PDA

View Full Version : The importance of fleeing

The Night Sojourner
01-01-2006, 05:16
Yes, this is wierd I believe that many ppl have thought the importance of the strategic retreat in order to win the battle. I am just wondering how many ppl have used a fleeing unit to make you opponent extend themself or begin a counter attack. so what's the verdict?

Tormentor of Slaanesh
01-01-2006, 09:32
Its a good plan for armies that can flee, mine have a problem, I sometimes do it but not that often, at the end of battles is sometimes good, just to leave that knight unit high and dry.

Scythe
01-01-2006, 11:26
Fleeing is essential to some armies success. For starters, Light Cavalry is best when fleeing. They can rally, and move again to blocker position. And they flee 3D6, which means you will probably outrun most enemies. Also, other armies base their tactics round fleeing. A dark elf multiple small units army, for example, depends on outrunning the enemy with some small units, and then striking back with several others in flanks. Goblin only armies can also benefit from fleeing and then countercharging with one of those many units. It is often hopeless to hold to a charge when you have no chance of winning and donīt have to hold the enemy into place. In such cases, it saves you often a lot victory points to simply flee instead of being cut down in combat.

archonbrujah
01-01-2006, 21:41
Fleeing rocks when used well. I earned my flee from charges stripes with my DE's, after years of playing Dwarves (not a strong flee army BTW).

It is really wild to watch your regular opponents jaw drop when you flee from a charge, leaving their uber unit of death exposed out of their battle line, ready for your own counter charge.

Not quite so useful with low LD armies, you can't really expect that they'll get it together before running off the field, netting the opponent almost as many vp's as running them down (I use alot of banners).

Archonbrujah

MadJackMcJack
01-01-2006, 23:08
I only really do it with wolf riders. Fleeing with anything else just isn't orcy, and my foot gobbos are night gobbos, and therefore if they fled, I wouldn't see them again. Plus fanatics means they rarely get properly charged.

Crazy Harborc
01-01-2006, 23:27
I've made it work in WHFB........I've watched a unit that needed a 9 to rally run off the board (I rolled boxcars TWICE). The ideal is to draw the opponent out with cheap troops(with a standard). It's easier in a WAB games.

Keller
02-01-2006, 04:06
The validity of fleeing is really dependent on the situation. Many armies have units that they can use to flee charges just to set up the enemy for a counter attack. Generally, you only want to do this if you have high leadership, don't cause panic, or are safely away from other, friendly units.

I don't think it a good idea to flee all of the time, as it will annoy opponents and likely force them to play too defensively. Why charge when they will always fail when you run away? Its not too difficult to work around enemy flee tactics either, that is, if you have the right units of your own.

Just look at what you stand to lose by holding the charge vs what you can do by fleeing.

Gazak Blacktoof
02-01-2006, 18:49
The chance to survive and get back into the fight has to be weighed up against the disruption to your battle line. Fleeing can leave you with a gaping hole or cause other units to flee. However if you can't see that it'll cause immediate problems its often best to risk fleeing, if you'll be overwhelmed, as the chance of survival is far better than being run to ground with no chance of retaliation.

Our regular brettonain player isn't too chivalrous to flee from a charge if he thinks he's gonna get swamped. The good thing about fleeing with brettonians is that you'll be running 3D6" so its unlikely you'll be caught, its also likely you'll rally immediately. The flipside of it is that if you fail to rally you'll likely peg it off the board and in any event you'll have lost your ward save.

When playing with greenskins (as I do on occasion) the best thing is that units wont panic each other when fleeing as orc units are too small to panic goblins and orcs don't give a damn about the little uns. If you take this in to account when setting up your line you can flee from almost any charge and be sure that your line wont rout because of it. Its especially useful when playing deffensively. If you move forward early in the game you give yourself some extra space to flee into, this can be invaluable for making sure your units don't run all the way off the board. It also means you can counter charge earlier against the now out of position enemy units, giving you extra turns to bash heads and boost your magical capabilities.

There is one large disadvantage with using lures as an orc and goblin player, unpredictability. Your units are quite capable of ruining your carefully crafted plans. The unit that was meant to bait the enemy into charging could itself end up charging the enemy thanks to animosity, or simply ending up too close to flee when the charge comes. You have two options when this happens; either write the unit off or shout WAAAAGH!!! And go with the flow, launching your line forward in a bid to assist the beleagured unit, chariots are particularly useful in this event as they have a good charge range and do not suffer from animosity themselves.

One thing all armies have to consider when opting to flee is what other units are along your line of rout, warmachines and skirmishers don't take kindly to having large blocks of ranked infantry fleeing in their direction. For one it blocks their lines of sight and more importantly its likely to panic them straight off the board,

Greymarch
02-01-2006, 20:46
Flee Skavenslaves! Flee! Sure they won't rally, but at 2 points a pop who cares?

Scythe
03-01-2006, 16:58
Heh, if you keep a warlord near, even slaves will rally ;)

The Night Sojourner
03-01-2006, 17:45
this is great b/c everybody is like, when the situation is bad, flee. you know it makes attcking so much harder in this game b/c neither side wants a unit to get cuaght in the open, so players really have to get with in close distances before actually getting a successful charge

Shagrat
03-01-2006, 18:06
My Empire detachments are runners... They flee most of the charges against then, just to place the enemy unit in the close range of my Helblaster...
And as they are detachments, the rest of the army don't care if they run...(no panic tests):D