PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point dwarf army

InferiorGuard
01-01-2006, 03:10
ok this is the first list ive made myself without any help.

Dwarf thane
hw/shield
Rune of stone
Rune of Cleveing
Rune of strikeing

Runesmith
Handgun/Greatweapon
Rune of stone

Master enjineer

Greatweapon/handgun

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,

20 dwarf warriors
Full comand
hw/shields

20 dwarf warriors
Full comand
hw/shields

16 dwarf longbeards
full command hw and shield
rune of grungni

16 dwarf thunderers
full com

16 dwarf thunderers
full com

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,

Dwarf Cannon
Enjineer and rune of reloading

Dwar Cannon
enjineer and rune of burning

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Grudge thrower

slayers x10
full command

ok thats it i think i may have messed up and have some points left soo.... i could really use some help i havent finnished building yet so im very open to change all comments are welcome

thankyou and happy newyear!

Tormentor of Slaanesh
01-01-2006, 09:30
I assume that the master engineer would be on the grudgethrower. wouldn't it be better to have him on a cannon and then give the grudge thrower an engineer.
Is it worth giving the slayers a standard and command, they won't win anything alone. Same comment for thunderers.

MEGALOMANIKER
01-01-2006, 14:03
Why not have the thunderers in groups of 10? And is it really necessary to have full command on them?

Stouty
01-01-2006, 15:32
Have to agree, though that said a unit of 16 thunderers ranked up 4 by 4 with full command will scare off the lighter assailents. A grudge thrower with an engineer and master engineer is quite accurate and reliable. he MEng allows for re-rolls on the artillary dice and Eng allows for reolls on the missfire chart. With a cannon a MEng just allows for d6 wounds. Not really worth it.

InferiorGuard
01-01-2006, 17:40
I took too many speciel choices i thought the grudgethrower was a rare choice but its accually a speciel choice so i need to drop a cannon and that means i have 2 free rare choices .... orgen gun?

MEGALOMANIKER
01-01-2006, 18:08
Well if you were going to divide all those thunderers into 10 unit strong each I would go for a flame cannon.

Now I've counted to 4 special choices, what did I miss?

InferiorGuard
01-01-2006, 21:57
yea i accidentaly thought that the second page of speciels were rares lol sorry. Im ganna redo the list and post it tommarow maby. ..... any more help before i revise it?

InferiorGuard
01-01-2006, 22:59
Ok heres the updated list

Dwarf Thane
Hw/Shield
Rune of stone
rune of strikeing
rune of cleveing
rune of speed
rune of iron

Dwarf Runesmith
Hw/Runestave
Rune of Spellbreaking

Master Enjineer
Greatweapon/Handgun
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

20 dwarf warriors
hw/shield
Full command

20 dwarf warriors
hw/shield
Full command

16 dwarf thunderers
full command

16 dwarf thunderers
full command

16 dwarf long beards
Hw/Shield
Full comand
Rune of grungni
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dwarf cannon
+ enjineer
+rune of reloading

Dwarf Grudge thrower
+enjineer
+rune of accuaracy

10 dwarf slayers
full command
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,
Dwarf Orgen Gun
rune of penetrateing

ok thats it umm... i think this list is good so ill start the building process next week some time

btw sorry for double post.

charlie_c67
02-01-2006, 00:41
You might want to take the points off too, it upsets GW legal and the mods. Don't repost, just click the edit button. We don't want you kicked out after only just joining ;)

MEGALOMANIKER
02-01-2006, 10:46
Ok, have to ask you about thoose thunderers. How are you planning to use them?

I also thought that your list was going for above 2k, is it or is it not?

oma
02-01-2006, 11:12
you cant have runes on those rare choises.. so have rune of penetrating on the grudge thrower instead..

charlie_c67
02-01-2006, 13:12
Maybe I missed it, but where does it say that?

bored1
02-01-2006, 15:36
Dwarf Thane
Hw/Shield
Rune of stone
rune of strikeing
rune of cleveing
rune of speed
rune of iron

Most of these are not optimal. I'd go for something like: Great Weapon, MR of Kragg, Rune of Fury, and MR of Gromril. 4 attacks at WS6, s6 and a 1+ armor save. 17 pts more, but I think more generally effective.

16 dwarf thunderers
full command

16 dwarf thunderers
full command

I'd go with 12, without command but with shields. They can re-rank to provide flank support or withstand lighter units that charge them.

16 dwarf long beards
Hw/Shield
Full comand
Rune of grungni

Better use of 50 pts would be runes of courage/determination IMO.

InferiorGuard
02-01-2006, 18:32
Well im not changeing my champ but i think ill change the banner on the beards and im not sure about the thunderers could i get some more opinions on the number for thunderers?

charlie_c67
03-01-2006, 00:02
I've gone for 10 with full command, but like I said in my pm, I've only just dipped my toe in!

InferiorGuard
03-01-2006, 01:36
well i will build all the thunderers and change depending on the situation.

charlie_c67
03-01-2006, 15:38
Well, here's my 2000 point list if anyone wants to help me out too!

Lord
Dwarf Lord - Shield, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Master rune of Gromril, Sheild Bearers

Heroes
Thane - Army Battle Standard, master rune of fear, Either with Dwarf Warriors of Longbeards, see note 2 at end.

Runesmith - Great weapon, Shield, 2 Runes of Spell Breaking, Spell eater rune

Dragon Slayer - Rune of Might, Master rune of swiftness, Rune of Cleaving

Core Units
16 Rangers - Full Command, Shields

16 Warriors - Full Command, Shields, Includes Dwarf Lord

16 Longbeards - Full Command, Shields, Includes Runesmith

10 Thunderers - Full Command

10 Quarrellers - Full Command, Shields, See note 2 at the end

Special
10 Miners - Full command, Steam Drill

Cannon - Engineer, Rune of Re-loading, Rune of Burning

9 Slayers - Command, Dragon Slayer joins this unit.

1) After reading this thread I've considered losing the commands of the quarellers and thunderers and giving the Longbeards a standard with the rune of slowness. The Army Standard would therefore go with the dwarf Warriors. Otherwise he'd go with the Longbeards.

2) Another thought is to drop the Quarellers altogether, replace them with two Bolt throwers, both with Engineers, one has rune of seeking, the other has Rune of reloading. Leaving me with 8 points for something. Maybe give someone a run of stone.

How's that sound?

Tom Pearce
22-01-2011, 09:19
I'm new to the game & am wanting to build up a great army of dwarves.
I see that in the army list of Charlie_c67, you've got a unit of 10 miners.
What are they like to play with?
I'd like to use them to get behind enemy lines to attack key characters in my brother's army.
Any thoughts?

tmarichards
22-01-2011, 13:21
The Master Rune of Gromril is wasted on the Lord- the shieldsbearers and a Rune of Stone have exactly the same effect, for 20pts less than you're currently paying. What do you want from him? If you want hi to be very killy, a pair of runes of fury and a rune of cleaving will do great. If you want him to be very hard to kill, try the Master Rune of Adamant, rune of stone, rune of preservation and the Master Rune of Spite.

A runesmith can only take 75pts of Rune, so one Spellbreaking and one Spelleater/Master Rune of Balance is a good mix. There's also no point giving him a shield, as he can't use it once you give him the great weapon.

Dragon Slayers unfortunanely die very very quickly, slayers even more so unless you take a big unit of them. One tactic with them is to run them in a conga line 1x15, then stand them in front of your enemies deathstar unit- they will only get a handful of models to fight each turn, so shouldn't kill more than a couple of slayers who will stay there until the last one is dead. If you want to run a slayer hero, I'd suggest taking 2 with nothing on them, and using them to redirect. 50pts for a fairly killy unbreakable character is not a bad shout.

Making something cause fear is a bit of a waste now that BSBs allow you to re-roll it- one of the key pricing points behind this rune comes from back in late 6th/early 7th (when the current Dwarf book was written) when you'd auto-break someone if you beat them in combat and caused fear and outnumbered. Personally, I'd be inclined to take the BSB with the Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance and the Master Rune of Challenge- basically walk up to someone, then make them charge into your Lords unit or flee.

The only real use I can see for Rangers is if you make them Longbeards and give them throwing axes- S5 throwing axes can be very nasty...

I'd also take the warrior blocks in units of 30, with full command and great weapons. No need to bother with shields, your T4 will help against most shooting. And the stuff it won't help against, wouldn't be stopped by another pip of armour save.

I'm also not sure on standard Longbeards anymore- part of their points cost is the 6" re-roll panic bubble... but the BSB now gives you that for free over twice the distance. Longbeard rangers with throwing axes or no warriors would be my advice.

Thunderers/Quarrellers largely comes down to personal preference and experience- do you need that extra 6" to hit enemies that try to lurk away, or is the extra pip to hit and AP necessary against those armies that run at you? Personally, I take Thunderers because I love the classic metal models... but I would usually advise Quarrellers over them. Some people like to take them with great weapons, it's not something I'd recommend unless you're taking a big unit of around 20- 10 will lose too many models before they get to fight for the pts cost to be worthwhile.

I'd take the rune of forging instead of the rune of reloading on the cannon, now that war machines don't randomise to hit from shooting this rune is a bit useless (more often than not, if a war machine is engaged in combat it'll die anyway).

Other than that, if you can get the points free, a Grudge Thrower with 2 runes of penetrating and a rune of accuracy is always a good shout, as is an organ gun- I find that one of these complements the longer ranged Quarrellers very well. Also, as this doesn't roll to hit, you can safely put it 1" behind your lines and blast away with no penalites, while your opponent will be at -2 to shoot you and will struggle to engage it.

Miners are pretty sound, good for hunting war machines. One dirty trick you can play (if you feel so inclined) is to get out a unit of 20 before the start of the game and put them on the side of the board. Your opponent will worry you have a huge unit of them and probably over compensate, but when a mere unit of 10 walks on he'll have over invested against them. Dark Elf, Goblin and Skaven players can do the same with assassins, fanatics and assassins/gutter runners respectively :)