PDA

View Full Version : (Dark Elves) 2,250pt list for the Buckeye

The SkaerKrow
25-06-2009, 18:20
Going to Buckeye Battles (a regional GT) again this year, which will be my first tournament showing with the "new" Dark Elves. I'll be taking a similar list to what I used to run back in 6th Edition, barring the addition of a Supreme Sorceress (to make up for reduced point costs) and a unit of Black Guard (replacing what had been a third unit of 20 Dark Elf Warriors).

Anyhow, I was interested in getting some feedback on the list, be it tactical suggestions or a general evaluation of its content.

1 Supreme Sorceress @ 355 Pts
General; Magic Level 4
Pendant of Khaeleth
Power Stone
Dispel Scroll
Tome of Furion

1 Sorceress @ 185 Pts
Magic Level 2
Darkstar Cloak
Dispel Scroll

1 Master @ 336 Pts
Manticore
Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Sword of Might
Armour of Eternal Servitude

19 Dark Elf Warriors @ 142 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

19 Dark Elf Warriors @ 142 Pts

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts
Spear; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour; Musician

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts

11 Black Guard @ 164 Pts
Halberd; Heavy Armour; Musician; Tower Master (Champion)

1 Cold One Chariot @ 100 Pts

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers @ 200 Pts

1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

Total Points: 2,250

FunkyRatDemon
25-06-2009, 22:22
You need to bulk up your Black Guard and give the Tower Master either a Null Stone or Crimson Death, then give the unit the ASF Banner

Your Lv2 Sorceress should have the Dagger instead to help your Magic Phase

A Lance for your Mounted Master is also wanted, just in case the S6 will actually matter more

Kill-Freedom
26-06-2009, 08:23
YOu list is no where near tournament lvl

YOu need to do some work, if you want to compete and not get wipe out

Increase black guard size, and try and get the ring of darkness, and ring of hotek (keep this item away form your own wizards)

RIng of darkness is the best item you can protect your blackguard with, seeing heavy armour doesnt realy cut it

The SkaerKrow
26-06-2009, 11:21
Fielded in such small numbers, I'm not particularly concerned with protecting the Black Guard. They're in the list as a delaying piece, a sacrificial unit more than anything, so kitting them out with more points would be counter-productive. Stubborn and Immune to Psychology are defensive abilities, and the Black Guard's limited capacity for offense sees them overshadowed by the Manticore/Master, Hydra and Chariots.

I'm really not at all worried about being "tournament level," as the Buckeye uses a banding system to match up armies. I've been told that my list has placed in the middle band, so I shouldn't have to worry about a whole lot of those "tournament level" armies.

Besides, I'd much rather lose with an army of my choice than win with a cookie-cutter.

Eulogy2
26-06-2009, 17:08
i like what your doing and i like your attitude about it. my only concern is the lack of a battle standard at 2250 can hurt at times. but seeing as you have as many or more hammer units as you do "anvils", i think you can work around loosing combats if you time your flank charges well. but thats easier said then done, thus the enjoyment of the game:). for me atleast.

chippyman64
26-06-2009, 17:39
ok knowing the usual run of armies at these types of tornies:
1) most armies will have 1 maybe 2 metal units which are the core part of the plan
2) most Lords will either be magic heavy or combat heavy
3) only 3-4 infantry blocks

so how many of these points does this army manage to complete -1/2 maybe as your heroes are hammers, consider reduce the number of small units like dark riders to take some solid, reliable units like chariots or COK.

willowdark
26-06-2009, 18:38
2 big static spears and 2 chariots. Yum! You should try to give one the Warbanner. it really is worth it.

Would you consider giving the Tome to your Lvl2. with PoD you generate enough powerdice as you need to, but with only 2 spells there's a chance you'll get stuck with nothing worth casting. Your Lvl4 gets her choice of 4 spells already, that's good odds. Give her the Black Staff. I'm learning quickly that having all of your PoD's dispelled really ruins your magic output, so having a free one really helps making sure you get one through. And bound spells are always great to boost your magic phase.

other than that, I love it. It really plays a lot like the list I've been running. I've even considered the Mantimaster, so I'd love to here how he plays.

Shadowsinner
26-06-2009, 18:55
I think as a start your list has potential but you should look into fleshing it out more. here are my suggestions...

I would make the lord a level 3... since she already has the tome shell still have 4 spells, and it will free up some points for your army.

give the level 2 a dagger instead of the cloak, she will be able to cast off spells more frequently

make the master a bsb and drop the sword of might. give him a lance and up his armor. maybe give him a talisman of protection

increase two of the dark rider units to 6 and drop the third, OR increase one unit to 6 and replace the second unit with actual repeater crossbowmen and drop the third, with the extra points buy a unit or two of harpies. if not then id recommend the 2 units of riders and a unit of xbows

the black guard is ok, given their small size they can be used as a not too expensive sponge. Id say pair the unit up with the hydra

and finally... NO ASSASSIN??? yous crazy!

Eulogy2
26-06-2009, 21:13
i kinda like the idea of no assassin. everyone in their right mind will expect there to be atleast one in one of the infantry blocks, and that can greatly affect how your opponent will act and play. doing different things like this gives you an advantage from the start, even if you dont have it in the middle of the game.

that being said think a unit of 10 xbow man would be useful as well and may be worth droppin a unit of dark riders for em.

Violadudester
27-06-2009, 02:57
I generally agree with what others have said about the list, you have the right units but you need to reinforce them with numbers rather than spread yourself thinly.

Drop a unit of warriors, a chariot, and dark riders. Add at least 16-18 Black Guard with the Banner of Har Ganeth, maybe give the champion a ring of hotek or soul render; beef up the remaining warrior unit to 25 for dagger sacrifices. I personally love to take 2x5 harpies for war machine hunting, as I think they are a bit more maneuverable than dark riders and will help with keeping those stationary machines on them rather than your expensive manticore. Also add a unit of crossbowmen with shields/musician to improve your already strong fire base.

A ring of darkness will help your master out tremendously as the manticore will be target #1 on your opponent's shooting list. Simply equip the master with a HA/Shield/lance. All of this should add to the unit's survivability so you can get those crucial rear/flank charges off.

I personally would not recommend taking chariots in tournament play, a failed stupidity check as well as the threat of S7 attacks will only work against you.

ICEMANQ
27-06-2009, 04:40
Black Guard are great for taking a veyr powerful charge, holding with 2 models left and then you flank charge with something. A unit of 12 is too easy to dissappear, 14 is good.

The SkaerKrow
03-07-2009, 14:52
After finding that I didn't particularly enjoy my original list, I made the following revision.

1 Supreme Sorceress @ 335 Pts
General; Magic Level 4
Pendant of Khaeleth
Dispel Scroll
Tome of Furion

1 Sorceress @ 185 Pts
Magic Level 2
Darkstar Cloak
Dispel Scroll

1 Master @ 336 Pts
on Manticore
Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Sword of Might
Armour of Eternal Servitude

19 Dark Elf Warriors @ 288 Pts
1 Dark Elf Assassin @ [146] Pts
2ndWeapon
Rune of Khaine
Manbane

19 Dark Elf Warriors @ 293 Pts
1 Dark Elf Assassin @ [151] Pts
2ndWeapon
Rune of Khaine
Touch of Death

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts

2 Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 200 Pts

1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

Casting Pool: 9
Dispel Pool: 5
Models in Army: 65

Total Army Cost: 2246

Beyond removing the Black Guard from my list (a unit that I really just do not like), this revision provides some defense for my Warrior blocks when charged by Dragons and the like, as well as giving them some hitting power in their own right. To bring them into the fold I dropped the Black Guard, a unit of Dark Riders and my Power Stone.

Comments are of course welcome.