PDA

View Full Version : Crux Terminatus

boogle
07-05-2005, 21:52
i've just had a small debate with my sister over the crux terminatus, she says they should be stone coloured, i've said that they can be any colour (i've painted mine Gold), who if either of us is right?

thanks

TheSonOfAbbadon
07-05-2005, 22:09
You, for 2 reasons:

1. You are, in fact, right, the Crux Terminatus can be any colour according to the background, although the actual shard of armour itself is gold.
2. Girls can't play let alone learn the background of 40k.

Gaebriel
07-05-2005, 22:26
The only reference I have is the 2nd edition Codex Ultramarines, a trusted source on Space Marines heraldics.

There it says Crux Terminatus vary in form and design, but all versions are carved from great chunks of stone. The small versions that e.g. hang from belts and banners, are metallic.

Though I think technically a Crux Terminatus could be painted any colour, like Power armour...

2. Girls can't play let alone learn the background of 40k.Waits for said sister to shake her fist at TheSonOfAbbadon...

boogle
07-05-2005, 22:39
hmm waits for Xhalax

Reabe
07-05-2005, 22:56
Yeah, it can be of any colour. You just spray paint over it or what ever painting technique they use in the 41st millieum.

Xhalax
07-05-2005, 23:01
Girls can't play 40K eh?

Must have been someone else that kicked both a Witch Hunters army down to the very last little sister, a massive brute squad of Arbites and the last two Tau of the other guys Kill Team (with only a single casualty compared to everything of the other two teams) and muched their way through about 3/4 of a Guard Army. Against players that have 30 years gaming experiences against my lowly 11 months worth of pure 40K experience.

And of course, that's not counting all the times I sat and played Space Hulk, Space Crusade, HeroQuest and Mordhiem. Ok, I was young then (as I'm only just 20 now) and lost. But I've got my revenge with an unblemished record of...oh, what's that...is it victory? Hell yes....with my 13th Company.

And as I'm soon to be a joining the ranks of the Great Devourer...I guess that doesn't count for much these days.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Plus, I only said they should theortically be stone coloured as I'd read that fluff-wise they Crux Terminatus is made of stone....as Gaebriel said.
And I only mentioned that as I'm currently sitting painting Termies.

So stick that in ya pipe and smoke it!

Brimstone
07-05-2005, 23:04
2. Girls can't play let alone learn the background of 40k.

Yes :rolleyes: , less of the sexism please, It's a shame TWB isn't around at the moment she'd have your obviously undeveloped balls for breakfast.

OK back OT the 2nd Ultramarines codex edition describes the main form of the Crux Terminatus as being carved from great chunks of stone.

There are also lesser representations of the Crux (think the ones worn by power armoured troops) that are metallic.

But obviously you can paint them how you like.

TheSonOfAbbadon
07-05-2005, 23:09
You leave my sexual organs out of this!

Xhalax
07-05-2005, 23:13
"well that is quite easy to do seeing as Brimstone thinks they are really small anyway"

as quoted/typed by boogle coz he was too lazy to log out of my account

Anyway....back the the Terminators.

TheSonOfAbbadon
07-05-2005, 23:21
Don't you just *hate* it when people just can't take a joke?

Minister
07-05-2005, 23:23
I demand more sarcastic comments!

Anyway, whilst the shard itself is indeed gold (assuming that it's an external fragment, these things must be prettey bloody small by now), the casing should indeed be stone, although the type of stone will vary.

Xhalax
07-05-2005, 23:28
Well I could have heaped on the sarcasm with a dumper truck (I'm female and therefore it comes naturally)....but 'tis the lowest form of wit so I decided against it.

I only brought it up coz I was so sick of painting gold on the Crux, that I was just wondering out loud.
But now I have images of glow-in-the-dark orange Crux Terminatius or something stupid like that.
But it's still possible. The marines would have to be from some sort of irradiated world, where the rocks glow in the dark.

Don't you just love the fact that 40K allows you do do ANYTHING.....well almost. It's just some of the gamers that don't seem to agree. Especially on colour-schemes.

TheSonOfAbbadon
07-05-2005, 23:36
Just because it's made of stone doesn't mean you can't paint it.

Xhalax
07-05-2005, 23:59
I was misquoted by boogle in the first post. I was saying they [b]could[/i] be painted in stone rather than they should.

But still, a smilie would have indicated that you were actually joking wouldn't have gone amiss as there are people out there who do say rather nasty things and actually mean them.

Brimstone
10-05-2005, 23:05
Ok knock it off.

TheSonOfAbbadon this your final warning, I've just handed out one strike and I'm very tempted to hand out another.

This is 40K background, you wish to post off topic go to the wastes.

Xhalax please don't react and feed trolls.

mostholycerebus
10-05-2005, 23:27
Yeah, it can be of any colour. You just spray paint over it or what ever painting technique they use in the 41st millieum.

Just because it's made of stone doesn't mean you can't paint it.

Actually, a common Space Marines believe is that armor should not be repainted over. It pisses off the 'spirit' of the armor. That's why Deathwatch leaves part of their armor in the original colors, and recent traitor marines don't just re-paint their whole armor. If the crux was made of stone, I think it unlikely it would be painted over.

Sojourner
10-05-2005, 23:32
I'd paint mine in a stone colour personally, as I think they look cooler. You can easily paint stone, though.

And you can always use black marble or granite, after all...

Minister
11-05-2005, 01:13
The theory is that defacing the armour is an insult to it. To repaint it after it has been consecrated (not to touch-up damage, but to apply a new colour scheme) is to ofend the spirit of that which you rely upon for your protection. What colours are applied before the consecration and activation do not matter.

Lion El Jason
11-05-2005, 01:24
The big thing on the shoulder pads are stone. You can paint them whatever colour you want (And they often represent different things, the Crux Agentum for example is a special honour version of the crux in silver. The shard of the emperors armour is contained within the crux and is not visible.

mostholycerebus
11-05-2005, 01:58
And you can always use black marble or granite, after all...

That's a goddam AWESOME idea.

Xhalax
11-05-2005, 02:00
and so much easier than painting gold as it's such a scummy colour to do.

charlie_c67
11-05-2005, 11:59
Depends how you do it. Personally I have no problem doing gold but find stone effects a pig, but I digress.

In the RT compendium it clearly show's the crux as being stone, nowadays this no longer appears to be a must do thing. Plus there's the fact that how can the more recent founding chapters have shards of the emperors armour within it? Perhaps that's why they're painted gold.

Lion El Jason
11-05-2005, 12:31
I think theres still a "pot of melted armour" somewhere on mars/terra where new terminator suits get their bit from.

Sai-Lauren
11-05-2005, 12:59
Actually, a common Space Marines believe is that armor should not be repainted over. It pisses off the 'spirit' of the armor. That's why Deathwatch leaves part of their armor in the original colors, and recent traitor marines don't just re-paint their whole armor. If the crux was made of stone, I think it unlikely it would be painted over.

That dates back to the first terminators (WD112) - basically the narrator is describing a UM squad about to be teleported into battle, and one of the suits is "on loan" from the Blood Angels. They say that everytime they've repainted the suit in UM colours, the wearer's been killed, that the suit knows it's been borrowed, and doesn't want it's true colours covered over.

Deathwatch is just the latest version of that.

I'd say it can be whatever colour you want, as when the CT enblem is commissioned and added to the bearers armour, they would be carrying out the various rites to allow it to be attached, appeasing both the armours' spirit and that of the emblem itself (especially if it has a shard of the emperors armour). It's just a small step from there to an extra rite to appease the spirits and allow the emblem to be painted in whatever colours the bearer wants(I personally go with gold and bone for the skull, but I'm a traditionalist like that ;))

charlie_c67
11-05-2005, 13:07
Actually it's a UM suit loaned to the BA's....minor point ;)

Xhalax
11-05-2005, 16:41
In novel fluff....I find it amazing that there's any suits of Terminator armour left as the Termies nearly always seem to get shot to bits and there's so many 'extra-large' space marines walking around with scrouged Terminator armour on...that it makes me wonder how many suits are left.

Though, wouldn't scrouging armour from other sources to use to create a new suit anger the original machine spirits?

Sojourner
11-05-2005, 17:08
Terminators knocked out in battle don't necessarily die - and indeed they're even less likely to than regular marines.

As for the 'scrounged' bits - I think that's just a modelling liberty.

Anvils Hammer
19-05-2005, 12:12
in storm of iron a terminator is shot in the chest with a plasma gun, pumped full of bolter rounds, smacked witha power fist and stabbed through the chest with a power sword several times. he was rescued and recovered compltly...

...only to be vaporised by a warhound titans turbo laser at point blank range later in the book!!!

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-05-2005, 17:09
in storm of iron a terminator is shot in the chest with a plasma gun, pumped full of bolter rounds, smacked witha power fist and stabbed through the chest with a power sword several times. he was rescued and recovered compltly...

...only to be vaporised by a warhound titans turbo laser at point blank range later in the book!!!

Wow, and I thought that guy from LotR that took 4 arrows before he finally stopped milking it and died was bad.

Lion El Jason
19-05-2005, 17:13
theres a quality bit of fluff about a terminator who gets stepped on by a titan -he was fine:)

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-05-2005, 17:20
Ol' Marny Calgar must have been killed in thousands of ways by now, he's fine, as are thousands of other terminators.

Yorkiebar
19-05-2005, 18:02
The Crux can of course be whatever colour you want, on account of a little secret I'm going to share with you all:
SPOILER (HIGHLIGHT TO REVEAL) It's you who's doing the painting!

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-05-2005, 19:16
Well, even fluff-wise it can be any colour, so you can, according ot the fluff, paint it any colour.

I think enough people have said that enough times with enough reasons in enough ways.

boogle
19-05-2005, 19:25
yeah i'll just stick to the Gold-Flesh Wash-Gold that i am doing now