PDA

View Full Version : DE 2250pts.

Shimmergloom
25-06-2009, 04:52
Playing a couple of games this weekend. First against WoC then a tentatively scheduled game vs Greenskins as game 2.

Both players are relatively new and I considered just using greenskins vs them, but time constraints and a real need to play some games as dark elves to be more familiar with them, has led me to use my dark elves in both games. But, I am leaving out things like 2 hydras, heavy magic and items like the ring or pendant.

I tried to make a fairly balanced list.

Here's what I got so far:

1. General: Master
Cold one, cloak, lance, shield
Armor of Eternal Servitude

145pts.

2. BSB: Death Hag
Cauldron of Blood

225pts total.

3. Lvl 2. Sorc
Dark elf steed(I just want to use this model). Lifetaker(I looked through the book and can find nothing in the brb or de book that would disallow her from taking lifetaker)

177pts.

4. Lvl 2. Sorc
2 scrolls

185pts.

5. 20 Warriors
Full command

135pts.

6. 5 dark riders
repeater crossbows

110pts.

7. 5 dark riders
repeater crossbows

110pts.

8. 5 harpies

55pts.

9. 5 harpies

55pts.

10. 19 Black Guard
Full Command
Banner of Har Gareth
Champ carries Soulrender

332pts total

11. 6 Cold One Knights
Standard/Musician

186pts.

12. 5 shades

80pts.

13. 5 shades

80pts.

14. Hydra: 175pts.
15. 2 RBTs: 100pts each.

Opinions? Thoughts?

The SkaerKrow
25-06-2009, 11:32
Looks like a well balanced list. My preference with Black Guard regiments is for wider frontage and less ranks, as Black Guard aren't well suited to a static CR role. Especially with the addition of the Banner of Har Ganeth and the Soulrender, you should have more than enough active CR to gain an advantage during combat resolution.

Otherwise, you'd do well to include some Musicians in your Dark Rider units, especially if you plan on putting your mounted Sorceress there. It doesn't take much to panic those units by way of shooting, and it's easy for that 3D6 flee distance to take the unit to or very near the edge of the board, close enough that you absolutely can't afford to fail to rally after the initial flee move.

chippyman64
25-06-2009, 17:52
as a 2.5k list its ishish but recduce thing like a bolt thrower ect to get to 2k and you got a mighty fine list

The SkaerKrow
25-06-2009, 18:00
To my understanding, 2,250 points is something of a tournament standard size, at least in the US. So while it might seem like an odd build total, it's actually not.

Shimmergloom
25-06-2009, 20:24
Looks like a well balanced list. My preference with Black Guard regiments is for wider frontage and less ranks, as Black Guard aren't well suited to a static CR role. Especially with the addition of the Banner of Har Ganeth and the Soulrender, you should have more than enough active CR to gain an advantage during combat resolution.

Otherwise, you'd do well to include some Musicians in your Dark Rider units, especially if you plan on putting your mounted Sorceress there. It doesn't take much to panic those units by way of shooting, and it's easy for that 3D6 flee distance to take the unit to or very near the edge of the board, close enough that you absolutely can't afford to fail to rally after the initial flee move.

I'm planning to have her start in the black guard. And plan on making them at least 6, but probably 7 wide.

And yes, 2250 lists are the most common here.

FunkyRatDemon
25-06-2009, 22:40
Shades need GW's. 2 HW is useless, but hatred with S5 can do wonders!

fubukii
25-06-2009, 23:13
has potential to be alot better but due to some odd choices its a ok list overal.

- Give your general the pendant. (i know you said you dont want too, but id say give him this or upgrade him to a dreadlord with Magic resistance so you have some MAgic defense)
- drop lvl 2 on mage 4 powerdice wont do much for casting. ( 2 scrolls may be better, or Null tailsmans)
- consider giving warriors a assassin. At the very least warbanner/ or AP banner
- add 1 bg to go for a 21 man unit.
- drop banner on knights, not worth taking on a small knight unit to easy to capture. Maybe drop 1 knight.
- give shades great weapons, and consider raising to 7 men in size
- No ring of hotek means any army with any considerable amount of powerdice will have its way with your army. needs more magic defense, either another scroll caddy or Null tailsmans, woc generally run alot of magic so you may be in alot of trouble

Shimmergloom
26-06-2009, 05:12
has potential to be alot better but due to some odd choices its a ok list overal.

- Give your general the pendant. (i know you said you dont want too, but id say give him this or upgrade him to a dreadlord with Magic resistance so you have some MAgic defense)
- drop lvl 2 on mage 4 powerdice wont do much for casting. ( 2 scrolls may be better, or Null tailsmans)
- consider giving warriors a assassin. At the very least warbanner/ or AP banner
- add 1 bg to go for a 21 man unit.
- drop banner on knights, not worth taking on a small knight unit to easy to capture. Maybe drop 1 knight.
- give shades great weapons, and consider raising to 7 men in size
- No ring of hotek means any army with any considerable amount of powerdice will have its way with your army. needs more magic defense, either another scroll caddy or Null tailsmans, woc generally run alot of magic so you may be in alot of trouble

Alot of this is good advice, but really like I said, both the players I am playing are new to fantasy(relatively). Which is why I'm running a lower power leveled kind of army for these two games. No need to run an optimal powered build while they are learning the ends and outs of the game. That could just send them back to 40k.

I figure win or lose, it's good practice to try and get use to using the less powerful dark elf units, to become less dependent on the powered up things like the pendant or ring of hotek.

Now if I were playing the 2500pt game against lizzies that I was expecting(turns out the greenskin player will be playing WoC as well) then I definately would have had the pendant and 2 hydras in this army along with an assassin.

They may run alot of magic, which is one reason I have 2 sorcs for the extra dispel dice. 4 dispel dice, 2 scrolls and 2 units with Magic resistance and keeping the 5+ ward on the BG as long as possible, is fairly good magic protection. And it does give me the opportunity to not depend on the ring for my protection.

And 2 lvl 2's give 6 power dice, not just 4. And coupled with Power of Darkness, I can turn those 6 into more power dice or force him to waste dispel dice to keep me from getting extra dice.

Plus, with Lifetaker, I sorta consider that to be like a low leveled bound spell that cannot be dispelled.

Doombolt in the magic phase backed by lifetaker in the shooting phase has the potential to mess up an Maurauder horse unit pretty thoroughly.

Kill-Freedom
26-06-2009, 08:16
lifetaker a magic weopon? if so, why is it on a wizard............. wow 3 shots, what a waste of points, LOL, better to gear it out to be a better caster

The SkaerKrow
26-06-2009, 11:30
lifetaker a magic weopon? if so, why is it on a wizard............. wow 3 shots, what a waste of points, LOL, better to gear it out to be a better casterNot really. The Lifetaker puts out about as much damage as a Rank 1 Magic Missile, cannot fail to cast or be dispelled, and circumvents the pedestrian Ballistic Skill of its user. Beyond that, it doesn't contradict the primary idiom of a Wizard (staying at range and out of combat). While it's not a conventional choice, it is sound.

Shimmergloom
26-06-2009, 12:46
Yep, average roll for the basic magic S4 missle is a 3 or 4. So 3 S4 hits that can be dispelled(although this is often let through). Lifetaker is S4, 30" range(so longer range than most magic missles) and hits on 2+, guaranteed 3 shots. You should miss 1 out of 6 on average.

There's alot to love about lifetaker, being used by a spellcaster. I think overall it may be as effective as dark riders with repeaters.