PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a unit with a lord in it

roflcopter 9000
25-06-2009, 07:38
If I put a supreme sorceress in a unit of dark riders, can the other player choose to shoot at the sorceress only? I dont want to sound like a sore loser, but losing a 300 pt sorceress in the first turn made me mad ( i was counting on chillwind to tie up those archers!). Also, can woods be placed in my deployment zone? I was getting reared the entire game :*(

Falkman
25-06-2009, 07:49
No he can't (some special exceptions apply, like Hochland Long Rifles and some spells).

Harwammer
25-06-2009, 08:20
This is all from memory so forgive any errors.

For weapons based on ballistic skill he has to shoot at the unit. If there are less than 5 rank and file models then there is a chance some hits will be randomised onto the character.

For template weapons and cannons he can try have the shot affect the character, but if you have 5 or more rank and file troops in the unit you can attempt a 'look out sir' roll to make a trooper take the hit instead of the character.

The character may be hit by a bolt thrower if they are are no rank and file troops in the rank the bolt is passing through (or file if the bolt thrower was shot at a flank).

Characters may be picked out of units if they are a large target or have a high US (5 I think)

Yrrdead
25-06-2009, 08:23
Page 74 is where you need to look. This section also has the "Look Out, Sir!" description. But basically Falkman has laid it out for you. One other thing is for your character to remain "hidden" there must be at least 5 non-characters otherwise shooting hits are distributed.

As far as the terrain goes, that really depends on how your gaming group wants to do it. The BRB has suggestions on terrain based on point values and on Page 2 of the BRB it describes a way to set up terrain. Normally what I do is have a 3rd party set up terrain.

Also wood elves in a normal game(aka pitched battle, Welf FAQ) have the ability to place a wood (6" in diameter or less) anywhere on their side of the table prior to deployment.

Necromancy Black
25-06-2009, 09:08
Characters may be picked out of units if they are a large target or have a high US (5 I think)

US 5 and up they can be picked out, but Large Target has nothing to do with it. Most Large Targets in the game as US 5 or higher though.

Remember that for shooting, Unit Champions count as characters. So if you have 5 models and a character, and one of those models is a unit champion then the unit will not get look out Sir and shooting with be distributed and/or randomised against the characters and the unit.

PeG
25-06-2009, 14:00
WE have a magic bow that lets them pick out targets from units but unless he was using that one you played it wrong and also using that item its not possible to get enough shots to kill a lord level character in one turn. He can combine it with a magic arrow but that would involve some other tests as well.

T10
25-06-2009, 17:24
If I put a supreme sorceress in a unit of dark riders, can the other player choose to shoot at the sorceress only? I dont want to sound like a sore loser, but losing a 300 pt sorceress in the first turn made me mad ( i was counting on chillwind to tie up those archers!). Also, can woods be placed in my deployment zone? I was getting reared the entire game :*(

In step 1 of a standard game, setting up the battle field is done by first selecting an appropriate amount of terrain and then taking turns in selecting a piece of terrain to place on the table. Your opponent can indeed set up a wood in "your" deployment zone. This is because selecting the deployment zone is done in step 3.

It should be obvious that neither player can be certain of which deployment zone he will end up with. Most players will realize that placing terrain in a manner that strongly favours one side (of the table, or an army) is risky and therefore best avoided.

-T10