PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me where to stick my archmage?

Infiltraitor
25-06-2009, 03:24
Hey there, i'm giving HE a chance an i'm going with a level 4 AM w/ the book of Hoeth. I'm running a foot slogging CC/magic list and I've run into the problem of where my casters are going to be.

I have 2 blocks of spearmen, 1 block of PGs 1 block of WLs, 2 RBTs, a level 2 mage, 2 nobles (one of which is the BSB), and a great eagle. The obvious problem being that if I put him in a unit that will end up in combat, he will more then likely get killed and if I leave him out of a unit he will more then likely get killed.

Any suggestions..? Thanks in advance.

Isabel
25-06-2009, 04:00
I know a place you can stick your AM and all the high elves destroy magic scrolls...

Kidding ;)

But I commonly see HE players place casters with the bolt thrower crews. Good luck

Necromancy Black
25-06-2009, 04:03
Yeah warmachines are good places for them to go.

Urgat
25-06-2009, 07:38
I know a place you can stick your AM and all the high elves destroy magic scrolls...

Kidding ;)

I think everybody thought that one when they read the topic title :p

Oh and I third the bolt throwers.

EvC
25-06-2009, 09:56
Unless the enemy has cannons/ stone throwers. I was getting my Warriors' butts kicked by High Elves at a tournament a couple of months back and thought I'd struck gold when he moved his Archmage into a Bolt Thrower (Having cast Spirit of the Forge twice with IF to kill my Knights then my Lord), and lined up my Hellcannon... and missed of course. But if I'd hit, yum yum- no look out sir in there and they're easily singled out.

danny-d-b
25-06-2009, 10:16
archers or RBT
either is a good idea!

Spirit
25-06-2009, 10:35
It's proving very difficult for me to answer the threads title with anything other than:

Up your pointy eared ****. :p

I don't see why a RBT is a good place, it limits the casting of 24" spells for the firs turn (at least) and if any magic or shooting does get through, your mage is as good as dead.

I would say archers or maybe even swordmasters (if youve ranked them up to 7 like most people, the 13(?) asf S5 attacks should keep the mage relatively safe. Mut maybe thats overkill.

Shamfrit
25-06-2009, 11:47
Easy answer to this is to take Folriath's Robe and not the Book, and put your Archmage in any of your combat units alongside one of the Nobles/Champion - job done.

Isabel
25-06-2009, 11:58
I don't see why a RBT is a good place, it limits the casting of 24" spells for the firs turn (at least) and if any magic or shooting does get through, your mage is as good as dead.

I'm no professional on the matter, I dont play HE's. But all the HE players I've faced off against seem to prefer lore of heavens (no range restriction on damage spells) or High magic which has 24" range on all their attack spells which is all you need. Just a guess though, like I said, I never use em.

Infiltraitor
25-06-2009, 12:43
Just for ease of generating suggestions, here's the list so far:

AM, Book of Hoeth
Mage, level2, Sigil, silver wand
Noble, bsb, Warbanner, hvy armor, grt weapon
Noble, armor of caledor, grt weapon
19 spearmen, cmd x2
18 WL, cmd, banner of arcane
18 PG, cmd, amulet of fire, banner of sorcery
RBT x2
Grt eagle.

I'm trying to avoid dragons and the Battle banner. Please feel free to tear the list apart.

Spirit
25-06-2009, 12:55

AM, Book of Hoeth
19 spearmen, cmd x2
RBT x2
Grt eagle.

I'm trying to avoid dragons and the Battle banner. Please feel free to tear the list apart.

Would it not be best to drop one of the heroes so that you can get a bit more men on the table? 4 seems like overkill (this is 2000pts yes?)

Also, i'm no expert on the units for high elves, so unless you remove the acronyms i have no idea what your list consists of!

Amlesh
25-06-2009, 13:45
AM = Archmage
WL = White Lions
PG = Pheonix Guard
RBT = Take a guess...

Archers, Swordsmasters, and RBT's can all be good. Don't put him in with the war machines if your opponent has any cannons, stone throwers, hellcannons, etc. that can out-shoot and destroy the RBT (and its crew--including the AM).

Condottiere
25-06-2009, 19:05
That question could only have been answered one way.

I'd answer it that it depends on what lore your AM is taking; Heavens could be way in the back, High right in the middle, same as Beasts, etcetera.

nickyfoo
26-06-2009, 23:13
i say in your PG just for magic and shooting protection the before the get to combat take him out thats the way i do it and it always works

PARTYCHICORITA
27-06-2009, 01:01
Drop the book (it's a terrible item IMO) and go for the unkillable mage combo. Then place him on the PG.

famehunter
27-06-2009, 06:14
The AM definately has to go with the PG's. you can either place the lvl 2 with the AM and the PG's or you could place him with the rbt's since you re not using archers. You can also put him with the WL's but thats if you're feeling offensive.

Do NOT put them in the spearmen units.

Desert Rain
27-06-2009, 19:16
I place my archmage in either an archer unit or with the crew of the RBT. Sometimes he goes with my spears or swordmasters.

danny7865
28-06-2009, 22:24
I quite like putting my archmage in the middle of the white lions or PG.He can always refuse challenges and move out of harms way.

Shiodome
28-06-2009, 22:32
? no-one challenges when there's a mage in front rank (unless they have to). they just direct attacks at the mage.

Black_12
29-06-2009, 00:59
Where the sun doesn't shine? Or a big bunker of something that wont get charged..

Amlesh
29-06-2009, 02:09
Or a big bunker of something that wont get charged..

The problem is that HE don't really have a cheap bunkering unit.

Flash Felix
29-06-2009, 04:12

AM, Book of Hoeth
19 spearmen, cmd x2
RBT x2
Grt eagle.

G'day,

I think your BSB is very vulnerable; 5+ A/S, T3 and in combat means he's gonig to die very quickly. Even normal rank and file can kill him; the troops around them won't be able to kill all potential attackers, and they'll simply direct all their attacks at him. All for only an additional +2 CR (including Warbanner). I think his current setup is a very easy 242 VPs for your opponent (I think he's 142 points, plus 100VP bonus for killing a BSB).

My humble advice is to put the Warbanner on one of your spear units (they can use it after all), and give your BSB the Armour of Caledor and the Guardian Phoenix. If not those items, whatever 50 point combo you can come up with that will protect him.

Bitey
29-06-2009, 21:05
I have little experience of high elves, or indeed warhammer in general but the book of Hoeth strikes me as a big pile of expensive fail- 100 points to get irresistible force a few more times in a game than you would normally. To my mind there are far better and cheaper options for HE mages, as I see it if you're going down the book of hoeth route you might as well stump up the extra 100 or so to get teclis and irresistible force all the time....

Armilthuan
01-07-2009, 10:06
I'm surprised no one mentioned Lothern Seagaurd. They are able to fend off most wizard hunters and shoot if no danger is present. The 24 inch of the bows is the same range as most the Archmage spells. They can stand in a long line of 15 models, 10+5 or 3x5. Also remember that all ranks get to shoot at Large Targets and units on a hill.

Really, a unit of 14 is the best place to put an archmage for me.

danny7865
01-07-2009, 22:27
I see your point but the archmage could have better items , try the unkillable mage with silver wand ? Then it doesnt matter where you put them and they have a better line of sight

puppetmaster24
01-07-2009, 22:30
i know where to stick your archmage herr herr herr.