18 Saurus Warriors
Spears
Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers

3 Terradons

10 Skink Skirmishers

3 terradons

2 Salamanders

Thoughts? i have grown tired of Stegadons, my engines kept being sniped and the standard ones whilst performing admirably did not add much that i felt Saurus /Sacr vets could give?

meadus
24-06-2009, 13:17
I'd split the sallies into 2 units and keep them near your flanks.

Eulogy2
24-06-2009, 14:50
you have a ton of anvils and not a single hammer unit. you need a unit or two of calvary, or even skink/krox for hammers. without these your much more likely to be locked into combat making you even less mobile than your m4 troops already are.

beaumontbrawler
24-06-2009, 15:31
I put together a list that's similar to this (although I was running 3 skrox units, 2 saurus spear units, and the TG as my blocks), and my list did much better than I had expected . . . brutally decimating a friend's DE list. I think that if you're running this type of list, then you really need to run the skrox, as it gives you the speed you need to overcome gunlines.

Although I had the same concerns as Eulogy stated . . . an army of anvils, with no hammers . . . this was overcome by the ability to get critical flank charges with the skrox units . . . and the fact that one of my skrox units whacked a hydra on the charge surely didn't hurt my cause. :D

Eulogy2
24-06-2009, 16:42
skrox units make excellent hammers. i usually run 16 skinks/2 krox. with this combo though its very important to try and get the lvl 1 heavens spell on them to reroll 1's to hit and wound. krox ws 3 means only 1 or 2 hits if your lucky out of 3 attacks. rerolling 1's is almost as good as hitting on 3's instead of 4's which is usually the case.

this unit costs 185 points naked and will usually out number, has fear immunity and a quick 4(usually) CR without kills. a naked unit of calv costs 175 points but has no real CR. ill pay 10 points for 3-4 CR everytime.

edit: keep in mind though they are purely a hammer unit, if they get charged or go for a frontal charge on anything other than zombies(even skinks maul zombies), the enemy can rack up alot of CR through killing skinks. flanks are a must for these guys.

beaumontbrawler
24-06-2009, 17:32
keep in mind though they are purely a hammer unit, if they get charged or go for a frontal charge on anything other than zombies(even skinks maul zombies), the enemy can rack up alot of CR through killing skinks. flanks are a must for these guys.

I disagree . . . with a slann BSB nearby, they have held up to charges for me too (granted not against sowrdmasters or double lance charge or anything like that, but they can hang tough for a round or 2 against average core troops w/ the slann BSB around). . . but their forte is definitely the flank charge and/or charging not-too-powerful troops/units that have no static CR.

Eulogy2
24-06-2009, 17:47
I disagree . . . with a slann BSB nearby, they have held up to charges for me too (granted not against sowrdmasters or double lance charge or anything like that, but they can hang tough for a round or 2 against average core troops w/ the slann BSB around). . . but their forte is definitely the flank charge and/or charging not-too-powerful troops/units that have no static CR.

even basic human troops, skeletons or anything with a base 3 stat line(almost everything) will make short work of skinks for some easy CR. all those things hit on 3's and wound on 3's and the skinks in return have little or no save. i havent found 2 krox on thier own to be reliable enough with thier ws3 to win many combats, which is why i try to avoid front charges, or being charged with them. cold blooded re-rolls definitly help, but it doesnt matter much when you need a 2 or 3:).