzekial
01-01-2006, 19:02
and that was still back when the armies didn't have near as many choices and rules and extra stuff to worry about. and even then was confusing at times.

yes, putting them both in one codex, now that they've both got a full codex worth of stuff, would be stupid. and it's already been said, they're not going to. heck, even the concepts point to that too, otherwise we'd seen sketches for DA and BA in those pics, not JUST DA

Kurai
01-01-2006, 21:25
I think it was considered to release them as one codex earlier but was found to be a bad idea.

ankara halla
01-01-2006, 22:44
I think it was considered to release them as one codex earlier but was found to be a bad idea.

No. It was never considered for them to be released in a single codex.

philbrad2
01-01-2006, 23:15
Brimstone: Brace yourself for a lot of people who might loudly disagree with you about the Eldar and Ork codices not being out of date. I, personally, will disagree quietly. :)

I'd direct that point at GW Marketing rather than BRIMSTONE they set more of the schedule than you might think. Xmas is GW's busiest time of year for sales and SM's sell the by the shed load regardless of there colour scheme or background. Actually I think DA codex is older than the Orks and Eldar so if the revamp was based on the merit of age they'd be high in the pecking order anyway. If anyone doubts this ask why the Tau are being revised in the next few months? It's not because of a 'old' codex now is it. Units sold accounts a lot more than gamers 'wish lists' (and possiblyy some developers) but there has been a fair bit of change in the marketing & release of 40K I've noticed since Andy C left on '04 and a lot more buisness 'savvy' seem to be going into GW's releases.

I was recently told that Space Marines outsell the entire Warhammer Fantasy line. Again: The entire Warhammer Fantasy line. For this reason, I can understand the proflieration of Marine chapter codices. I don't love it, as I am not a fan of the Marine army (for myself; if you like it, I'm glad)... but I understand the business behind it. In this regard I believe Brimstone is on the money.

BTW, you've made my whole day by saying what you did about the Eldar in September. I really needed to hear that. :)

Nature of the beast I'm afraid, 40K will be and always has been a Space Marine orientated sci-fi game and GW's 40k 'cask cow'. Though I'm surprised to here Eldar would be out for September (Eldar and DA minis to look forward to as pre release offerings for UKGD 06 ;) ) I'm assuming Cityfight will be taking the May to August release slots?

:chrome:

t-tauri
01-01-2006, 23:27
Actually I think DA codex is older than the Orks and Eldar so if the revamp was based on the merit of age they'd be high in the pecking order anyway.
If it's age then it's Space Wolves time. :)

Units sold accounts a lot more than gamers 'wish lists' (and possibly some developers) but there has been a fair bit of change in the marketing & release of 40K I've noticed since Andy C left on '04 and a lot more business 'savvy' seem to be going into GW's releases.

Given the pasting that GW's share price has had that's hardly surprising. I'd actually expected more marines to come out since the vast majority of the design work is already done on the big three chapters.

Griefbringer
01-01-2006, 23:37
I was recently told that Space Marines outsell the entire Warhammer Fantasy line. Again: The entire Warhammer Fantasy line.

Sounds slightly exaggerated - by the numbers I have heard, 40K as a whole only slightly outsells WHFB, and Imperial marines amount for "only" around 50% of the 40K sales (though then you also get the chaos marines too).

That said, 50% of the 40K sales is a whole lot of a stuff, so it should not be surprising if there is a heavy emphasis on them.

ankara halla
01-01-2006, 23:38
If it's age then it's Space Wolves time. :)

If time is the criteria, then would it not be Blood Angels ;)

Tom
01-01-2006, 23:51

Technically it'd be Dark Eldar (Nov 98). Though Blood Angels (Dec 98) are close.

For reference:
THIRD EDITION CODEX RELEASES (Chronological order)
Space Marines (Oct 98)
Dark Eldar (Nov 98)
Blood Angels (Dec 98)
Chaos Space Marines v1 (Feb 99)
Dark Angels (Apr 99)
Orks (Summer 99)
Eldar (Summer 99)
Imperial Guard v1 (Autumn 99)
Catachans (Autumn 99)
Space Wolves (Winter 99)
Craftworld Eldar (Spring 2000)
Armageddon (Summer 2000)
Tyranids (Winter 2000)
Tau (Summer 2001)
Necrons (Spring 2002?)
Chaos Space Marines (Autumn 2002)
Daemonhunters (Spring 2003)
Eye of Terror (Summer 2003)
Imperial Guard (Autumn 2003)
Witch Hunters (Spring 2004)

ankara halla
02-01-2006, 00:11
Too true, my bad. Was working from memory which ain't exactly quite up to speed yet it being this close to the new years celebrations...

Tom
02-01-2006, 00:38
Too true, my bad. Was working from memory which ain't exactly quite up to speed yet it being this close to the new years celebrations...

Hey, not criticising your point, just clarifying. I don't even like the Dark Eldar.

Odin
02-01-2006, 01:00
Technically it'd be Dark Eldar (Nov 98). Though Blood Angels (Dec 98) are close.

For reference:
Space Marines (Oct 98)
Dark Eldar (Nov 98)
Blood Angels (Dec 98)
Dark Angels (Apr 99)
Orks (Summer 99)
Eldar (Summer 99)
Catachans (Autumn 99)
Space Wolves (Winter 99)
Armageddon (Summer 2000)
Tyranids (Winter 2000)
Tau (Summer 2001)
Necrons (Spring 2002?)

Wow, did you have that list to hand, or have you just got far too much time on your hands? ;)

Orbital
02-01-2006, 02:37
Nature of the beast I'm afraid, 40K will be and always has been a Space Marine orientated sci-fi game and GW's 40k 'cask cow'.

"Always will be", you may be right. "Always has been", I dunno. The earlier versions of the game distributed the emphasis a lot more evenly. Maybe finding a central army which was their flagship was a natural part of the maturing of both the game and the company. I just know it wasn't always that way.

Orbital
02-01-2006, 02:42
I'd direct that point at GW Marketing rather than BRIMSTONE they set more of the schedule than you might think.

Brimstone made the point that the Ork and Eldar codices aren't out of date; only the models are. I politely and lightheartedly suggested that some people might disagree with him on that (and I might be one of them). Why would I direct what I said to GW when it's Brimstone who said it?

philbrad2
02-01-2006, 09:32

Id be happy with either as I play both chapters.

However 2006 is seeing 4 40K codices whose to say 2007 we wont see a similar number with 2 SM codices? I think its safe to expect Orks in '07 and either SW or BA, what else could we expect? Necrons are fairly new, as are Guard and the Ordos. Alienhunters is a distinct possbility after Orks in 07.

Brimstone made the point that the Ork and Eldar codices aren't out of date; only the models are. I politely and lightheartedly suggested that some people might disagree with him on that (and I might be one of them). Why would I direct what I said to GW when it's Brimstone who said it?

I realise the way in which the point was made, I agree that the earlier 3rd ed codices should be looked at before the likes of the Tau and even Tyranids - my favourite 4th ed codex so far. If it hadn't been for GW pushing the LoTR games we'd have had 4th ed a good 12 months befroe we did, this is one area I see GW let gamers down and with this has been a knock on effect of delaying codices even more.

The intimation in my reply is one of the reasons they not (yet) being revised is down to the project schedule arrived at by GW which is more controlled by its marketing section now than I've ever seen it - anyone working in marketing on the list, you have my sympathies ;) Ork and more vocally (non) Eldar players have been moaning about the current Eldar 'dex for years. I don't play Eldar, but are one of the main armies I face in my gaming group, I have no problems with the current codex for them. Its served Eldar players well for many years now, the Ork codex more so, as the Eldar have gained the likes of the CW and EoT lists as well as the main codex. Orks, another race I don't use in numbers, have a sound codex and army list. Sure some updates and 'tweaks' may be in order but its strength has been in its writing and has stood that test for some 6/7 years now.

Brimstone
02-01-2006, 09:44
As 7th edition WFB is also out in 2006 I suspect 2007 will be focused more on fantasy than 40K.

IMO Orks are pretty much a shoo-in for 2007, we will most probably see another marine codex (Blood Angels) and we may possibly see one more.

Griefbringer
02-01-2006, 12:24
"Always will be", you may be right. "Always has been", I dunno. The earlier versions of the game distributed the emphasis a lot more evenly.

Well, even the RT-era marines had a significant presence, starting from the basic rulebook and continuing in the supplements. There was also a wide range of marine models, and the first plastic boxed set was for the marines too. And the other games set in the 40K universe also had an emphasis on marines (Space Marine, Space Hulk, Space Crusade, Advanced Space Crusade). Well, at least back then every chapter did not have its own little book, there being just one list for everyone (except for the Space Wolf list in WD that came out just before 2nd edition).

What I am really wondering is where has this "I want GW to redo my codex/army book every two years!" mentality come from that is nowadays so visible on Warseer.

burni
02-01-2006, 12:25
Going by the past year GW seem very good at releasing WFB but a bit slower with 40k. I'm NOT whining about that, it's just that 2005 was a 40k year really (new version et all) but we saw a lot of(possibly more) WFB. 3 army books and a campaign book with accompanying campaign and model releases. In the same period we got the trailing SM releases and 2 codex's (both of which used a lot of existing models while the WFB ones where almost complete redesigns).

If 2007 is going to be a WFB heavy year we'll be lucky to get Orks alone! :D

Having said all that it looks like 2006 will only have the trailing Dwarfs and 7th ed (perhaps with O&G) while 40k should by all accounts get 4 major releases - So can't complain!

Warsmith Strader
02-01-2006, 12:25

For reference:
Space Marines (Oct 98)
Dark Eldar (Nov 98)
Blood Angels (Dec 98)
Dark Angels (Apr 99)
Orks (Summer 99)
Eldar (Summer 99)
Catachans (Autumn 99)
Space Wolves (Winter 99)
Armageddon (Summer 2000)
Tyranids (Winter 2000)
Tau (Summer 2001)
Necrons (Spring 2002?)

I think everyone is forgetting the two updated codex's for the Dark Angels and the Dark eldar... aren't that old...
personally I'd rather see the orks come out before either the dark angels or the eldar....

Ki-Adi-Monkey
02-01-2006, 12:54
Catachans (Autumn 99)
Space Wolves (Winter 99)

These are both wrong, they should both be spring 2000.

The Catachan codex came out in march, and the SW codex was out in may IIRC (I got it early in the april of that year at an openday at GWHQ).

Rob

Recon
02-01-2006, 15:30
Does this mean that Deathwing/Deathwing conversion sprues/kits(me like "/") will be available at the end of next year at earliest?

philbrad2
02-01-2006, 15:49
Does this mean that Deathwing/Deathwing conversion sprues/kits(me like "/") will be available at the end of next year at earliest?

They are by no means confirmed but I think its pretty safe to assume Deathwing parts will feature in someway when the DA codex is revised at the end of this year...

Achilles
02-01-2006, 16:12
new Dark Angels would be cool and if any of those sketches in the other threads are to be realised... i might have to start a DA army...

dont forget fellows that Marines sell because they are: easy to use, easy to paint and, espesially for new players to this game but also for old ones... easy to identify with. its much easier, i believe, to imagine your a 2 meter high killing super human then, for example... a green brute, a inhuman elf, a machine without a soul or a bug (tau i give the benifit of the doubt. they are quite... humane). marines are cool. they kick a**, are really cool and take **** from nobody... everything a insecure fanboy wants... right?

i know so.. im like that fanboy lol.
now dont get me wrong... i like all the xenos out there...
actually the only thing i dont like about marines... is that everybody plays marines, which can make the game a bit stale. i like to crush xenos skum with my powerarmoured madmen, not go on training battles against me mates...

so i can understand and even like marine releases once a year. gives us a new way to play or use most peoples fav. army.

just hurry up with those new eldar and ork models GW... :D

Recon
03-01-2006, 14:57
They are by no means confirmed but I think its pretty safe to assume Deathwing parts will feature in someway when the DA codex is revised at the end of this year...

Heh, usually takes me a week or two to adjust to the thought of a whole new year ahead of me =)

therisnosaurus
04-01-2006, 01:37
marines are cool. they kick a**, are really cool and take **** from nobody...

unless the emperor asks them too...

HEY!!! brother Taras! can you carry my rectal tank for me? There's a good, utterly loyal servant...

blitz589
04-01-2006, 02:46
are the DA, the ones getting a Plastic Vindicator, Im just curious, because i don't want to try and covert one, if its being released.